1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,635 Posts
I don't disagree.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Mildly surprising to me, but I assume because it's a family-friendly 2pm start. Also curious how they figure capacity. 3,228 seats, but does that included the disabled fans courtside near section 1?

·
Premium Member
33,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I expect any weekend day games to be sell outs the rest of the way- families with children, elementary & high schools can attend, etc.

Pretty prohibitive for those fans on like a Wednesday night.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mildly surprising to me, but I assume because it's a family-friendly 2pm start. Also curious how they figure capacity. 3,228 seats, but does that included the disabled fans courtside near section 1?
Sat. afternoon games are very popular. They should do them my more often. Next Sat game is 7:00, may also be a sellout, but afternoon games are great for kids and families.

Being the math nerd I am, I have tried to figure the math of 3,228. I assume it is a real number of tickets they print. I can get close but not exact. There are 112 seats x 29 rows, then you need to subtract for some rows in middle sections with one less seat because of cushions, subtract the last three rows of section 5 used for video/TV cameras, then add the court side seats.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Hartford game a few weeks ago, also a matinee, also sold out early. I've heard 3228 and 3266....who knows. I'm not a fan of matinee games myself and have trouble making it to them compared to the 7pm fixtures.

I'm just hoping the new arena will be closer to 4,000 when including standing-room-only sales than the abysmal 3,100 figure the administration has mentioned.

Because I'm a nut and have too much spare time on Friday afternoons I looked at the data to better understand UVM home attendance. People who like stats (paging Poppollama) might find this interesting.

I looked at attendance at all home games this season, and last since up to 2/13 to get a larger sample size. I controlled for four variables: Midweek vs Saturday/weekend, matinee vs 7pm tip-off, conference vs OOC, and this year vs last year.

The coefficients in column B (in bold font) are the results we want to look at. The Y-intercept (2,379) represents expected attendance for home, midweek (7pm), non-conference game last year.

Independent Variables
-Weekend games are associated with an additional 494 fans vs midweek games, all else fixed (Friday games were counted as midweek in this exercise).
-Matinees are associated with 138 fewer fans vs 7pm games, holding all else fixed.
-Conference games are associated with an additional 158 fans vs non-conference games, holding all else fixed. Note: this could also be illustrating a "momentum" effect where interest in the program builds through the year, and conference games benefit simply from being later in the season.
-Games this season are associated with an additional 307 fans vs games played last season, holding all else fixed.

So, to summarize the big takeaway is that this brief, initial exercise shows matinees are less popular but ultimately we'd need more data and more games before drawing any conclusions.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Hartford game a few weeks ago, also a matinee, also sold out early. I've heard 3228 and 3266....who knows. I'm not a fan of matinee games myself and have trouble making it to them compared to the 7pm fixtures.

I'm just hoping the new arena will be closer to 4,000 when including standing-room-only sales than the abysmal 3,100 figure the administration has mentioned.

Because I'm a nut and have too much spare time on Friday afternoons I looked at the data to better understand UVM home attendance. People who like stats (paging Poppollama) might find this interesting.

I looked at attendance at all home games this season, and last since up to 2/13 to get a larger sample size. I controlled for four variables: Midweek vs Saturday/weekend, matinee vs 7pm tip-off, conference vs OOC, and this year vs last year.

The coefficients in column B (in bold font) are the results we want to look at. The Y-intercept (2,379) represents expected attendance for home, midweek (7pm), non-conference game last year.

Independent Variables
-Weekend games are associated with an additional 494 fans vs midweek games, all else fixed (Friday games were counted as midweek in this exercise).
-Matinees are associated with 138 fewer fans vs 7pm games, holding all else fixed.
-Conference games are associated with an additional 158 fans vs non-conference games, holding all else fixed. Note: this could also be illustrating a "momentum" effect where interest in the program builds through the year, and conference games benefit simply from being later in the season.
-Games this season are associated with an additional 307 fans vs games played last season, holding all else fixed.

So, to summarize the big takeaway is that this brief, initial exercise shows matinees are less popular but ultimately we'd need more data and more games before drawing any conclusions.
View attachment 20609
They’ve had two regular season matinee games and both were sellouts, soon to be three, so hard to agree with your conclusion that matinees are less popular. So I’d say your sample size is too small, and the St. Mike’s exhibition distorts your conclusions. It’s a typical year for UVM; decent crowds through Dec, then the front runner crowd kicks in in Jan. All the remaining games will be sellouts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You are a nut. This is awesome! Did you just go and enter all the data on your own?

What was your alpha value on that? Seems like according to your ANOVA, the results were pretty significant.

Also bound to be a ton of confounding variables (Anthony Lamb, win streaks, etc.). Still really cool!

It would be fun comparing fan attendance during certain player's careers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
FWIW, I like the Saturday afternoon games and wish they’d go back to doing them more often. It seems like the weekend games have been more skewed to night games last few years. I get why they would do it, but I do think bringing families and younger fans more into play is a good long term move. I guess at the end of the day, if you’re really good, you’ll sell a lot of tickets either way.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Being the math nerd I am, I have tried to figure the math of 3,228. I assume it is a real number of tickets they print. I can get close but not exact. There are 112 seats x 29 rows, then you need to subtract for some rows in middle sections with one less seat because of cushions, subtract the last three rows of section 5 used for video/TV cameras, then add the court side seats.
Actually the numbers I saw said 3,228 seats, but 3,226 for M and W basketball. I don't know why, but that's what it said.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Realistically, complacency is the bigger potential enemy today. We’ve won 10 in a row, have a big road game with the top contender on Thursday, and are playing the last place team at home. That can be a recipe for zombie basketball, and Binghamton has proven they can beat a better team that is not fully engaged.

Sort of similar to the last Maine game. We showed up awake for that one, and it does seem like the team is doing a good job of taking one game at a time right now.

A win today would lock up the home quarterfinal. Not that there has been doubt about that happening, but it would be good to get that box checked off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts