Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Skokie, IL 60076
17,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, the Warriors gave free agent Adonal Foyle a six-year, $51 million contract. And the Grizzlies offered Brian Cardinal $37 million over the same period. Meanwhile, Przybilla will make $1.6 million this season and figures to attract interest from a handful of teams, including the Chicago Bulls.

"We hear that after every team comes to town," Noelle said. "People always say, 'Chicago reaaaallly likes you.'
Or 'this other team is going to try and sign Joel,' but in the end, we know the decision here is out of our hands like it's always been."

Blazers coach Nate McMillan and Nash said re-signing Przybilla is the franchise's "top priority."

I won't blow smoke at Joel," McMillan said. "He fits the direction I want to go."

Which only means this is about to get interesting.

Blazers President Steve Patterson said the franchise is going to wait and allow the market to dictate Przybilla's value. Meanwhile, the team can offer only the mid-level exception (about $5.5 million annually) over five years while non-salary cap teams can go higher.

Meanwhile, Przybilla is calling his free agency a family decision, deferring part of the decision to his wife, who is from Milwaukee, where they still own an offseason home. And as a wild card, maybe the team should just consider the most lucrative, legal inducement it could make during this process.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...sports/1144479380121990.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

· Premium Member
3,528 Posts
nanokooshball said:
Is Joel really worth more than MLE? I am not sure, but I am leaning with don't think so.
I don't think so either, and I don't think he will be much better than what he is now. I don't want us to overpay for him just because we are desperate for size.

· Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
But we need to overpay because we're the needy team.

But we don't have to overpay much, I'd bet. What if we started him at $6.4 mil, over 5 years, for a total of $40 million? That's not terrible at all, and it prices him out of Portland's range. Only teams under the cap can offer something like that, and if someone else outbids us, then that's fine, since it'll just take away from someone else's cap space. If we end up winning him, then we've added to our frontcourt with some slight overpayment but we'd still have cap space left, I believe, to throw the max at another player.

To my knowledge we're around $33-35 on the books next year, with the cap maybe near $48-50? That's sick! Spending $6.4 mil leaves $9 mil or more in cap space that we can toss at whoever.

Our competitors for Joel are probably New Orleans, Atlanta, Toronto and Charlotte. Toronto and New Orleans are less needy, as they already have decent star players in the frontcourt (West, Bosh, Villanueva) and have other needs (shooting guards, namely). Charlotte, if they opt to take on Przybilla, would probably be saying goodbye to Melvin Ely, who I think the Bulls could then offer just a hair above the MLE to get, and he might actually be the player I'd prefer. Atlanta is the only other team that's desperate for size up front and has the same level of cap space that we do.

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Przy is one of the few quality unrestricted free agent centers available next summer. The restricted free agent centers many people talk about (e.g. Wilcox) will most likely require a sign and trade arrangement. So it's important to keep in mind that if the Bulls offer more than the MLE for Przy they probably will not have to trade away an asset (e.g., Gordon,Sweetney,Duhon,draft choices) in order to get him.

Personally, I think he's worth more than the MLE. It's improbable that one can obtain an NBA center out of his rookie contract who plays quality minutes for less than the MLE. Przybilla is a good, young defensive center with great shot-blocking ability. He uses his large body to set solid pics on offense and clog the middle on defense -- a couple of things the Bulls are a little short of at the moment. He also has the size to defend the largest NBA centers one-on-one (something the Bulls could definitely use).

If it is not hard to believe that Eddy Curry can learn to play defense, pass and rebound some time in the future, then why is it so hard to hope that Przybilla could learn some inside offensive moves?

What's the point of cap space if you don't use it to your advantage? The Bulls have little advantage over the many teams that are over the cap when it comes to bidding on unrestricted free agents since nearly every team in the league is capable of negotiating a sign and trade. But in Przybilla's case the Bulls have a clear advantage over every other team except Toronto, Charlotte and Atlanta. It would be a shame not to use it to get a guy who would fit in well on the Bulls and, together with Chandler, provide stability at the center position for the next 10 years.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Showtyme said:
But we need to overpay because we're the needy team.

But we don't have to overpay much, I'd bet. What if we started him at $6.4 mil, over 5 years, for a total of $40 million? That's not terrible at all, and it prices him out of Portland's range. Only teams under the cap can offer something like that, and if someone else outbids us, then that's fine, since it'll just take away from someone else's cap space. If we end up winning him, then we've added to our frontcourt with some slight overpayment but we'd still have cap space left, I believe, to throw the max at another player.

To my knowledge we're around $33-35 on the books next year, with the cap maybe near $48-50? That's sick! Spending $6.4 mil leaves $9 mil or more in cap space that we can toss at whoever.

Our competitors for Joel are probably New Orleans, Atlanta, Toronto and Charlotte. Toronto and New Orleans are less needy, as they already have decent star players in the frontcourt (West, Bosh, Villanueva) and have other needs (shooting guards, namely). Charlotte, if they opt to take on Przybilla, would probably be saying goodbye to Melvin Ely, who I think the Bulls could then offer just a hair above the MLE to get, and he might actually be the player I'd prefer. Atlanta is the only other team that's desperate for size up front and has the same level of cap space that we do.
If anything, New Orleans and Toronto are really needy for a guy like Joel. Toronto needs a solid Defensive Center to pair with Bosh so that Bosh can move to PF and Charlie to SF. New Orleans also needs some size for the front court with PJ getting older. And one of their guys was kicked out of the league for drug violations.

· Premium Member
6,650 Posts
spongyfungy said:
Last year, the Warriors gave free agent Adonal Foyle a six-year, $51 million contract. And the Grizzlies offered Brian Cardinal $37 million over the same period.
Not to split hairs, but that was 2 years ago (for both deals, I believe--it was for the Foyle deal).

I thought Joel Przybilla was wanting out of Portland b/c of teammates quitting on the season already. Did I imagine that, or was that a legit rumor?

· Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
nanokooshball said:
If anything, New Orleans and Toronto are really needy for a guy like Joel. Toronto needs a solid Defensive Center to pair with Bosh so that Bosh can move to PF and Charlie to SF. New Orleans also needs some size for the front court with PJ getting older. And one of their guys was kicked out of the league for drug violations.
I believe you on that, they ARE both needy for Joel, but I think they'd make it a higher priority to look at scorers. Toronto has to be on the hunt for Al Harrington, the best offensive option available this summer, while New Orleans needs serious help at the wing spots... Kirk Snyder and JR Smith and Desmond Mason are all sort of falling short of expectations.

The Bulls have a lot of talent at the 1-2-3 spots, so I think going after Przy is a higher priority than it is for the other teams. But we certainly could be outbid by any one of them, for sure.

· Registered
3,379 Posts
Showtyme said:
I believe you on that, they ARE both needy for Joel, but I think they'd make it a higher priority to look at scorers. Toronto has to be on the hunt for Al Harrington, the best offensive option available this summer, while New Orleans needs serious help at the wing spots... Kirk Snyder and JR Smith and Desmond Mason are all sort of falling short of expectations.

The Bulls have a lot of talent at the 1-2-3 spots, so I think going after Przy is a higher priority than it is for the other teams. But we certainly could be outbid by any one of them, for sure.
I disagree. Why would Toronto want a 3/4 tweener and more offense when they already have Charlie V and are 4th in the league in scoring? What they really need, IMO, is a defensive presence in the middle. I think Pryz will go there.

· Registered
1,602 Posts
Well according to a report we saw in an online article 9 I think the Oregonian) Paxson did try to trade for Przybilla...so i guess he is on our radar

· Registered
3,393 Posts
Pryz is exactly the type of plaer that Paxson loves. A self-made hard working, team first guy. Noticed I left out talented???

In any case, Pryz is some we should go after as is Nazr and any other big man. Play them against each other in negotiations the way they play teams against each other.

Also, the likely contract for Pryz and his above average defensive abilities will make him an attractive trade asset for many years.

We could do worse, that's for sure.

Also, Chicago would put his family back near his home and I'm sure his wife would like that.

· Registered
6,716 Posts
Darius Miles Davis said:
Again, I don't mind the idea of acquiring Pryzbilla, but if he's the first player we go after this offseason, I'm going to be pissed (unless we draft Aldridge first). We need post scoring desperately.
Don't we have enough cap space to go after 2 guys at the same time. Pax is going to have to be very aggressive this off-season if he is going to land a big prize. Or two.

· Registered
580 Posts
I think Portland is over hyping Joe.He would be a nice addition but we could get a better player then him.I heard Peja Stoy-jock-my-itch is concidering testing the market.Do we go after him?He'd be the big guard we need. :biggrin:

· Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
I don't think Joel would be a very good fit for you guys. With Tyson Chandler you already have a very good defensive center who also rebounds well. That is pretty much Joel but 4 years younger. Like someone posted above, you need a scoring post more than another defensive post.

· Registered
9,350 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
I don't think Joel would be a very good fit for you guys. With Tyson Chandler you already have a very good defensive center who also rebounds well. That is pretty much Joel but 4 years younger. Like someone posted above, you need a scoring post more than another defensive post.
That's my impression as well. But, perhaps he would be a nice starting 5 to go with our new 4 in the draft with chandler coming off the bench.

Its not like we're making any type of title run next season. Its going to be a couple years, best case, before we're serious players. In the end, we’ll have to wait for our lotto pick to develop into a star type player or pray Paxson makes a quality trade.

· Registered
10,191 Posts
I'm surprised Portland is so hot for Przybilla. He's a legit center who'll contribute, but not anything groundbreaking. With that said, we have a place for him here but overpaying would be a waste of good cap room. Still, him and Chandler form a nice defensive foundation at center with alot of rebounding (and I doubt we'd see them on the floor together much). He's not the athlete Chandler is, but he's stronger and would be a better solo defender.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Showtyme said:

I really don't think that Toronto needs anymore scoring than they already have. They average 101.3 ppg and that's 4th in the league. They desperately need a defensive presence. I also don't see why Toronto would even bother going after Al since they already have Charlie. It'd seem kind of redundant. I see Toronto going after Speedy Claxton this summer to help Mike James man the PG spot since James isn't a true pass-first PG and CLaxton is. The GM will also get some more players to bulk up their bench. They also need a new coach emphasizing Defense.

· Registered
5,808 Posts
Chicago is EXACTLY the type of team he'd want to play for PLUS his wife is in Milwaukee. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that he'd DEFININTELY have us at the top of his list.

As long as we got Tyrus, I wouldn't mind Joel but I'd rather have Nene.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.