Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
An absolutely gorgeous facility. With any luck (and lots of money), Maine and Vermont may also have new facilities within a few years.

America East would be crazy not to give Binghamton a chance to host the mens tourney.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As I've said for the last three years, Binghamton is the sleeping giant in this conference. They will now have the nicest facility, best fan support, best academics, and a large alumni base in the NYC area. This should be the charter school the A-East builds around

·
Registered
280 Posts
as they say in maine, it's "wicked"nice.......however, what's the seating capacity? it looks smallish.......can it seat 5k?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seating

My understanding is that for this year is 4394 and then they have set up what is being called the Champions Court Side Cafe, which will have 11 cafe tables with 6 at a table under the north basket. $50 gets you a six tickets, six programs, and a table. Then you can order food and beverages, including beer and wine, served at the table. So that would get you to 4450.

Next season they will have movable bleachers that could go in the North end that would add another nearly 1500 seats, if needed, plus there will be four sky suites which could hold maybe another 12+ people. So the total capacity could be over 6000. you could also have people standing over the concourse, sort of like Stony Brook and Albany's facilities.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Actually a larger facility was a preference but the cost was simply prohibitive at the time......looking to the future it would have made some sense

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Oh god....the seeds have been planted for another AE school to move on to "bigger and better" things :rolleyes: . Does the A-10 really want Binghamton?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Forget about the A-10. That league stinks, and who knows whether it'll even survive the next couple of years. Personally, I think Bing ought to aim for the top! The best fit would be the current Big East, since Syracuse makes for a natural geographic rival and that league already has two other preeminent state universities in UConn and Rutgers as members. Then again, we also have a lot in common with the more academic-minded schools in the ACC, like Virginia, Duke and Vandy, so that would be an attractive option from Bing's standpoint - though not having football could be viewed as a problem by the other ACC schools. Same pros and cons exist with the Big Ten.

Bottom line, though, is that Bing shouldn't even FATHOM staying in the AE for more than 5 more years. God forbid we even contemplate staying in the league that gave us our entree into Division I athletics for the long-haul. Oh no, my friends, Bing should stay just long enough to establish its program and then move on and up!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Binghamton's building size

According to the article in the newspaper, athletic director Joel Thirer and University President Lois DeFleur both would have preferred a larger building. Thirer is quoted as saying something to the effect that when you build a building of this nature you need to have a vision 25 years into the future, as you won't get too many chances like this again. He's quick to qualify that by saying that he loves the new building, and how great it is in virtually every respect.

Having graduated from another SUNY school (Stony Brook) I can attest to the incredibly small minds that the people in the construction fund in Albany who make these kind of decisions have. Talk about a lack of vision, they would still be building basketball arenas around 160 meter circular tracks like they did as SB & Albany in the early 90's, and at Oneonta more recently, if it weren't for DeFleur's insistence that a 200 meter indoor track was needed at Binghamton, and hence, a larger building. My understanding is that she and Thirer wanted the building to be substantially larger, with a general eye to the future; commencement, concerts, and athletic events. Note, I said to the future..., not with an eye to the A-10. Binghamton appears to be very dedicated to a longterm membership in the America East. If only all of the other member institutions felt likewise.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
And you can forget the move to a bigger conference with out the SUNY-Trio moving together. Personally...the A-TEN is going to be very different in a few years....basketball only confernece. If that is the case...maybe BingU would be a good fit. UA and SBU will not go to a conference w/o football. If the AE presidents had a half a brain...they would counter the CAA proposals and start a football only version. It would bring money into the league....but that is way to in depth for Monasch and crew to comprehend.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mainejeff</b>!
An absolutely gorgeous facility. With any luck (and lots of money), Maine and Vermont may also have new facilities within a few years.

America East would be crazy not to give Binghamton a chance to host the mens tourney.
I agree in time Bing will probably host the tourney. That being said they sort of shot themselves in the foot a little this year. BingU put in a bid to host the men's tournament but not the women's this year. From what I hear they probably could have had the women's since no one else really wanted it and Hartford kind of took it since they had done it before, while on the men's side they were competing with about four other schools. That would have been a great opportunity for the folks in Vestal to prove they can run a tournament to the rest of the league.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dane96</b>!
I am sorry....not a football only league...an addition of football to this league.
What do you want, forward thinking on High Street? Monasch is content to watch other leagues raid the three best all-sports programs in the league (NU, Boston U and UNH) and replace them with more crummy Northeast Conference schools (Quinnipiac, Wagner). Heck, the Commish was the commissioner of the NEC before he came to AE, and the way things are going he soon will be again, only this time it will be called America East. I don't know who the NEC will raid since it is the crappiest conference in America.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
The Northeast 10... they did it before with Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart....

Bentley is perpetually dipping its toes in the D-1 waters...

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
No info...just a hunch. IF BU, NU, UNH leave....bet your *** that UA, SBU and BingU make a look to move out if some of the schools you mentioned join. Moreover...if SBU and UA are serious and make the football jump, they would want a conference that supports all sports. Right now even if they do move up, it makes sense to stay in the AE...since there are simialar schools (ie. playing football in one confeence and playing hoop in another). However it would seem that Maine, SBU, UA would be the only three left who played football. They would probably want to move out.

That being said...I WISH THE CONFERENCE WOULD ADD FOOTBALL. It would be very attractive to expand to 12.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts