Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dale Davis made an autograph-signing and promotional appearance at a local car dealership Monday night. So the Trail Blazers center didn't join Rasheed Wallace and several other teammates at the Rose Garden pro wrestling card.

When Davis got home, his mother, visiting from Georgia, gave him the news.

"Somebody called," Davis said, "and she said, 'I think Rasheed has been traded to Atlanta.' "

"Rasheed is a great player," Davis said. "He's just a super guy to be around, a super guy to play with. He's the type of guy that has your back at all times . . . probably one of the most unselfish guys that I've ever played with . . . probably one of the most underrated defenders around. He comes to work every day. A lot of people don't realize that. ~Dale Davis

"I was with Rasheed at the wrestling," forward Ruben Patterson said. "We were laughing and joking and having a great time, and the next thing I know, I'm hearing that he got traded. My mouth dropped. I was shocked."

I admit that I was shocked too when I heard the news on courtside. I was sure that Dale Davis was the odd man out and Rasheed was going to play out the season here at center. It was a surreal thing wasn't it?

Oregonlive.com

·
Registered
668 Posts
Man people have got to stop acting like Sheed was some kind of God. They weren't going to win it with him, so who cares? He got in a bunch of trouble, whined a lot, and now he's gone. Good for Portland.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>A.W.#8</b>!
Man people have got to stop acting like Sheed was some kind of God. They weren't going to win it with him, so who cares? He got in a bunch of trouble, whined a lot, and now he's gone. Good for Portland.
I think that they are scared, Rasheed has been here for a long time and now they face the unknown. Portland is going to be fine without Rasheed and I also think that he is going to be fine without Portland.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HOWIE</b>!

I think that they are scared, Rasheed has been here for a long time and now they face the unknown. Portland is going to be fine without Rasheed and I also think that he is going to be fine without Portland.
I can agree with that. I think Sheed is a great player, and probably just needs a change of scenery. Portland is also totally due for a change. They haven't really lost too much, probably gained something. Rahim can hopefully be a part of a winning team now, I hope.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Rasheed came to work every day, Dale? Sorry, but I disagree. I saw him disappear in the 4th quarter too many times this year.

·
Registered
762 Posts
To me this is another good reason for him to go. If these guys are looking up to a guy who plays when he feels like it, throws tantrums, and gets loaded we had a real problem. These are not the qualities you want a team aspiring to. Dale "my 4 wheel drive can't leave the driveway" Davis and Ruben Patterson are not exactly people qualified to talk about positive actions.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
more comments from yesterday's practice

Some quotes:

The mood at practice Tuesday morning was, in Cheeks' words, somber. Wallace, a usual fixture in his gray T-shirt with the words "Dirty 30" scrawled on the back in magic marker, was noticeably absent. Wallace wore No. 30 for the Blazers.

"Business is business," forward Ruben Patterson said. "I'll miss Rasheed. He is a friend of mine."

Center Dale Davis expressed some surprise that the Blazers made the move after having won seven of their last eight games and moving closer to a playoff spot.

"We've, as a unit, had our problems. But overall we're a team, all for one and one for all," Davis said.

"It's like a new era," Cheeks said.

"This is a time, I think, when we gather everybody together and work to become a family," Cheeks said.

Full article
http://sports.iwon.com/news/02112004/v4794.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh thats why they all left early. I was at the wrestling event, and as I was walking I walked past all the guys leaving, even though there was still half an hour of show left. I was wondering why they left early.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Sheed has been in Portland for over seven year plus he lives there year round. Good or bad he's part of the landscape there and it will take time to get used to him not being around.

I think for the Blazer players it's much like when an older brother goes off to college and the reality that he wont be there every day. It may take a week or two but they'll get past it especially when SAR puts up 30 against the Nuggs.;)

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Players are human beings. On one hand, we really don't know them as people. OTOH, how players feel about each other as people/friends isn't influenced by the media or the fans.

The reactions we are hearing from the team are perfectly natural. I am not the least bit surprised or worried.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts