Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
26,981 Posts
BackwoodsBum said:
That's one way to look at it. Another way would be to ask how many of those players would be in the hall of fame if they hadn't had Bird there?
I think Dave Cowens, Tiny Archibald and Bill Walton had those Hall of Fame spots sewn up before they played with Bird, Parish was a mobil seven footer putting up a 17/10/2 line in Golden State before he arrived in Boston. I think Kevin would also have made the Hall of Fame with or without Bird.

· Premium Member
26,981 Posts
#1AntoineWalkerFan said:
im not exactly sure about the personell at that time but i know that tim duncan did the same thing but it was a little skewed because david robinson was hurt the year before and came back with duncan...was it all bird or did others join him his rookie year?
The biggest change between the 1978-79 team and the 1979-80 team was the coaching and defense. Dave Cowens was an awful coach, and the situation wasn't made easier by the chaos of constant trades and the collection of cokeheads he was saddled with. The Celtics unloaded Curtis Rowe, Marvin Barnes, and Bob McAdoo (who was fine when he arrived here, but functionally useless after a couple of months with the coke dealing Barnes). In '79 Tiny Archibald was hobbled by injury, averaging a mediocre 11/4 line in part time duty in sixty plus games and Rick Robey didn't join the Celtics until January of '79. The next year they had stabilised the roster, got Archibald back to run the offense (he played 2800+ minutes that year, posting a 14/8 line, as opposed to the 1600+ minutes in '79 ), and added M.L. Carr & Gerald Henderson for depth. Factor in the better coaching and they were set to make a run. And, yes, having a hall of fame point guard uninjured was a big upgrade.

· Premium Member
26,981 Posts
#1AntoineWalkerFan said:
thanks for the info ehmunro...not taking anything away from larry and how much he helped the team to such a great record in his rookie year but apparently like duncan he had a little bit of help...
Not as much as Duncan got, but it wasn't the one man show the mythopoeicists like to make out.

#1AntoineWalkerFan said:
"How many players has Pierce played with who have Hall of Fame skills? Antoine and Ricky Davis have been the best players Pierce has played with and both excelled with Pierce as a teammate. But those guys are not Hall-Of-Fame talents."

oooooooo i beg to differ...hahaha
Are they planning on opening an "Ugly Jumpshot" wing in the Hall of Fame sometime soon?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.