Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

461 - 480 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not going to be deluded into thinking this team is all of a sudden a conference contender, but was encouraging to see them fight back and hold on for the win despite being down 15-0 to start the game. For such a young team, that's a good sign. Especially against a Sacred Heart team that features the reigning NEC DPOY (Spellman), a NEC 2nd Teamer (Anosike) and a trio of talented sophomores, two of whom were All-NEC Rookie team picks last season (Parker and Ozier). I believe they were picked 2nd by the coaches in their conference this season. Furthermore, it's not like Binghamton had one of those rare games where everything was falling and they shot some ridiculous percentage from the field. This was more of a grind, the type of game I don't recall them being able to win very often over the last few years.

It appears Tinsley, with each passing game, is getting more and more accustomed to the D1 level of play. Sessoms also seems to have found his stride after a rough start.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Three in a row against solid-enough D1 teams. That's a big step in the right direction for a program who has been so, so bad for so damn long.

Having seen every game (thank you, ESPN family of networks), I'm pretty confident saying this group, by far, seems to understand ball movement, moving without the ball, shot selection, etc. better than any other core group to come in under Dempsey. It's so refreshing to see guys actually utilize shot fakes, head fakes and jab steps effectively. Players are making the 'extra pass' for a teammate to get a good look more than any other group in Dempsey's tenure.

On top of that, they compete from an effort standpoint for 40 minutes. Sarr and Tinsley are great on the glass. Sessoms has been banging a bit down there too. Awesome to see. So much of defense and rebounding comes down to simply wanting it more, giving 100% and never letting up on plays. This group really seems to get that.

The skills are there, the smarts are there, and the effort is there.

Every game there is a new face guy making his mark. Yesterday we saw Willis and Petcash have a bit of a coming out party. Willis won't ever be confused for Nick Billings, but 7 footers in the AE don't have to be amazing athletes to make significant contributions.

I would be shocked if they don't set a new Dempsey Era high in AE wins. Sure, that's not saying much as it would only take 6 wins, but it would be progress.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm pretty confident saying this group, by far, seems to understand ball movement, moving without the ball, shot selection, etc. better than any other core group to come in under Dempsey. It's so refreshing to see guys actually utilize shot fakes, head fakes and jab steps effectively. Players are making the 'extra pass' for a teammate to get a good look more than any other group in Dempsey's tenure.
This has been the biggest difference I've seen this season; guys passing up on a good shot to give their teammate a great shot, often times a totally wide open shot, which is the first time in many, many seasons. Cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Curious to see how the Bearcats look against Colgate next week. They've gotta be the closest thing on Binghamton's OOC schedule to what they can expect in the tougher matchups of conference play.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Nice win today. We are showing we can beat below average mid major teams, which is more than we could say about any other team this decade. Colgate is a legit mid major and losing to them shows we aren’t there yet.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
We are now 2-2 against the Patriot league with wins against Army and Boston U (6th and 5th, respectively, in the PL preseason coaches survey) and losses against Colgate and Loyola (1st and 4th in the survey). I guess that makes us look like a solid middle of the pack team in the PL -- which one would think translates to a middle of the pack team in the AE (and not our usual 7/8/9 finish in the AE).

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's squad -- the only thing keeping me from moving up the scale from "cautiously optimistic" to "pretty intrigued" is the memory of two seasons ago when the team started out 8-4, before going 2-14 in AE play and finishing 11-20 overall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
How much longer is Dempsey going to stick around? This year make it 8 seasons of below .500 ball in conference play. He’s a nice guy but when do we move on?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Dempsey's contract is until 2020-21 at least that's what was announced in 2018. Does Binghamton have the finances to fire the guy with a year on his contract or are they stuck with him being a lame duck coach and continuing to be terrible? Or does the school even care?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Dempsey's contract is until 2020-21 at least that's what was announced in 2018. Does Binghamton have the finances to fire the guy with a year on his contract or are they stuck with him being a lame duck coach and continuing to be terrible? Or does the school even care?
Not only wont they fire him, they will extend him.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm ready to start a GoFundMe to buy out his contract. Who's in?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Every year they have a mildly impressive start against a weak OOC schedule. Then completely free fall against the AE. Doesn't matter the talent. They are lucky the AE doesn't want to kick them out into D2. It would certainly spare this misery.

461 - 480 of 507 Posts