Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a Providence Journal sports writer:

@KevinMcNamara33: URI's Billy Baron is on the move again. Will transfer, destination unclear.

Not sure why he waited until now to do it...

·
Registered
880 Posts
From a Providence Journal sports writer:

@KevinMcNamara33: URI's Billy Baron is on the move again. Will transfer, destination unclear.

Not sure why he waited until now to do it...
Color me unsurprised. What are the chances he ends up at Canisius?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Billy Baron Timeline

October-2009
Verbally commits to URI - states that he wants to play for his Dad and follow in the footsteps of brother Jimmy playing for the program he grew up around. Is quoted as saying:
"I love this place. I've been here since I was 10 or 11. This is where I want to be."

March-2010
Changes his mind and signs LOI with Virginia. Enrolls at UVA and sees immediate playing time as a freshman in early OOC season against scrub teams. Puts up good numbers. Playing time decreases as season progresses.

November-2010
Billy Baron scores 19 pts against Willima & Mary in his first collegiate game.

December-2010
Announces his intention to transfer out of UVa after just one semester. Enrolls at URI to play for his Dad where he sits out one full years before becoming eligible for the 2nd semester. Immediately becomes one of the key players on the team.

March-2012
Coach Jim Baron is fired by URI after the conclusion of a nighmare season ending 11 year stint in Kingston.

April-2012
Dan Hurley hired by URI. Billy tells Hurley that he is all in for his final two seasons in Kingston, and said that despite the difficulties, there is no place he would rather be. Is quoted as saying "This is my home. This is where I want to be."

May-2012
Central Michigan coach Ernie Zeigler's son Trey gets waiver to transfer to Pitt with no sit out penalty after his father is fired by school. Trey had just completed his sophomore year.

June-2012
Billy Baron announces he will leave URI. Baron will have played one semester at UVa and one semester at URI.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Billy Baron Timeline

October-2009
Verbally commits to URI - states that he wants to play for his Dad and follow in the footsteps of brother Jimmy playing for the program he grew up around. Is quoted as saying:
"I love this place. I've been here since I was 10 or 11. This is where I want to be."

March-2010
Changes his mind and signs LOI with Virginia. Enrolls at UVA and sees immediate playing time as a freshman in early OOC season against scrub teams. Puts up good numbers. Playing time decreases as season progresses.

December-2010
Announces his intention to transfer out of UVa after just one semester. Enrolls at URI to play for his Dad where he sits out one full years before becoming eligible for the 2nd semsester. Immediately becomes of of the key players on the team.

March-2012
Coach Jim Baron his fired by URI after the conclusion of a nighmare season ending 11 year stint in Kingston.

April-2012
Dan Hurley hired by URI. Billy tells Hurley that he is all in for his final two seasons in Kingston, and said that despite the difficulties, there is no place he would rather be. Is quoted as saying "This is my home. This is where I want to be."

May-2012
Central Michigan coache Ernie Zeigler's son Trey gets waiver to transfer with no sit out penalty after his father is fired by school. Trey had just completed his sopohomore year.

June-2012
Billy Baron announces he will leave URI. Baron will have played one semester at UVa and one semester at URI.
That is about all that needs to be read, now that he knows (or at least assumes) he won't lose a year of playing because of it, he will be finding a different school to play at.

Probably better in the long run for URI though, another scholarship for Hurley to work with and bring in his own guys.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The Ziegler waiver, granted May 25th, was probably very imporant in this. I don't hink itis a coincidence that just a little over three weeks later, Baron announces he is transferring. I have to think he feels he will also get the waiver being the fired coach's son. I can't imagine him sitting out another year. Baron prepped for a year after high school and sat out a year after leaving Uva. He was born in December 1990 and will be 22 in a few months. I can't imagine him wanting to stay another 3 years in college (sitting out one year and playing for two).

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Not a big loss for the Rams. He's a marginal player in the A10.
He was better than marginal. He was the best returning player URI had. It will make next season that more of a challenge and replacing him in the short term near impossible given his timing.

Jeff Goodman just wrote about Baron transferring out from URI:

"I really like Coach Hurley a lot," Baron said. "He's been great to me and I felt like I was going to play a huge role in the team this season, but my heart just wasn't into it. It was too difficult for me to stay here."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...aves-rhode-island-months-after-dads-departure

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Things change, sometimes they change more for some than for others. Billy Baron changed his mind, more than most college players, but his circumstances changed more for him than they do for most other college players. I would not want to stay given the circumstances which at one point included also sitting out another season. If that's no longer the case, I'd leave too.

I still question more why Jim Baron let him transfer to URI in the first place. I remember hearing that it was more Billy's insistence, but Jim Baron could have stopped it as a coach and/or father.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
Not a big loss for the Rams. He's a marginal player in the A10.
Don't be stupid, this was a big loss for the Rams. He was a great player that I felt would be very instrumental into making the Rams a contender in a few years. Tough loss, though the writing was on the wall. Best of luck to him.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
It will be an interesting ruling if he doesn't go to Canisius. Zeigler got the waiver in large part because his dad isn't coaching. Jim Baron is coaching. If Baron ends up going to Purdue (Goodman threw that out as a possibility) or somewhere else, you really can't use the family debate. Ok, Dad got fired, but has a job and you aren't playing for him. Was it dad, or was it that you just wanted a change like 300 some other underclassmen who transferred? I don't think it would be an easy call for the NCAA.

That said, I think he ends up at Canisius. And even then I'm not sure it's a clear cut waiver situation. What kind of precedent would be set by just letting a kid follow dad to every job?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I understand why fans get snotty when a kid transfers (because they're jilted fans). But when over 50% of US marraiges end in divorce, why do we expect 17-year old kids to make the perfect college choice? Especially considering there's usually not a half dozen older people trying to coerce you into marrying them, unlike recruiting.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
How you could give up on a UVA degree is unfathomable to me, but his life, not mine.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'll be honest, the whole Jimmy/Billy/Daddy thing irked me all along. Neither kid could keep a good A10 guard in front of him on the defensive end. I think the whole thing creates friction on the team - Daddy's kids always play 35 mins. a game. Yes, they are good shooters, but can't play D. After Jimmy graduated we heard the story's about how tough it was on the family to have dad coaching the son, blah, blah. Then son goes to UVA, playing time diminishes - publicly states he is staying - and transfers out in time due to some stupid trimester rule thing that allows him to be eligible a semester earlier than other programs. Then URI's leading scorer (another 2 guard) all of the sudden has some type of issues and is off the team. I bet URI is so glad to be done with this and unfortunately for my Spiders and the rest of the A10 I think team Hurley is going to be good before long.

I would bet Billy follows dad to Canisius. Goodman is probably throwing Purdue out there as a smoke screen. Lest you forget, Goodman was the biggest Jimmy fan out there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The NCAA sets precedents then has to live by them. It would otherwise be unfair. Nonetheless, the hardship waiver is giving him 3 more years to play instead of 2.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts