Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leave it to Bill Simmons to be the 1st media guy to compare Gordon to The Boston Strangler, sure hope no one finds the next Dennis Johnson ;)

t took 20 years, but we finally found the next Andrew Toney. That "35-point/23-minute/22-point fourth quarter" game at Charlotte ranks up there with the Sleepy Floyd Game, Tony Delk's 53-point game and Todd Day's 29-point half at the FleetCenter as one of the most random, incredible performances I've ever seen. He's an absolute assassin. Do you think anyone wants to play the Bulls in the playoffs with this guy? Do you remember what happened in the Sixers-Celtics series back in 1982, when a young Toney single-handedly destroyed the defending champs?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050408&num=0

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Sweet column. Even Crawford got ranked in the MVP race.

He was ranked 278th, and only then as a shining example of Isaiah Thomas' ineptitude. But hey, any pub is good pub, right? :none:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yeah, that was a really well done column by Bill Simmons who has been pretty consistent since coming back from The Jimmy Kimmel Show or wherever he was.

I have tried to resist Simmons and his "secret club" style of writing but, darn it all, the man's funny and pretty observant. Wink and nod all you want, Bill, me and your millions and millions (and millions) of specially qualified friends like what you have to say.

Plus, Ben at 11 and Allen Iverson at 2 makes me very happy...! :)

edit: I TOLD you all that Crawford would finish ahead of Artest and Randolph in an MVP race... :no:

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
278. Jamal Crawford

If the NBA was a roto league, the other owners would have sent Isiah Thomas the "Hey, no offense, but maybe you should bring a partner next season" e-mail by now.
funny enough to include exact quote.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
spongyfungy said:
Ben is the highest ranked non-starter. Isn't that what the Sixth man award is?
Sure is. The media pundits love Gordon and with good reason.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
L.O.B said:
Do any of you guys remember how good Andrew Toney was?
Actually, I had never heard ot Toney before he was mentioned in the article. Can you shed any light?

Another snipit I found interesting given recent conversation. He would make a great Bull.

69. Bobby Simmons
Heart and soul of a Clippers team that could have won 45-50 games had they stayed healthy and/or Elgin Baylor realized you could make trades during the season. When they screw up and allow him to sign with a contender this summer – where he'll thrive, by the way, because he's a good guy and the ultimate fifth banana – I'm declaring war on Elgin, Donald Sterling and the entire Clippers franchise. I'm going to be like Stallone in "First Blood," when he has the knife to Brian Dennehy's throat: "You want a war? I'll give you a war you wouldn't believe."

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
such sweet thunder said:
Actually, I had never heard ot Toney before he was mentioned in the article. Can you shed any light?
Here's a link http://www.sixersonline.net/spotlight/andrew_toney.htm

Toney was a heck of a scorer back when the Sixers were winning with Dr J, Moses Malone and Mo Cheeks. Heck the Back court of Duhon and Gordon kinda reminds me of Cheeks and Toney. Sadly, Andrew Toney got foot problems that ended his career.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
All it does is illustrate how much of an *** Harold Katz was. If modern medicine was better in the 80's, he would have been a HOF IMO.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm too young to remember Toney in person but, damn, Ben sounds like a carbon copy of him all the way down to the impossibly competitive attitude.

Anyone who has seen them both care to compare?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts