Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God, every bone in my body wants to hate the guy for all of the stupid, outlandish things he says, but....

a) he won Portland's only Title.

b) it's obvious when he does Blazer games how much he LOVES this city.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I like Walton, too, but I had to laugh tonight when the Blazers went down by 2 points and he said they were "in a world of trouble."

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I love it how everything is "In the history of the game of basketball"

I also laughed when they went to commercial and the blazers had a "commanding" 3 point lead.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I got the sense that he loves Portland, but dislikes the current team. He clearly had a bias towards Detroit in this last game.

I did laugh a little about some of his Dixon comments, obviously this was the first Blazer game he's watched this season.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i was getting sick of his over-exaggeration. although i did like it when he said 'clearly the next championship is just around the corner' or something to that effect. it seems like the second half is when he started ripping the blazers apart for anything they did.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
He mentioned Darnell Valentine during the game, comparing one of Telfair's drives to Valentine's.

I like when he mentions former Blazers. :greatjob: I used to really dislike Walton as a commentator, then I liked him for comic value, now I guess I'm in the acceptance phase.

I'd take Bill Walton over Greg Anthony any day.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Did everyone else miss it? Just as D-Miles put up an ill-advised shot in the 4th, Bill Walton said, "The Blazers have shot their wad tonight." That's comedy gold there.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Verro said:
I got the sense that he loves Portland, but dislikes the current team. He clearly had a bias towards Detroit in this last game.

I did laugh a little about some of his Dixon comments, obviously this was the first Blazer game he's watched this season.
Walton is the king of hyperbole. He loved the Blazers in the first half and hated them in the second half. It happens with every team in every game. Even other commentators call him on his flip-flop comments.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Was I the only one who laughed when the Blazers were down by three in the last minute of the game and Walton said something like "The Blazers need to draw up a play for Juan Dixon!"

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
Was I the only one who laughed when the Blazers were down by three in the last minute of the game and Walton said something like "The Blazers need to draw up a play for Juan Dixon!"

Probably. Dixon didn't do much wrong tonight.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Verro said:
He loves the city, but he doesn't want the Blazers to win. If the Blazers win another championship, it will diminish him. Jack Ramsay is the same way.

Maybe another 20 years or so and they'll get over themselves. But I doubt it.

barfo

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I thought it was comedic genius when he was talking about Jarrett Jack's college days and rambling on about how "Paul Hewitt is one of the single greatest coaches in the history of this great country of ours", the announcer next to him chuckled and was pretty much speechless.....

Waltons a joke as announcer.....

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
You know, I like Walton a lot, he's my fav player and I think the best player to put on a Blazer uniform, so I feel the need to defend him, but it's so hard to do so. He can be embarrassing at times, but he's earn the right I guess and he does get paid for doing it and at times he will say something that makes sense. Otoh even a broken clock is right twice a day.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Obviously a lot of his comments are pure hyperbole... while a lot of other announcers dabble in this, Walton regularly goes over the top with a twinkle in his eye. It's a joke people... if your buttons are getting pushed, thats on you.

One of his weirdest comments was early in the game in response to the other announcer commenting on Sebastian.... something along the lines of "Has their ever been a 20 year old starting point guard?" Walton responded that yes, Johnny Davis right here in Portland during the championship year.

ummm Bill? Do you remember Dave Twardzik?

STOMP

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I thought it was comedic genius when he was talking about Jarrett Jack's college days and rambling on about how "Paul Hewitt is one of the single greatest coaches in the history of this great country of ours", the announcer next to him chuckled and was pretty much speechless.....

Waltons a joke as announcer.....
It was worse then that. He said one of the "greatest minds", so it was even more ridiculous. Anyways, I find Walton funny. I don't mean laughing with him funny, I mean laughing at him funny. However, thats enough for me to like to listen to him occasionally for sheer comedic value.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
What I thought was hilarious was it sounds like Walton and that other announcer just hate each other and are trying to diss each other in a really nice voice. I was cracking up at him after the Hewitt comment, the other guy was like WTF are you talking about...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts