Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Binghamton at UVM 2/15/20 2pm ESPN3

4K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  benchwarmer 
#1 ·
Potential trap game like you read about. Just keep winning.

#11 ·
Sat. afternoon games are very popular. They should do them my more often. Next Sat game is 7:00, may also be a sellout, but afternoon games are great for kids and families.

Being the math nerd I am, I have tried to figure the math of 3,228. I assume it is a real number of tickets they print. I can get close but not exact. There are 112 seats x 29 rows, then you need to subtract for some rows in middle sections with one less seat because of cushions, subtract the last three rows of section 5 used for video/TV cameras, then add the court side seats.

#7 ·
I expect any weekend day games to be sell outs the rest of the way- families with children, elementary & high schools can attend, etc.

Pretty prohibitive for those fans on like a Wednesday night.

#15 ·
FWIW, I like the Saturday afternoon games and wish they’d go back to doing them more often. It seems like the weekend games have been more skewed to night games last few years. I get why they would do it, but I do think bringing families and younger fans more into play is a good long term move. I guess at the end of the day, if you’re really good, you’ll sell a lot of tickets either way.

#20 ·
Realistically, complacency is the bigger potential enemy today. We’ve won 10 in a row, have a big road game with the top contender on Thursday, and are playing the last place team at home. That can be a recipe for zombie basketball, and Binghamton has proven they can beat a better team that is not fully engaged.

Sort of similar to the last Maine game. We showed up awake for that one, and it does seem like the team is doing a good job of taking one game at a time right now.

A win today would lock up the home quarterfinal. Not that there has been doubt about that happening, but it would be good to get that box checked off.

#27 ·
In the preseason, I was thinking “There’s no way they can keep Patella out of the rotation.” Now it’s more like “There’s no way Patella should not be playing 25 minutes a game”. He had 10 rebounds today. The length and energy make him a really good defender as well. Guys think they can back him down and then the octopus arms alter the shot. It would not stun me if he took a run at all-defense team next year.

His dad was also extra en fuego today. He sat on the baseline floor with Brennan. Most noise in the history of that section, all coming from one guy.

#29 · (Edited)
A few other thoughts...

Davis now miles ahead of Giddens. Giddens should continue to start but I don’t see him playing more than 15 minutes a game most nights from here on.

Powell only 6 minutes today and if I’m not mistaken, none in the second half. Thought that was kind of odd. Did not see him do anything to warrant the pine time other than maybe one ill-advised three. He is however going to need to up his offensive game in the off-season. The shot beyond about 12 feet is still not there.

The length of Shungu and Robin on the perimeter is a major asset at this level. Kind of like Lamar and Eytle-Rock at UMBC when they are both healthy. It makes it hard on “normal” sized AE guards.

I think Eric Beckett might help us more than people think next year. He hasn’t played much but when he has, I’ve been impressed with his discipline and poise for a freshman.

Our staff deserves huge credit for player development. Guys who stick with it almost always get materially better over four years. Patella is a great example, but so are Shungu, Bell Haynes, Dingba, Urquhardt, etc. Certainly a lot of that is the kids and their willingness to buy in and put in the work, but I don’t see comparable improvement on many other teams.

#30 ·
A few other thoughts...

Davis now miles ahead of Giddens. Giddens should continue to start but I don’t see him playing more than 15 minutes a game most nights from here on.

Powell only 6 minutes today and if I’m not mistaken, none in the second half. Thought that was kind of odd. Did not see him do anything to warrant the pine time other than maybe one ill-advised three. He is however going to need to up his offensive game in the off-season. The shot beyond about 12 feet is still not there.

The length of Shungu and Robin on the perimeter is a major asset at this level. Kind of like Lamar and Eytle-Rock at UMBC when they are both healthy. It makes it hard on “normal” sized AE guards.

I think Eric Beckett might help us more than people think next year. He hasn’t played much but when he has, I’ve been impressed with his discipline and poise for a freshman.

Our staff deserves huge credit for player development. Guys who stick with it almost always get materially better over four years. Patella is a great example, but so are Shungu, Bell Haynes, Dingba, Urquhardt, etc. Certainly a lot of that is the kids and their willingness to buy in and put in the work, but I don’t see comparable improvement on many other teams.
Powell has started to shoot the 3 again the last couple games and not making them. Shot looks better than last year though. . I wonder if that has anything to do with reduced minutes. They may have also just wanted to give some others more minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.