10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Blazer draft priority list:

1. Marvin Williams Profile

2. Bogut Profile

3. Tiago Splitter Profile

4. Rudy Fernandez Profile

5. Fran Vazquez Profile

I think that we will get around the #5 pick in the draft and this is who I list as my priorities in the draft. I think both Bogut and Williams will both be gone by our pick and we will end up with Splitter.....Nash had extensive workouts last summer before the draft and was heavily interested in the youngster and now after a year of maturing and working on his game I think that he is most likely our selection......I haven't seen much of his game, but he must have improved a lot since last year for people to be so high on him.

I would be more than happy if we traded our 1st round pick and another player for a quality shooting guard and then draft Rudy Fernandez as well to take turns backing up Telfair and the shooting guard position.....

What does your priority list look like?.......

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I like the thought of 2 and 4 but I would really like to know how tall Rudy actually is. I would take Green over everyone on that list besides Bogut.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something with Marvin Williams. In drafting him would the Blazers be drafting the "best player available" or would the hope be that either he or Outlaw would become the starting "2" or would one (or several) of the current SFs be moved?

Hmm.... Maybe I should go read the thread on the topic, eh? :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PorterIn2004 said:
Maybe I'm missing something with Marvin Williams. In drafting him would the Blazers be drafting the "best player available" or would the hope be that either he or Outlaw would become the starting "2" or would one (or several) of the current SFs be moved?
Best player available.....Gains strength and could become power forward of future.....

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Maybe it 's the emotion of the Championship game still fresh in my mind - but Sean May should be considered!!

He was a monster in that game. He's solid, 6-9, 260lbs, and fundamentally sound. He showed good leadership during the game too. Something our team lacks.

Should May be in the Top 5 Picks?

My List:
1) Bogut
2) M Williams
3) Sean May
4) Green
5) Splitter

Regardless, I think May will slip into the lottery and possibly push someone down to us at #5.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Green definitely has to be on the list....

Wow Redhot, you and Canzano think alike... You should really see someone about that :biggrin:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
NateBishop3 said:

Wow Redhot, you and Canzano think alike... You should really see someone about that :biggrin:

I think May is a lot like Battier. You don't take him with a top 6 pick (or really, a top 10 pick). I think this is just a 'hot ticket" type player. He's a solid player, but you run the risk of going Ed O'Bannon on ourselves.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
wonder if may can play the pf?

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Well HAP....IQ, heart & hustle will go a LONG way in making you a player. May has the talent, he has the head and he has the heart.....What is NOT to like? On a team with no less than 4/5 1st round NBA picks, he was BY FAR the best player. He was THE player who carried them to the championship. IF he measures out at 6'9 (and not 6'7 or so) then what is the downside? He is a top 5 pick if he declares IMO. Is Elton Brand really that much of a better player? I don't think so....

1) Marvin Williams - Bogut isn't even close to this guys potential ceiling. A future NBA All Star.

2) Andrew Bogut - VERY good player, not sure he is a future star though.

3) Chris Paul - A very good PG, not sure he is a star either or that he is the 3rd best player, but I am confident that one of ATL, NO or CHA (or UTA?) would take him.

4) Sean May - You can't tell me that some european (Splitter, Andriuskevicius...please, Aleksandrov, Vasquez) putting up pedestrian statistics is better than this kid....Give me a break.

5) Deron Williams - I think he is a BETTER PG than Paul. Better passer, sees the floor better, better leader, better size, better defender, better bball IQ...I wouldn't be surprised at all to see UTA take him. He would be an Excellent fit for them. I think he COULD sneak into the top 3 even. It all depends on teams need. IMO he is the #1 PG in the draft, even with Paul.

6)Gerald Green - He is still a project, not nearly ready for the NBA, but no more than JR Smith, Telfair or Jo.Smith were, and they were able to contribute. GREAT size, nice shooting stroke, good ball fakes, good hops. What's not to like? Just don't expect him to be much of a force for the next few years.

7) Chris Taft - I preface this with an "IF" , With Taft, its all about his head and his heart. What is his desrie level? Is he just content to go thru the motions? To be an NBA player? TAlent-Wise he is top 3 in this draft IMO, but he doesn't APPEAR to ahve 1/2 the desire\heart that MAy does and that is great cause for concern to me. But if he checks out good in that dept (and how do you check that?) then he is a top 5 talent guaranteed, possibly higher.

After that you have a collection of players like Felton, Splitter, Aleksandrov, Andriuskevicius, Bargnani, Granger, Wright, Vasquez, Jack, Diogu, Villanueva, Fernandez & Tomas who will round out the lottery.

Blazer Priorites?
1) Marvin Williams
2) Marvin Williams
3) Marvin Williams
4) Rinse & repeat.....

Seriously?

1) Marvin Williams
2) Andrew Bogut
3) Gerald Green
4) Sean May
5) Chris Taft

Although I REALLY like Deron Williams and Rudy Fernandez, and Andrea Bargnani is intriguing to me, though I know little about him other than what I have read (RED FLAG, RED FLAG)

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
As of right now there is no indication that May is even declaring.

My Priority list

!. Bogut
2. Williams Jr.
3. Green
4. Splitter
5. Chris Taft

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Not one solid NBA-ready shooting guard in the bunch.... what luck....

Too bad we didn't get this pick two years ago... draft Dwyane Wade : )

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I agree with Hap about May. He might not be as bad as Ed O'Bannon, he might be a solid player like Battier, but was Battier really worth a number six pick and is May really worth a top five or six pick? I don't think so. If we do pick him, I will accept that the Blazers know better than me, but I suspect that there will be a better player at our pick.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I have not watched any college ball for ages...

Can Marvin Williams play SG for us? or is he destined to be added to the mix of SF if we add him

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
Not one solid NBA-ready shooting guard in the bunch.... what luck....

Too bad we didn't get this pick two years ago... draft Dwyane Wade : )
To be fair, who though Wade was an NBA ready SG when he came out?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
NateBishop3 said:

For those interested, here is the article.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1112695266167100.xml
We can only hope Portland realizes how far away it is from being complete. And we can only hope the front office realizes how drafting the best available player is the wise move.

Good idea, draft the best player. I agree 100% with this idea.

There may be more heralded players available when Portland is drafting. The potential of North Carolina freshman Marvin Williams is intriguing and Williams might somehow be available. But there's no way the Blazers should choose a world of potential over a world of substance.

We already know how that works out.

But, you can ignore the last statement if the player is young, because of Qyntel Woods. Nevermind that Telfair and Outlaw are showing flashes and Jermaine O'Neal turned into a pretty good player, even if it wasn't with us, taking a young player with potential is a bad idea.

The Blazers have too much youth, and reportedly are using some kind of brainy "Moneyball" philosophy to help shape their draft, but most of what makes May the right choice has nothing to do with numbers.

If the Blazers take a young player and find that they have more young players than they really need, they could always trade one of them for an experienced player. The problem with that idea though it that it assumes that the young player will be any good, and we already know he'll be the next Qyntel Woods, so we better play is safe with a player we know won't be great, but won't be horrible either.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
.......Wow Redhot, you and Canzano think alike... You should really see someone about that :biggrin:
OK caught me. I had just finished one of the morning "S's" with the morning paper. But, [shudder] Canzano might be right.

I do have a serious thought though; As I am tired of (POTENTIAL)talent being UN-realized in the NBA, this team needs some solid, fundamental B-ball players!! Isn't May the best one of these?

Williams, Green have all that potential talent. May seem to have the heart I love watching.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Ok I have to ask...May is on a high profile team and has gotten very very little press prior to last night/today. Why is that?

Another thing I'd point out is Nick Collison. Nick had a phenominal Championship game as a senior at Kansas. Sure Nick missed all of last year, and is playing fairly well this year, but was he a top 5 pick?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The way I see it, the Blazers' top needs are a starting 2G and a backup PF. There aren't any of #1 need (SG) available in this draft, and we already have a first-round pick at that spot from last season who is deserving of a chance at the backup spot. So, forget wasting the pick on a SG. There are plenty of good PF's in the draft and, given Zach's questionable status coming back off of knee surgery, it would be silly to pass on a quality prospect at that position. I'm not sure which one is the best yet, but Sean May was pretty darned impressive last night. If we draft yet another SF prospect, I'm going to :puke:

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I was really liking the idea of drafting Marvin after I saw his 1st few performances in the tournament, but I see his last couple performances have been far from impressive. Yes, I realize he is a 6th man on the deepest team in the nation, but if he is really worthy of a top 2 pick, I think I'd want to see more. Does he do one thing really well? I am really leaning towards Andrew Bogut right now as my top priority, and if we can get him lower, I may take Gerald Green or Chris Taft over Marvin. Who knows, my impression may change a few more times.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts