Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

441 - 460 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Using jersey numbers from previous teams as placeholders...

0 - Richie Caldwell, Jr. - G - Senior
1 - Pierre Sarr - F - Graduate Student
2 - Brenton Mills - G - Freshman
3 - Sam Sessoms - G - Sophomore
4 - Dan Petcash - G - Freshman
5 - Hakon Hjalmarsson - G - Freshman
10 - Leo Gallagher - G - Sophomore
11 - George Tinsley - F - Freshman
13 - Calvin Poulina - F - Sophomore
14 - Calistus Anyichie - F - Sophomore
20 - Ador Athuai - C - Freshman
21 - Carter Stewart - G - RS-Freshman
24 - Michael Besselink - G - RS-Freshman
25 - Yarden Willis - C - Sophomore

...that could be the team heading in to 2019-20 season. Perhaps one more addition if they have another scholarship available? I've seen it reported that Carter Stewart is not on scholarship, but I don't know how accurate that is.

This might be the most inexperienced team in the country going by combined career minutes played at the D1 level.

Potential starting lineup ain't pretty...

G Sessoms
G Caldwell
G Besselink
F Sarr
C Willis? Anyichie?

Maybe Sarr plays more of a 5 spot and they get Stewart or Tinsley or Mills in there?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Mark Macon has been named an assistant coach at Temple on Aaron McKie's staff.

I'm glad to see him back in the game and wish him well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
6/5/2019 - 2018 PF Calvin Poulina (6-8, 230, 2★) will be transferring, per Verbal Commits.

By my count, we will have a whopping total of four players remaining from last year, three of which received regular minutes. Sessoms alone averaged 7 minutes more per game than the other three combined. Might Will be another long season.

·
Registered
153 Posts
6/5/2019 - 2018 PF Calvin Poulina (6-8, 230, 2★) will be transferring, per Verbal Commits.

By my count, we will have a whopping total of four players remaining from last year, three of which received regular minutes. Sessoms alone averaged 7 minutes more per game than the other three combined. Might Will be another long season.
I count five: Sessoms, Gallagher, Caldwell, Bruce and Anyichie

From what I hear, Bruce is still on-board. A little glimmer of hope.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't see how this team wins more than 2-3 D1 games next year as currently constructed. If Bruce comes back and plays at the level he was before, then maybe they double my projection.

But the current group is a pair of should-be role-playing seniors and, excluding Sessoms, completely unproven and untested freshmen and sophomores without a whole lot in the way of HS or PG credentials that inspire hope. At least when Sam came in he had a track record of 2,000+ points against some quality competition in the Philly Friends League and his recruitment clearly would have picked up had he not committed to Binghamton when he did. This new group? Nothing of the sort from what I can gather on the google machine.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
This may be just a throwaway line in a long article, but since there isn't much else to talk about it might be worth discussing...

The Hall is looking for a new AD and this article at NJ.com lists Binghamton AD Pat Elliott (a Seton Hall alumnus) as a potential candidate for the job.

·
Registered
163 Posts
posted this in coaching thread as well.

Binghamton has two openings on staff. Herb Courtney per his twitter is a former Binghamton assistant coach and Chretien Lukusa just went to work with Kevin Broadus at Morgan State.

Two biggest hires in Tommy Dempsey's career. Please Please Please do not hire two guys who are "up and comers" or are DOBOs at some other school. We need two long time assistant coaches or head coaches with experience recruiting and winning at schools focused on academics. If the excuse is we cant take risks on kids and that is why we cant win than we need to hire people who have a track record of recruiting risk-free kids.
barneybearcat is online now Report Post

·
Registered
163 Posts
This may be just a throwaway line in a long article, but since there isn't much else to talk about it might be worth discussing...

The Hall is looking for a new AD and this article at NJ.com lists Binghamton AD Pat Elliott (a Seton Hall alumnus) as a potential candidate for the job.
hopefully he gets it. we need an AD who is looking to take some risk to improve our basketball program. i am not saying bring in a guy who has a win at all cost philosophy but someone who will potentially replace a coach who loses 20 games 8 years in a row.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts
If Binghamton wants to find a coach who can recruit, they're going to have to find a non D1 coach looking to get some D1 coaching experience, who has close ties to a successful AAU program. Go the route that Vermont did bringing in Hamlet Tibbs. Won't be as easy for Binghamton given all the losing they've done under Dempsey, but that's the route I would take in their position.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like Thomas Bruce is listed on the 2019-20 roster as a graduate student. Still a lot of time between now and the first tip-off of the year, so who knows if he sticks around, but certainly good to see.

Also, that Noah Waterman kid looks like he has some serious skills for a 6'10" player. How is he unsigned/only have a pair of offers? Did he never play travel ball, AAU, etc.?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Haven't seen this mentioned in any other thread, but an update to the roster on the athletics website lists some new names.

6'9" F Akuwovo Ogheneyole
- Played at Howard in 2018-2019. Averaged 4.6 points and 5.3 rebounds in 19.7 mpg, starting in 32 of his 34 games played. Unsure if he is immediately eligible or will sit out the 2019-2020 season as there isn't any thing about that on either his player page or Google search. Should have three years of eligibility and seems like a good bet to get regular minutes in the rotation.

6'5" G Alex Brodsky
- Guessing he is a walk-on. Previously played at Stevens Institute of Technology (?).

Bad news...

Thomas Bruce is no longer listed on the roster.
-

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
And another one jumps ship ....

With just two weeks to go before the start of its 2019-20 season, the Binghamton men’s basketball team received surprising news on Monday. Redshirt freshman guard Michael Besselink left the program to pursue a professional basketball career, the athletics department confirmed on Tuesday.
https://www.bupipedream.com/sports/111376/six-players-leave-binghamton-mens-basketball-program-in-offseason/
Wow, I actually was able to sign in, been awhile since I even tried to get on here!!

The turnover is a yearly thing for the most part and everybody knows Dempsey needs to be gone.

However it's good to see there is a chance that Bruce can still possibly be back next year, wondering 2 things

Is Bruce still in Bing and would he be eligible to join the roster in January if a sixth year of eligibility doesn't work out?

·
Registered
163 Posts
0-3 to start the season. i swear on my children if Binghamton losses 20 games this year and does not fire dempsey i will have no choice other than turning my back on the athletics program. i will no longer donate or purchase season tickets. if they dont care about the program than why should i? i will also start mailing a letter to Stenger on a weekly basis asking him to move athletics down to D3 in order to focus on academics. We need more money in programs that strive to be great. The athletics department is currently not doing that. Accepting mediocrity is a disease. What could SOM, Watson, Decker or pharmacy do with a couple millions bucks added into their budget.... It the athletics is just for fun go back to D3.

441 - 460 of 507 Posts