Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bearcats fans, what do you think of the team so far? 3 game winning streak, albeit against some really horrible teams. Are you guys cautiously optimistic that we may be more respectable this year?

I was pretty excited last year over our start through the middle of December and then everything imploded after Show went down. We do seem to have more depth this year. I just want to be relevant. PLEASE!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I want the team to succeed and from a talent perspective they should be able to compete in the AE. I'm just worried that if they do finish over .500 and win a AE tournament game, Dempsey is going to get a contract extension. I like him has a person, I like the kids he brings in as they are both talented and seem to be good people for the most part, but I lost faith in his ability to coach seasons ago.

As long as Dempsey is the Binghamton coach, I don't see the team making the step to the next level.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
They are definitely better than when Dempsey took over (not saying much) and are slowly trending up, but going on six seasons now it just doesn't seem like progress is being made in a significant way.

Binghamton loses Rodriguez and, to a far lesser extent, Ahearn from the rotation after this year, which will certainly leave the Bearcats thin in the frontcourt, but it seems to me most other teams will be losing far more significant pieces:

UMBC - Lyles, Grant, Maura - isn't this their entire backcourt?
Stony Brook - Sturdivant, Iroegbu, Sekunda, Saintel - 4 of top 6 scorers
UNH - Leissner, Armstrong, Camara - top 3 scorers, potential 1st Teamer in Leissner
Lowell - Thomas, Harris - top 2 scorers and potential PotY in Thomas
Maine - Calixte, Er - top 2 scorers

I'm hesitant to throw Albany (Charles, Stire, even Foster has been good for them in limited minutes) and Vermont (TBH, Henson, Urquhart), because they've proven that they simply re-tool and Albany still has Cremo, Nichols and Campbell returning while Vermont retains the Lamb, the Duncans and some guys I expect to step up next year with more PT (Dingba, Smith). But the rest of the league will have some big holes to fill, while Binghamton will be lead by seniors-to-be and potential All-AE'ers in Show and Bruce, with fine rotation players in Davis and Rose (who will also be seniors). If they can't make some noise next year then it's simply not going to happen under Dempsey. The stars seem to be aligning, if you will, to give the Bearcats as good a chance as possible next season.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dempsey might not be around next season, though. What do you think he has to do to keep his job and get that shot for 18-19? I think finishing around .500 in league and maybe winning a conference tournament game will be good enough... for now.

I sure hope Al Walker like mediocrity won't become accepted as the norm because of how disastrous things have been since Broadusgate occurred.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I believe he was given an extension through 2018-19 already and I think he will finish it out regardless. At least give him next year with the senior class of Show and Bruce to try and prove something. Booting him after this season and starting over would definitely do more harm than good in the short term, likely ruining any chance of them competing in 2018-19 in my opinion, and I don't think keeping him next year and letting him go after 2018-19 will have any effect on the program's ability to eventually recover in terms of the long term.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point! Yeah, I see him remaining unless we go like 4-12 again or something. If we totally stink I don't know if he gets brought back one more time.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I think the team is a bit better than I expected so far. They were surprisingly competitive on the road against Mason and Evansville. Thomas Bruce has been nothing short of outstanding so far - it will be interesting to see if he can keep this up.

The next two games -- at home against Colgate and Army -- will tell us quite a bit about what this team is made of. A team with the potential to be top 3 or 4 in the AE wins both of those games.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I've watched a few of the Bing games this season and agree that Dempsey is holding you back. You have a good bunch of players who just look lost sometimes.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I think the team is a bit better than I expected so far. They were surprisingly competitive on the road against Mason and Evansville. Thomas Bruce has been nothing short of outstanding so far - it will be interesting to see if he can keep this up.

The next two games -- at home against Colgate and Army -- will tell us quite a bit about what this team is made of. A team with the potential to be top 3 or 4 in the AE wins both of those games.
Agree with all this.

Home games against solid, but not anything special, Colgate and Army should be Ws if Binghamton is become the team we want them to be.

I guess it's the fact that we've been down for so long, but I keep expecting Bruce to have a real dud of a game and come back down to being the type of guy he was his freshmen and sophomore seasons. Thankfully that hasn't happened. He is playing at a high level right now.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I don't care if Binghamton wins every occ game left and beats Vermont twice this yea, Dempsey has to go. It does not take six (should not) years to become relevant. Even if he gets lucky this year it cannot excuse the past three, or we will just become the next UNH.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've watched a few of the Bing games this season and agree that Dempsey is holding you back. You have a good bunch of players who just look lost sometimes.
Yep. Especially when Timmy Rose isn't on the court. He knows how to make things happen. I wish I could see the numbers for Binghamton's offensive possessions as far as assists, FG%, etc. both with and without Rose on the court. My gut tells me good things happen when he is.

As much as I like Davis and Muhammad, they just aren't natural point guards. Neither is Show, for that matter.

But to your point, yes, Dempsey doesn't strike me as an Xs and Os guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been lurking around these boards for the past ten years or so....figured I'd finally take the plunge and join in.

I completely agree that there are possessions where players look lost, and that Dempsey doesn't seem like the best X's and O's guy, but he has local roots and has proven he can recruit talent that are actual student-athletes. Last season Rodriguez and Show were hurt, and it's kinda tough to win without your two best players playing at 100%. I'll be interested to see how things shake out this year if everyone stays healthy. The way Thomas Bruce has looked so far this year, I wouldn't be shocked if the team made the jump to 3rd-5th in the AE.

Something I think it is difficult for Bearcat fans to admit is that Binghamton really isn't that attractive of a head coaching job at this point. It definitely isn't in the top few in Upstate NY and might even be the least attractive of the 4 SUNY jobs. If you fire/don't extend Dempsey, where else do you look for someone who actually has ties to the community and wants to actually build the program? King Rice would be a nice story, but I sure don't see that happening.

I'd like to see the team contend for the post season as much as the next guy, but taking over an absolute dumpster fire of a program and bringing it back to something that resembles decent low/mid-major basketball doesn't seem like it should warrant talk of being fired, even if they go something like 6-10 in the AE this year.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It took Tom Brennan years to get Vermont to be competitive before he was able to punch through and get to the NCAA. It was basically a series of plateaus that were reached. Each one a bit higher than the next. If you have a coach who is committed and the program is generally heading upwards, I would not change a thing. Yes, it is sometimes 2 steps forward, and then 1 back (usually due to graduation and/or injury) but that is life.

And he did take over a train wreck....

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Been lurking around these boards for the past ten years or so....figured I'd finally take the plunge and join in.

I completely agree that there are possessions where players look lost, and that Dempsey doesn't seem like the best X's and O's guy, but he has local roots and has proven he can recruit talent that are actual student-athletes. Last season Rodriguez and Show were hurt, and it's kinda tough to win without your two best players playing at 100%. I'll be interested to see how things shake out this year if everyone stays healthy. The way Thomas Bruce has looked so far this year, I wouldn't be shocked if the team made the jump to 3rd-5th in the AE.

Something I think it is difficult for Bearcat fans to admit is that Binghamton really isn't that attractive of a head coaching job at this point. It definitely isn't in the top few in Upstate NY and might even be the least attractive of the 4 SUNY jobs. If you fire/don't extend Dempsey, where else do you look for someone who actually has ties to the community and wants to actually build the program? King Rice would be a nice story, but I sure don't see that happening.

I'd like to see the team contend for the post season as much as the next guy, but taking over an absolute dumpster fire of a program and bringing it back to something that resembles decent low/mid-major basketball doesn't seem like it should warrant talk of being fired, even if they go something like 6-10 in the AE this year.
I think you bring up some excellent points re: Dempsey. That--being a guy who grew up just about an hour's drive south in Scranton; seems committed to building the program over the long term--very well may play into the administration's decision of retaining him or not after 2018-19.

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment on the attractiveness of the Binghamton head coaching job--not just relative to other upstate NY schools (where I think it's roughly middle of the pack behind St. Bonaventure, Buffalo, Albany, Siena and Cornell but ahead of Marist, Canisius, Niagara, Army and Colgate), but low level D1 in general. I'm not saying it's a dream job, but I think any coach looking to move from D2 or D3 or an assistant looking for his first D1 head coaching gig would be foolish not to seriously consider Binghamton if the job was offered to him. Compared to many other lower level D1 programs, Binghamton has facilities and community support second to none--simply take a look around the very conference we follow. Many schools at this level (AE and similar conferences) still play in gymnasiums slightly better than high school gyms I've played in, with average home attendance figures in the hundreds. I'm not saying those two things make or break a program, ultimately it comes down to W-L, but they help. The right coach can use the facilities, community support, and quality education at Binghamton as a selling point to draw recruits. I wholeheartedly believe this is a great opportunity for the right coach who has the gnads and know-how to tackle it.

That's what makes mediocrity at Binghamton unacceptable. If the school didn't invest in the program like they do, if the community didn't support the team, etc. then yeah, who cares if Binghamton even won 10 games in a year. But the school does invest in the program. The community does support the team despite all the struggles. There is really no reason why Binghamton shouldn't be or can't be as good as Albany has been. They just need to find the right guy.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
I think you bring up some excellent points re: Dempsey. That--being a guy who grew up just about an hour's drive south in Scranton; seems committed to building the program over the long term--very well may play into the administration's decision of retaining him or not after 2018-19.

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment on the attractiveness of the Binghamton head coaching job--not just relative to other upstate NY schools (where I think it's roughly middle of the pack behind St. Bonaventure, Buffalo, Albany, Siena and Cornell but ahead of Marist, Canisius, Niagara, Army and Colgate), but low level D1 in general. I'm not saying it's a dream job, but I think any coach looking to move from D2 or D3 or an assistant looking for his first D1 head coaching gig would be foolish not to seriously consider Binghamton if the job was offered to him. Compared to many other lower level D1 programs, Binghamton has facilities and community support second to none--simply take a look around the very conference we follow. Many schools at this level (AE and similar conferences) still play in gymnasiums slightly better than high school gyms I've played in, with average home attendance figures in the hundreds. I'm not saying those two things make or break a program, ultimately it comes down to W-L, but they help. The right coach can use the facilities, community support, and quality education at Binghamton as a selling point to draw recruits. I wholeheartedly believe this is a great opportunity for the right coach who has the gnads and know-how to tackle it.

That's what makes mediocrity at Binghamton unacceptable. If the school didn't invest in the program like they do, if the community didn't support the team, etc. then yeah, who cares if Binghamton even won 10 games in a year. But the school does invest in the program. The community does support the team despite all the struggles. There is really no reason why Binghamton shouldn't be or can't be as good as Albany has been. They just need to find the right guy.
Couldn't agree more... The bingo job is a hidden gem. All the pieces are there... I don't know if Dempsey is the guy but they will stumble into the right man for it eventually. Then look out!!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,174 Posts

I completely agree that there are possessions where players look lost, and that Dempsey doesn't seem like the best X's and O's guy, but he has local roots and has proven he can recruit talent that are actual student-athletes. Last season Rodriguez and Show were hurt, and it's kinda tough to win without your two best players playing at 100%. I'll be interested to see how things shake out this year if everyone stays healthy. The way Thomas Bruce has looked so far this year, I wouldn't be shocked if the team made the jump to 3rd-5th in the AE. This year is certainly open to pass UNH, UML, and SB.

You don't need a coach who has ties to the community. Any coach will leave once success leads to a better opportunity. Duquette would be the most recent hire in the AE that has worked out. You can argue that no NCAA chance at UML is harder the APR penalties Dempsey worked with. There is plenty of better coaches out there.

Dempsey won't get fired yet but he's on the hot seat.

It took Tom Brennan years to get Vermont to be competitive before he was able to punch through and get to the NCAA. It was basically a series of plateaus that were reached. Each one a bit higher than the next. If you have a coach who is committed and the program is generally heading upwards, I would not change a thing. Yes, it is sometimes 2 steps forward, and then 1 back (usually due to graduation and/or injury) but that is life.

And he did take over a train wreck....
Year 5 Brennan had a winning record(.500 in league play)making 50k with no institutional support in a much tougher conference.

Year 5 Dempsey went 12-20 3-13 in conference. This is very similiar to herrion in the fact that they are taking much longer than Brennan to turn things around.
Everybody thought they did the right thing keeping herrion and he was going to have a Brennan type turn around. Herrion has done nothing to keep the momentum going. They look like they will drop back to the bottom with little underclassmen talent.

Good coaches turn things around sooner. Brennan, Duquette, Odom had much quicker results.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Year 5 Brennan had a winning record(.500 in league play)making 50k with no institutional support in a much tougher conference.

Year 5 Dempsey went 12-20 3-13 in conference. This is very similiar to herrion in the fact that they are taking much longer than Brennan to turn things around.
Everybody thought they did the right thing keeping herrion and he was going to have a Brennan type turn around. Herrion has done nothing to keep the momentum going. They look like they will drop back to the bottom with little underclassmen talent.

Good coaches turn things around sooner. Brennan, Duquette, Odom had much quicker results.
It is worth noting the injuries Binghamton dealt with last year. Rodriguez, coming off a 15.1 ppg and 6.7 rpg sophomore campaign, played 9 total minutes over the first ten games as he dealt with injuries. Pretty much as soon as Rodriguez returned to the court, Show went down and missed the rest of the season. Binghamton played a total of three games (going 2-1 with the loss coming in OT) with their two best players (this was before Thomas Bruce became Bruce Banner).

Not saying Binghamton takes the AE crown with those two healthy and playing together, but I certainly think they win more than 3 AE games.

Anyways, it's not even worth comparing Dempsey, Herrion, etc. to Brennan. It was a completely different conference back then and the general landscape of college basketball (all of athletics, really) has changed from the frickin' 1980s.

As for Odom and Duquette, big kudos to them. Odom inherited a talented team that won 7 games and turned them into a talented team that won 21. That is impressive, but nonetheless he had talent. Lyles, Elliott, Sherburne, Darley, Grant... he had some good players to work with right from the get-go. It's not as if he built this team from the ground up. Let's see what he does without players recruited by the previous staff.

Also, credit to Duquette. He had a massive undertaking and UMass-Lowell was instantly competitive, which is no small feat. But they've kinda stagnated, no? Right now he's looking a lot more like Al Walker than Al McGuire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For years I’ve lurked in the background reading posts about every conceivable topic possible, some “spot on”…Some downright idiotic…Some based in fact, and many others lacking any facts at all…I get it and I understand…They’re message boards…They’re opinion boards and everybody has a right to be here and express an opinion just as those of us who don’t like or agree with an opinion have the right to not be here, or not read what other people think…Too be honest, I can’t believe I’m even writing this or responding to any posts at all…I feel like the guy traveling on a highway who sees a car wreck along side of the rode and you just can’t help but slow down and look…After reading for a few years about Coach Dempsey’s ability or inability to coach I felt compelled to write something in response…First and foremost, if you think Tommy Dempsey is pleased with the success, or lack of success with respect to wins and losses, then you don’t know the man…I DO…He’s not happy…He wasn’t happy when he lost a national champshionship game or any other game that he’s ever coached for that matter…I digress…For those of you who question his ability to coach…I realizes that you have the right to your opinion but I would question, what have you ever coached? Where have you ever coached? What type of success have you had as a coach? What are your opinions based on? Are they based solely on win/loss record? If they are I guess you’re right, he can’t coach…However, before he got to Binghamton he won about 75% of the games he coached…Apparently immediately after taking the Binghamton job he suddenly forgot how to coach…Actually, the fact of the matter is, immediately after taking the Binghamton job he inherited a mess and he knew it…He knew it would take time but never in his wildest imagination did he think it would take this long…The program likely didn’t have more than 3 basketball players who could play or even be on a Division I basketball roster…He inherited sanctions that you don’t even know about including fewer practices and time spent with players developing individual skills…He inherited players who he had to keep on scholarship who should have never been there in the first place…If he had ran players off there would have been more sanctions (APR) so he literally had to live with what he had…BTW-They were nice kids who did the best that they could do with extremely limited ability…Once again, I digress…Binghamton (before Demspey) sacrificed the academic integrity of the entire institution as we all know, for wins…Once they hired Demspey do you really think they’ve cut any corners or given him any slack at all (not that they should)…Shit, he got rid of his leading scorer and rebounder because of character issues…The kid was suspended 3 straight years…Trust me on this…The guy has sacrificed nothing and cut no corners…They have literally been besieged by injuries…I think they were about 9-5 last year when Show went down and Will-Rod was never right…I realize they’re excuses but take any programs best 2 players (especially mid-to-low majors) and how do you think they would do? Bottom line…Whether you think Dempsey can coach or not you don’t really know the job he took over and the constraints and bad luck that he’s dealt with…BTW-The guy has never blamed anybody…He’s taken the high road at every turn…The program still isin’t there yet…Given what he inherited his plan was to get it right last year…With injuries and getting rid of a few malcontents it’s certainly set the program back…Probably by a year to a year-and-a-half…Whatever the number is the administration supports him and they should…He’s done it the right way and he’s taken his lumps…Doe he have his deficiencies as a coach..he sure does, and he’ll even admit that because he’s about as standup a guy and as brutally honest with other people as well as himself as you will EVER find….But they’re close…The programs in better shape now than it’s ever been with respect to doing it the right way….Most importantly, the guy can coach…And if you think he can’t that’s your opinion but I’m not sure what it’s really based on other than just win/loss record…I know that your opinion is not based on being at practice every day…You’re not in the locker room, you’re not in staff meetings, individual player meetings, you definitely have no idea, nor could you take the dry erase board with 5:00 minutes to go and successfully land the plane….You likely don’t know the difference between a high hedge or a hedgefund….I’m sure you’ve never put a scouting report together and implemented it…You’ve never watched film till 5:00am and been back in the office at 7:00am…You sit in the stands and question but you really have no idea what you’re questioning…If you want to criticize the job somebody is doing you should probably know how to successfully do the job that that person is doing...Figure out that a flat screen is not really a TV…I’d like to go on but I get it, what’s the point…Opinions are lie A-holes and we’ve all got one…Including me….I’d just like to think that mine is based on some facts and experience rather than an emotional reaction to something I know nothing about…

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
For years I’ve lurked in the background reading posts about every conceivable topic possible, some “spot on”…Some downright idiotic…Some based in fact, and many others lacking any facts at all…I get it and I understand…They’re message boards…They’re opinion boards and everybody has a right to be here and express an opinion just as those of us who don’t like or agree with an opinion have the right to not be here, or not read what other people think…Too be honest, I can’t believe I’m even writing this or responding to any posts at all…I feel like the guy traveling on a highway who sees a car wreck along side of the rode and you just can’t help but slow down and look…After reading for a few years about Coach Dempsey’s ability or inability to coach I felt compelled to write something in response…First and foremost, if you think Tommy Dempsey is pleased with the success, or lack of success with respect to wins and losses, then you don’t know the man…I DO…He’s not happy…He wasn’t happy when he lost a national champshionship game or any other game that he’s ever coached for that matter…I digress…For those of you who question his ability to coach…I realizes that you have the right to your opinion but I would question, what have you ever coached? Where have you ever coached? What type of success have you had as a coach? What are your opinions based on? Are they based solely on win/loss record? If they are I guess you’re right, he can’t coach…However, before he got to Binghamton he won about 75% of the games he coached…Apparently immediately after taking the Binghamton job he suddenly forgot how to coach…Actually, the fact of the matter is, immediately after taking the Binghamton job he inherited a mess and he knew it…He knew it would take time but never in his wildest imagination did he think it would take this long…The program likely didn’t have more than 3 basketball players who could play or even be on a Division I basketball roster…He inherited sanctions that you don’t even know about including fewer practices and time spent with players developing individual skills…He inherited players who he had to keep on scholarship who should have never been there in the first place…If he had ran players off there would have been more sanctions (APR) so he literally had to live with what he had…BTW-They were nice kids who did the best that they could do with extremely limited ability…Once again, I digress…Binghamton (before Demspey) sacrificed the academic integrity of the entire institution as we all know, for wins…Once they hired Demspey do you really think they’ve cut any corners or given him any slack at all (not that they should)…Shit, he got rid of his leading scorer and rebounder because of character issues…The kid was suspended 3 straight years…Trust me on this…The guy has sacrificed nothing and cut no corners…They have literally been besieged by injuries…I think they were about 9-5 last year when Show went down and Will-Rod was never right…I realize they’re excuses but take any programs best 2 players (especially mid-to-low majors) and how do you think they would do? Bottom line…Whether you think Dempsey can coach or not you don’t really know the job he took over and the constraints and bad luck that he’s dealt with…BTW-The guy has never blamed anybody…He’s taken the high road at every turn…The program still isin’t there yet…Given what he inherited his plan was to get it right last year…With injuries and getting rid of a few malcontents it’s certainly set the program back…Probably by a year to a year-and-a-half…Whatever the number is the administration supports him and they should…He’s done it the right way and he’s taken his lumps…Doe he have his deficiencies as a coach..he sure does, and he’ll even admit that because he’s about as standup a guy and as brutally honest with other people as well as himself as you will EVER find….But they’re close…The programs in better shape now than it’s ever been with respect to doing it the right way….Most importantly, the guy can coach…And if you think he can’t that’s your opinion but I’m not sure what it’s really based on other than just win/loss record…I know that your opinion is not based on being at practice every day…You’re not in the locker room, you’re not in staff meetings, individual player meetings, you definitely have no idea, nor could you take the dry erase board with 5:00 minutes to go and successfully land the plane….You likely don’t know the difference between a high hedge or a hedgefund….I’m sure you’ve never put a scouting report together and implemented it…You’ve never watched film till 5:00am and been back in the office at 7:00am…You sit in the stands and question but you really have no idea what you’re questioning…If you want to criticize the job somebody is doing you should probably know how to successfully do the job that that person is doing...Figure out that a flat screen is not really a TV…I’d like to go on but I get it, what’s the point…Opinions are lie A-holes and we’ve all got one…Including me….I’d just like to think that mine is based on some facts and experience rather than an emotional reaction to something I know nothing about…
Are you at ALL familiar with the ENTER key?
[RETURN]

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
So I got through half of this...Man...BRUTAL!

Definitely a sister or a mom or a young daughter/son. This will end well.

1 - 20 of 507 Posts