Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well can you believe it......Bing 80-62 over Northeastern on the road (no, not a typo).....huge first half......this team can look so good and so bad....if they can hold it together and play consistently they will be dangerous as the rest of the season unwinds, will be interesting...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Binghamton put 4 players in double figures!

Billings 25pts 10rbs 7blks
Hailey 17 pts 7assists
Hermenier 10pts 5rbs
Carter 16pts

Bing girls also beat NU at home 44-29!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Of all the scores tonight, this one surprised me the most. Certainly is a devasating loss for NEastern considering the final numbers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The most impressive statistic from the men's game is that Bing shot 74% (17-23) in the 1st half!!! That's unreal!!!

The key for Bing will be to carry this momentum home and play well against Stony. If Bing loses at home to Stony, then this game means absolutely nothing!!! Also, if this isn't an eye-opener for Billings, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GoBearcats</b>!
this team can look so good and so bad....
And to think it was Stony Brook that everyone was describing as the Jekyll and Hyde team of the league. Here's a team that only manages to score 38 points in a loss against Charleston Southern, and yet manages to score 80 plus points against the team with arguably the most talent in the league. Go figure!

Did anyone listen to the game and can they fill us in on what was going right for Bing and wrong for NU?

Then again, maybe it's better not to know. Ignorance is bliss, and right now I'm am enjoying some serious bliss. :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically it seemed that everything went right for Bing. The shots that didn't drop all year finally went in. Billings really wanted it...went to the hole hard. Good "D" prevented the perimeter shots by NE. Huge run to start the game, then kept their composure in the 2nd half when NE made their run. Hopefully this is the catalyst and turning point for the remainder of the season. But we will see what happens at home Sunday - it is the last game in the West Gym before the move to the Events Center, the students are back, the place should be rocking. I agree if they regress then this win doesn't mean much. Also word has it that we are headed for a sellout for the first game next week in the Events Center against Hartford (around 4200 this year, 5800 next year when the end seating is completed)!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow. Nobody was gonna take down the Bearcats tonight. NU found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stat of the game: Binghamton shot 74% from the field in the first half.

For you BU fans who would like to know, Celtics GM Danny Ainge was at the game tonight and looked to be impressed with Nick Billings.

This sounds strange, but a good crowd showed up tonight at Cabot Gym. Nothing in the Binghamton corner, but an announced crowd of 1044, highest of the season. Definitely loudest of the season, and they were on the Bearcats the entire game.

Barea throwing a water bottle onto the court...not too happy about that. Took many a towel and many a redshirt to clean that up.

Youmans went down pretty hard after a brutal officiating non-exchange. I hope his injury isn't too serious.

Early on, Binghamton took over and never gave the lead up. NU fought on after arriving 7 minutes into the game, but it's not a good way to get ready for BU Saturday.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I saw this score right away I thought Billings must have dominated!!! It's about time he played well!

NU is a loose group! Barea 8/22. Typical night for him! I come to realize Barnes cannot create his own shot. He needs screens and 3's! Also, NU isn't getting much from it's frontcourt which is not deep!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unless I missed somebody, NU and Toledo were the only Division 1 programs that were undefeated at home this season in both football and basketball. Now Toledo stands alone.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Barea in action

NU loses and.........

Barea throwing a water bottle onto the court...not too happy about that. Took many a towel and many a redshirt to clean that up. - DocSatchmo
Doc you should go see a Dr. - JJ Barea the charmer would never do such a thing. The water bottle had a loose top and slipped from his hands and at leat 20 NU Grads will attest to it.

We all know who is in charge and runs the show at NU.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Barea in action

Originally posted by <b>Patch</b>!
Doc you should go see a Dr. - JJ Barea the charmer would never do such a thing. The water bottle had a loose top and slipped from his hands and at leat 20 NU Grads will attest to it.

We all know who is in charge and runs the show at NU.
Actually, it was a cup of water and he smashed it on the floor. I'm sure it slipped though. He would never do something so unsportsmanlike. :grinning:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Horrible game for NU. Everything that could have went wrong did. They were missing shots, getting outworked underneath and on the boards, and for some reason NU's bigs kept trying to take Billings 1 on 1. Not suprisingly each time they failed, usually not even grazing the rim on their attempts. On top of that Binghampton couldn't miss a shot in the first half, shooting an unreal 17-23 from the field :eek: .

Billings had a pretty big effect on the game. NU's help D was slow in the first half (likely cause of Billings), and Binghamton just could not miss an open shot. Perhaps if they missed a couple in the first half, it would have been a slightly different game. Troy 'Hudson' Hailey had a solid game, but to me Bing did not seem to have any true PG's or bandhandlers. Perhaps if NU pressed a little more, or made the game more uptempo in the first half, it would have been a different story. But again, its hard to make the game uptempo when the opposing team shoots 17-23 and slows the tempo down with their bigman.

Barnes was suprisingly ineffective this game -- he just couldn't seem to get free for jumpers, and was basically OFF the entire night. Barea was OK at times, but the game was pretty much decided in the first half. The BIG men tried to get Billings in foul trouble, but thats a tough task considering Billings size and skill.

This game came down to Billings overall interior presense affecting the game on O and D, and came down to the team hitting their open shots. If this team does that, they can compete on any given night.

Props to Binghampton on a big win.

Its up to NU to respond against BU on Saturday. I think they should play much better ball then.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nikos, I like your report. Saves me some typing. Just to echo some of Nikos' sentiments:

- rebounding was horrid. Nobody crashed the boards, no boxing out, no nothing. Another game of terrible rebounding.

- rebounding off of BU's missed free throws was even worse! I think they outrebounded us on their misses. Terrible. no boxing out, and some good bounces off the rim went BU's way. Best rebound of the nite for NU was Bobby Kelly off a missed BU FT getting in the lane and working for the board.

- NU's shooting game was abysmal. Nobody hit shots, Barnes was way off. Several in and outs. Just nothing went NU's way.

- Billings played very well. Made the shots he was supposed to. NU gave little help to whoever was guarding him, and if they did BU could kick out and make the shot.

- Barea was avg. What is this hurt hamstring he played with? Gonu.com game report said he was slightly injured?

- B. Davis and Syl Robinson trying to post up against Billings just wasnt happening. He didn't allow it all night. It seemed as if they kept trying to prove that they could do it. Only happened once or twice. Bennett threw up some TERRIBLE turn arounds. Werent even close to the rim and hit all back board.

- BU was able to slow the game down with the big lead, which doenst allow NU to be effective.

- BU did have a tough time, however, handling the NU press. There were near turnovers on every play, but they alwyas ended up with the ball off tips. Some bad out of bounds calls by the refs too didn't help.

-Pretty much it was just a night where everything that could go wrong for NU did. Everything that could go right for BU did. We take the loss and move on.

-Hopefully this loss wakes NU up and gets them fired up for BU. Cant afford to lose another game now, especially another home game.

-Any word on the Youman's injury?

NU Hoop Fan/Grad....you're take on the game?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Hoops NU

I knew DocSatchmo must have been exaggerating!!!!:eek:

Barea throwing a water bottle onto the court...not too happy about that. Took many a towel and many a redshirt to clean that up. - DocSatchmo
Is it true that on this night Barea hits the target with his water cup more accurately then he did with anything else he threw.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey folks,

I've been known to exaggerate many a thing in my time. Physical appearance, my intelligence, my smoothness with the ladies, etc.

But I will not have my good name sullied when describing the events of January 21st, 2004!

Libel, I say!

:soapbox:

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
DoctorSatchmo

With the threat of a suit you have intimidated me and I take everything back except your QUOTES!!!!!

:grinning: :uhoh: :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts