Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really entertaining game to watch. There were actually about as many folks there as have been at recent Blazer games. I mean, shoot, you couldn't even hear sneakers screeching and echoing throughout the arena.

The Blazers looked good early, then, as seems to be usual, collapsed in the 3rd Quarter. I really felt as if it was gonna be a replay of the Orlando game, but the kids surprised me. They showed a lot of heart and EFFORT to win a game that they could have just as easily mailed in. I WAS PROUD OF THEM!!

Couple of game thoughts (I'm not real good at this, but I'll make an effort):

I can really see why a lot of people think Miles is lost, lazy, or indifferent. Some of the passes he threw for turnovers, I mean, I just couldn't believe. Many times, he really seemed like he was just going through the motions during the first half. He was better the second half and, fortunately, made that game winning shot. But, other than that, he looked like he still had thoughts of Thanksgiving leftovers on his mind. If he could just put together a full-game effort.....well, he "might" be deserving of an All-Star ballot entry. All that said, though, I was really encouraged by the way he took it STRONG to the cup for that game winner. A monster play for that moment!

Zach had a very nice game. He made tough shot after tough shot. Many in the key area with guys all over him. He was doubled and tripled for much of the game. He had some very nifty moves getting to the hoop which allowed him layups or scoops, etc. And, he even played some decent defense. Sure, Al Harrington had 16 points, but he had to "work" for most of them. On many of his shots, Zach had a hand right in his face (mostly jumpers), and Harrington dropped them through. Zach seemed to rotate well on defense, as well. Again, I had absolutely no problem with his defense today. I see how Zach gets so many rebounds. He really gets to the spots early, and uses his body wonderfully to get in good position to snare the ball. I was really proud of him today. He really seems to listen to Maurice on the bench. Lucas was over there many times with his notebook, apparently teaching Zach some things. Z-Bo was very focused and listening intently to Maurice. I really enjoyed seeing that going on. A good sign. One more note: Zach got KILLED by Pachulia & Co. when he was playing Center late in the 3rd and some of the 4th quarter. I have NO idea why Nate used him there for so long. Joel and Theo had only 2 fouls a piece. The Hawks made their biggest runs while Z-Bo was at the 5.

While Telfair is a blur on the court, he still seems to have a lot of trouble "leading and directing" the team. Not only that, the Hawks employed a trap with a fair amount of success while Telfair was in the game. That didn't happen with Jack on the court. As many of you know, Jack was playing Point when the Blazers made their comeback, and for the win. I really thought Jack would struggle as this was his first game back "home". He did only shoot 2-9, but many of those rattled the rim. In fact, I don't believe he took a bad shot today. He just seemed so poised out there. Dude's gonna be a quality PG in this league for a long, long time. I told Scott Zachry (Blazers TV Producer) that, either, Jack or Telfair will have to go within two years.

Martell saved the game for us today. Not only was he draining the rock, he made some very crisp passes, and actually played some GOOD defense on Joe Johnson! One play really impressed me though: Instead of pulling up for the J, he drove the ball hard for a very tough layup. Personally, I didn't know he could handle the ball driving to the cup like that. It was one of those late-game plays where you sit back, nod your head and go to yourself, "we're gonn win this thing." I don't see how much longer Nate can keep this kid on the bench. I sense starter status...........soon.

Travis struggled shooting again, but you get the sense that his shot will eventually start falling. Based upon what I was seeing, I'm not too concerned. I like the D that he played, he hustled, and seemed to do a lot of the "little" things that don't show up on a box score. He's a consummate backup to Miles.

Monia. Hmmmm...........Monia. Hit a timely trey, but all I can say, after seeing him live for just the first time, is that he needs time. He just needs some time. I did like the way he handled the ball, though. If it weren't for him, I'm not sure we would have broken some of those traps they were laying on us. Plus, there was another play whereas the Blazers were coming down for a seeming fastbreak. However, the Hawks close don it quickly, so, rather than force the issue, Monia calmly dribbled back otu up top and got the ball into telfair's hands to set up a play. What Monia did seemed so......Stocktonesque.

Other notes: Pryz got some bad, early calls and went quickly to the bench early....and frustrated. Those were the last fouls he would get, though. He seemed to play with much less passion after that. Probably why Pachulia went for 15/10 today. Charles Smith needs to be cut. There's no more room for him. Ratliff played so within himself today. He is PERFECT in this role: 15 minutes, 4-4 from the field, 5 Rebounds, 5 blocks. Wow.

All in all, just a nice little win. I'd say it was "just" against the lowly Hawks......but, after what they had done to Boston and Indiana, I couldn't say that. It was simply a very nice come-from-behind win on the road. You savor those...REGARDLESS of who the opponent is.

GO BLAZERS!!

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Thanks for the recap....I don't think this game was on leage pass today!

:banana:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Thanks for the updates, ABM and congratulations on being mentioned on the radio.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks for the update. Entertaining read.

A win is a win is a win. If the Hawks had won, they would have "only beat the Blazers" so.....

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SheedSoNasty said:
Thanks for the updates, ABM and congratulations on being mentioned on the radio.
Interesting. I wonder what they said?

I went to the game with a buddy of mine, so, naturally, I took him down the meet Wheels & Co. before the game. Wheels was happy to see me, so that made me feel pretty special. I met Antonio Harvey and also saw my buddy Scott Zachry (Blazer TV Producer), who was getting the night off as the game wasn't being televised.

Heh, Scott even said he visits our board and always appreciates reading the latest links that I (and others) post. Said it saves him the time from digging them up. I tol him that of course, from my perspective, it makes it easy that I live three hours ahead of you guys.

Anywho, it's always good seeing the fellas. :yes:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
ABM said:

I went to the game with a buddy of mine, so, naturally, I took him down the meet Wheels & Co. before the game. Wheels was happy to see me, so that made me feel pretty special. I met Antonio Harvey and also saw my buddy Scott Zachry (Blazer TV Producer), who was getting the night off as the game wasn't being televised.

Heh, Scott even said he visits our board and always appreciates reading the latest links that I (and others) post. Said it saves him the time from digging them up. I tol him that of course, from my perspective, it makes it easy that I live three hours ahead of you guys.

Anywho, it's always good seeing the fellas. :yes:
I'm still waiting for the other boot to fall, and hear a "god, that hap is such an annoying *** hole, how do you guys put up with him?"

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for the recap ABM. My TIVO did not pick up the game today or it wasn't on, I'm not sure which. Anyway glad you got to see them in person.

Zack's game has been up and down, but when he is on he is almost unstoppable. I'm glad to see Web have a good game again. Thats two now where he has just stroked it. I look for the day we can play Travis and Web together. I'm not sure how that will happen but that can be a lot of firepower. My sense is that the Blazers are going to get it all together one of there days and give us a game of "preview of the future". It may very well be amazing. Not just a quarter here and there.

Anyway, thanks again.

I don't suppose that the new grandaughter got to go to the game though.
O well, I suppose that their is still time for her to get to enjoy the finer things in life. :biggrin:

gatorpops

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gatorpops said:
...I don't suppose that the new grandaughter got to go to the game though.
O well, I suppose that their is still time for her to get to enjoy the finer things in life. :biggrin:

gatorpops
Actually, it's a boy, but that's OK, they all pretty much look either way when they're that young. :)

The buddy that went to the game with me today offered me 4 tickets to Friday's Raptors @ Hawks game. My daughter (of course, bringing the grandson) wants to go, but my wife has a lot of catching up to do (considering all the time she's been putting in with the birth and the grandson things), so we may not get to go. There's still a chance that I'll go with my daughter and grandson, though.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
ABM said:
Actually, it's a boy, but that's OK, they all pretty much look either way when they're that young. :)

The buddy that went to the game with me today offered me 4 tickets to Friday's Raptors @ Hawks game. My daughter (of course, bringing the grandson) wants to go, but my wife has a lot of catching up to do (considering all the time she's been putting in with the birth and the grandson things), so we may not get to go. There's still a chance that I'll go with my daughter and grandson, though.
Yeah, I guess that "Blue" would indicate a boy wouldn't it?
Sorry, I was trusting my memory about the child.
Oh well, they are all special.

Incedently, did you once work for or with some of the Blazer office staff or something? You seem to be familiar with Wheels ect.? Just curiouus.

gatorpops

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I almost drove up to go see this game. But my in laws flew in this weekend and were driving up from Orlando to see us here in Fort Walton Beach and I couldn't convince them to drive another 4 hours out of their way to go see it. I really wish that I could have gone. I even had the wife excited to go. Darn in laws not waiting to drive 11 hours with a Blazer game in the middle. I am sad that the Hornets aren't playing more games in NO as that is a much easier drive for me.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
ABM said:
I heard your name but they bleeped the rest out. :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts