Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the unhappiness with Mo, I am wondering what type of coach folks would like to see the Blazers have?

The name "O'Brien" has been mentioned several times. According to many sources, a big part of the reason he resigned from the Celtics was his distaste for grooming younger players. He prefered to rely on proven, albeit mediocre vets (eg Eric Williams).
I can't see that attitude being productive for us!:eek:

The names Karl and Frattello are also bandied about for every available job. Do we want a coach whose notion of "hard-nosed" is to diss his own players to the media? Do we need a guy who thinks chaos and turmoil are somehow "insiprational"?

Personally, I want to see 2 things from a coach.

A). I want a guy who is a source of stability to the team when things go bad. Someone like Silas who is firm without under-cutting his own guys. I thought this would be one of Mo's strong points, but his "I give up, I don't know what to do" demeanor is disappointing.

B). I want a coach who can "adapt, react, and overcome". One of the things that made John Wooden one of the greatest coaches of all time was his ability to win with many different TYPES of players. He had a knack for molding his gameplan to take advantage of their strengths, while disguising their weaknesses.
(as opposed to Mo, who seems to just toss 5 guys out there at random)

Right now, I don't have any specific names in mind. Anybody else have any inspirations? Despite our failure with Mo, it doesn't need to be a recycled head coach. There are assistant coaches out there who are going to be good head coaches some day....it is just a matter of identifying them.:gossip:

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
maybe it's nuts, but the idea of Bill Laimbeer coaching the Blazers is just so crazy it just might work...

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!
With all the unhappiness with Mo, I am wondering what type of coach folks would like to see the Blazers have?

The name "O'Brien" has been mentioned several times. According to many sources, a big part of the reason he resigned from the Celtics was his distaste for grooming younger players. He prefered to rely on proven, albeit mediocre vets (eg Eric Williams).
I can't see that attitude being productive for us!:eek:

The names Karl and Frattello are also bandied about for every available job. Do we want a coach whose notion of "hard-nosed" is to diss his own players to the media? Do we need a guy who thinks chaos and turmoil are somehow "insiprational"?

Personally, I want to see 2 things from a coach.

A). I want a guy who is a source of stability to the team when things go bad. Someone like Silas who is firm without under-cutting his own guys. I thought this would be one of Mo's strong points, but his "I give up, I don't know what to do" demeanor is disappointing.

B). I want a coach who can "adapt, react, and overcome". One of the things that made John Wooden one of the greatest coaches of all time was his ability to win with many different TYPES of players. He had a knack for molding his gameplan to take advantage of their strengths, while disguising their weaknesses.
(as opposed to Mo, who seems to just toss 5 guys out there at random)

Right now, I don't have any specific names in mind. Anybody else have any inspirations? Despite our failure with Mo, it doesn't need to be a recycled head coach. There are assistant coaches out there who are going to be good head coaches some day....it is just a matter of identifying them.:gossip:

Tom "Gunny" Highway

I said pass the ball Damon to your teammates and I'm tired of your dribbling display every time you touch the ball. You have 5 seconds to have some crisp passing before I start shooting! Ready, set, improvise! :grinning:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Although it's important to have a coach the players respect, it's another when the players won't do as their taught. The player seem to like and respect Mo, but he won't make the really tough decisions to force players to be better and work harder.

I would like to see a coach who will make the very tough & unpopular decisions until a player(s) play the way they're supposed to. Damon wouldn't be starting until he learned to run the offense with more than 12 seconds left. Zach would sit more until he played with some passion on defense. DA wouldn't start until he built up some consistency coming off his injury. And so forth.

Who would that coach be? I'm not sure as I really don't know all that much about some of the unemployed coaches.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
R. Lee Emry.
I can picture him screaming at Damon right now...

How tall are you point guard?

Sir, 5'9" sir.

5'9" huh? I didn't know they stacked **** that high. You trying to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere huh?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Coach K is the answer! Paul needs to pay for a coach to build a team around, much like they've done with Phil Jackson and Larry Brown.

Did ya see how good the help defense was against UNC last night? We have young players here who would buy into what Coach K has to say!:D

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RipCityJB</b>!
I don't know about Coach K.......coaches going from college to the NBA don't have the best track record.
You are right if you think of P.J. Carlisimo but remember L. Brown was at Kansas. HE turned out ok.

I would think a guy like K would be ok in the NBA. He has a system and phylosophy the exact opposite of Mo. A guy like him will never leave the NCAA for the NBA. He has Security, Money and Control for life.

I thought we should have brought Rick Carlisle back to Portland.

Young, Players like him and a great X and O guy.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We better start thinking of a new coach because Cheeks is pissing the talent away of this group with awful subs and leaving Damon in all game. Did ya see Cook whip that pass into Patterson? :yes:

BTW- Coach K is the only coach from college that I think could win at the next level that could come up today!

If we get rid of Sheed and Damon this team is a bunch of Pups, a team that Coach K could mold big time!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I can think of a few college coaches who could probably be decent NBA coaches.

Roy Williams, who made Kansas a perennial contender and has quickly revived UNC... Gary Williams, who's turned Maryland into one of the best programs in the country... Coach K, no doubt... perhaps Tom Izzo or Mike Montgomery...

Mainly, it comes down to a coach who can take talented players with a diversity of skills and mold them into a system... the taskmasters who take players with average talent and scold them into executing (Bob Knight, Rick Pitino, Gene Keaty) have no chance. The guys who've pulled off that kind of act (Pat Riley, Jerry Sloan) are the exception to the rule.

Even still, I see no chance of any of the college coaches I mentioned making the jump to the NBA. There's job security and satisfaction in college that a coach will never get in the pro's.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Jim Lynam- knows the players, always seems prepared and focused, has head coach experience in the NBA, and always has a positive attitude

He would be my choice if Cheeks was let go. But I'd rather keep Cheeks right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts