Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

481 - 500 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
it shows a lack of leadership. the fact that we wont fire a coach because he recruits good kids who pass their classes is out right obnoxious. So the 8 teams who are currently better than us this year and the 7 that are consistently better than us year after year have dumb kids who cant seem to stay out of trouble?

All AE champions have proven they can win championships with good kids who not only win games but also pass their classes and dont get arrested. We pay dempsey too much not to do all three(kids that behave, pass their classes and win). this isnt junior college basketball where the majority of good players are not at the next level because of grades or behavior issues. these type of kids are not hard to find.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Listening to Roger Neel on WNBF radio this morning, he stated that when he was in Maryland last week, he saw Thomas Bruce ... according to him, Thomas Bruce said he would be back in Binghamton playing again next year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Listening to Roger Neel on WNBF radio this morning, he stated that when he was in Maryland last week, he saw Thomas Bruce ... according to him, Thomas Bruce said he would be back in Binghamton playing again next year.
Cool, maybe next year we'll make the America East tournament

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just to be clear we have not qualified for the AE tournament 2 out of the last 3 year. the season has been over for 2 days. At what point does binghamton announce Dempsey is done or announce a vote of confidence?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Just to be clear we have not qualified for the AE tournament 2 out of the last 3 year. the season has been over for 2 days. At what point does binghamton announce Dempsey is done or announce a vote of confidence?
He'll be back. The athletic department only cares about players showing up to class and graduating. They do not care about wins and losses in basketball. Meanwhile, how much of the funding goes to the basketball program they don't even care about? The whole thing is a disgraceful sham.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i am holding out until end of the week. i would love for Binghamton to hire pitino. Watch all these AE coaches complain about pitino like they did broadus......

·
Realist/A-hole
5,723 Posts
Hire a D2 assistant and be terrible for half the cost.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hiring a search committee is very costly; do not see Binghamton putting that much effort and money into the program.
We do not have to hire a search firm. We can just use our Athletic Director who is paid for things like this. Pat Elliot was at St. Peter's & St. Johns prior to Binghamton. Based on previous experiences he knows the following coaches. Are they great hires? Not sure but we are starting from rock bottom so who knows.

St. Peter's
John Dunne - current Marist head coach - Other than of the state of our program binghamton is better.

St. Johns
Norm Roberts - former st. john,s head coach, current kansas assistant.
Chris Casey Former CW Post Head Coach, former head coach at Niagara, current assistant at Fairfield. Other than of the state of our program binghamton is better.
Glenn Braica - current head coach at St. Francis(Brooklyn). Other than of the state of our program binghamton is better.
Fred Quartlebaum - Current Assistant at Kansas
chuck Martin- Former Marist head coach current south Carolina assistant.

I would seriously make a push for Norm Roberts. He got thrown into the St. Johns situation and did a great job. Stabilized the program by winning some games and bringing in good kids. Exactly what we want. Now he is back at Kansas. This is probably a pipe dream because he has a great job making $325k but Bill Self is under some scrutiny with the NCAA. That being said Binghamton is also inexpensive and could probably get him close to the that number after bonus's and allowances.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
We do not have to hire a search firm. We can just use our Athletic Director who is paid for things like this. Pat Elliot was at St. Peter's & St. Johns prior to Binghamton. Based on previous experiences he knows the following coaches. Are they great hires? Not sure but we are starting from rock bottom so who knows.

St. Peter's
John Dunne - current Marist head coach - Other than of the state of our program binghamton is better.

St. Johns
Norm Roberts - former st. john,s head coach, current kansas assistant.
Chris Casey Former CW Post Head Coach, former head coach at Niagara, current assistant at Fairfield. Other than of the state of our program binghamton is better.
Glenn Braica - current head coach at St. Francis(Brooklyn). Other than of the state of our program binghamton is better.
Fred Quartlebaum - Current Assistant at Kansas
chuck Martin- Former Marist head coach current south Carolina assistant.

I would seriously make a push for Norm Roberts. He got thrown into the St. Johns situation and did a great job. Stabilized the program by winning some games and bringing in good kids. Exactly what we want. Now he is back at Kansas. This is probably a pipe dream because he has a great job making $325k but Bill Self is under some scrutiny with the NCAA. That being said Binghamton is also inexpensive and could probably get him close to the that number after bonus's and allowances.
I'd wait for Dave Paulsen to get fired at George Mason. Sounds like it might happen. Just off his Bucknell track record alone you make that move. Wonder if Matt Brady the former Marist and JMU coach (the latter making a huge mistake firing him given they are probably going to be looking for a new coach this year as well) who is now a Maryland assistant might be interested in getting back into head coaching...he's 54 so maybe not considering his current gig. Could always do an opposite Broadus baggage coach and bring in someone unhireable and unlikeable like Lonergan, though I think that's a bad idea.

Hoping Binghamton's administration realizes Dempsey's tenure has run its course for all your sakes.

·
Premium Member
33,141 Posts
I don’t see Binghamton making a move on from Dempsey right now given previous reasons, but I think indicator will be Sessoms returning or not. If he comes back I’m not sure that Bing would contemplate a move, even though most reasonable minds would say it should regardless. If he leaves, not sure why they wouldn’t just rip off the band-aid now. At least with Sessoms, he’s be a junior and Binghamton will have one of the premier talents returning and maybe that could be good enough to win 6-8 conference games next year?

Any coach with any type of baggage tied to their name-while interesting talking points- is likely a non-starter for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the crazy part is binghamton is still an attractive job. At the end of the day we did get broadus who was coming off Georgetown's final four run. I cant remember if he was mentioned in other jobs at the time or who was our second choice but getting broadus was a big deal. bigger than any recent hire in AE. The only one close to that was boals who was coming from Ohio state after two straight sub standard years for them. I have to believe that we could get some pretty decent names on the interview list if we start behaving like we want to win.

·
Registered
164 Posts
so the AE regular season is officially over. Coaches will start getting fired once they lose in conference tournament. Billy Wright from Western Illinois is first to go. Today is that day for Binghamton. Could today be the day for the program?

If Dempsey keeps his job i will keep my tickets and continue donating to mens basketball for one more year. If he gets extended this year or next. i am done.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Sessoms will not leave, he gets unlimited shots and playing time. He would not get that at another d1 school.
I don't want him to leave Binghamton, but...I don't think having an all-you-can-eat special at the shit buffet is really a great motivator to keep him. I bet if you ask him if he'd dial back his playing time/shot volume to win, he'd take it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend that Dempsey is gone and Sessoms is heading to Penn St. I'd rate the reliability at about 75% but if it's true I'm sure it will be confirmed soon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
this week is ideal for firing him. Conference tourney's are in full swing now the big conference will start this week. coaches already getting fired. i understand if elliot didnt want to make dempsey the first firing of the carousel. Again, Dempsey a really good guy just not winning enough.

481 - 500 of 507 Posts