Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Dallas at #4 ? Where is this John Schuhmann from?

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
People forget that the Grizzlies were 33-13 (that's a 66-win pace) with a healthy Marc Gasol last season. That team is still a threat to finish as high as 3rd in the conference in they dodge the injury bug.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
There is a reason that no team in the East ranks higher than Warriors!

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Lakers are 2nd worst team in the West? They did not count signing Ed Davis as a success.

Very, very bad. They were awful last season,
25 L.A. Lakers (27-55)
Pace: 101.0 (2), OffRtg: 101.9 (21), DefRtg: 107.9 (28), NetRtg: -6.0 (27)
Key addition(s): Lots of "And one!" yelps
Key question: Just how bad can they be defensively?
Very, very bad. They were awful last season, the only plus defender on the roster (Ed Davis) is competing for minutes with Carlos Boozer and Julius Randle, and the last time Byron Scott (the only candidate, it seems) coached was the last time a team ranked in the bottom five in defensive efficiency three straight seasons.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Dallas at #4 ? Where is this John Schuhmann from?
People forget that the Grizzlies were 33-13 (that's a 66-win pace) with a healthy Marc Gasol last season. That team is still a threat to finish as high as 3rd in the conference in they dodge the injury bug.
Dallas picked up Parsons and Tyson Chandler. 4 does seem high for Dallas but they got the biggest FA in the Western Conference and made a big trade too.

I do agree that Dallas is high and Memphis is too low.
Dallas, Memphis, Golden State, and Portland are all in the same tier to me, with Dallas and Memphis at the forefront. The critique of Portland's defense in the article is legitimate. So for me Memphis is too low, but Dallas isn't necessarily too high.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Dallas, Memphis, Golden State, and Portland are all in the same tier to me, with Dallas and Memphis at the forefront. The critique of Portland's defense in the article is legitimate. So for me Memphis is too low, but Dallas isn't necessarily too high.
Interesting. You don't think Houston is in that same tier?

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Nah. Houston has gotten worse. Parsons for Ariza isn't bad, but no Lin, Asik will take a toll. Plus Houston lost to Portland despite having home court, and then lost talent, so they are clearly inferior to teams in that tier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't get the yearly love affair for Golden State. They always seem to be ranked high and this year seems the same. They finished 6th last yr in the Western Conference and haven't really improved this summer. Is Livingston that much of a difference?

If Memphis stays healthy, they will be competing for home court. If not, well Marc could be with a different team this time next year.

I think the Rockets took a big step back, OKC got no better (maybe worse) and San Antonio is one yr older. It could be the Clippers year.

·
Michael Whiteacre's Running Mate
2,338 Posts
Were they going to go 33-3 to finish this hypothetical season?

Or were the NBA going to assign them an extra 10 games so they could get to 66-26?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blazers made quiet moves in the offseason but the quiet moves filled gaping holes on the roster which could help dramatically in the probable 30-40 minutes Blake & Kaman play a game. Will Barton looks like his all around game has improved a lot, just need to see if he can take it from SL to the actual season. I have a lot of faith in McCollum to do what Mo Williams did for the team last season but be more consistent with it. The big problem I felt was the rotation. There were times every game where all 5 starters would be out of the game together. I personally hate seeing that especially with how weak Portland's bench has been the past couple years. Offense should still be potent and the defense should be slightly improved. If Dallas signs Jameer Nelson with Devin Harris & Raymond Felton already on the roster, with the upgrade of Parsons, the Mavericks look pretty good. I wouldn't add Chandler into their evaluation until he can prove he can put together a good healthy season again.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blazers made quiet moves in the offseason but the quiet moves filled gaping holes on the roster which could help dramatically in the probable 30-40 minutes Blake & Kaman play a game. Will Barton looks like his all around game has improved a lot, just need to see if he can take it from SL to the actual season. I have a lot of faith in McCollum to do what Mo Williams did for the team last season but be more consistent with it. The big problem I felt was the rotation. There were times every game where all 5 starters would be out of the game together. I personally hate seeing that especially with how weak Portland's bench has been the past couple years. Offense should still be potent and the defense should be slightly improved. If Dallas signs Jameer Nelson with Devin Harris & Raymond Felton already on the roster, with the upgrade of Parsons, the Mavericks look pretty good. I wouldn't add Chandler into their evaluation until he can prove he can put together a good healthy season again.
I am not as optimistic about the Blazers moves this summer, but I agree the moves fills gaps and helps overall. I'm concerned with their age and injury history and wonder if they can be relied on the whole season, but always nice to have another big man and Blake is better than Mo. I also don't quite see Barton being a big factor but do believe CJ will be a factor this year and T-Rob will continue to improve.

In the west I only see Blazers, Dallas, Clippers and NO really improving . . . maybe GS with Livingston, but that was a big contract they had to dish out for him.

Good to hear from another Blazers fan. After last season, I'm excited to see if the Blazers can continue and even improve from last year.

Think 8th is the right ranking going into the season?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts