Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Trail Blazers' summer agenda was revealed late Tuesday night at the minute the free agent market opened. That's when general manager Kevin Pritchard and assistant general manager Tom Penn called agent Lon Babby to begin the courtship of small forward Hedo Turkoglu.

"Kevin Pritchard and Tom Penn called me at the earliest possible moment and expressed enthusiasm for engaging in discussions about Hedo becoming a Trail Blazer," Babby said late Tuesday night. "We have begun that process."

Pritchard said he first contacted guard Brandon Roy and forward LaMarcus Aldridge, who both are seeking contract extensions with the Blazers, before inquiring about Turkoglu.

Turkoglu, 30, is a 6-foot-10 shooter who this season helped Orlando reach the NBA Finals. He averaged 16.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.9 assists this season. The nine-year veteran is regarded as a perimeter shooter but is coming off a season when he made just 41.3 percent from the field and 35.6 percent from three-point range.
Link

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
With Batum and Fernandez backing up Roy and Hedo at the 2/3, you'd have to think that the Blazers would immediately start heavily looking to ship out Blake, Outlaw and one of their European guys for a PG like Kirk Hinrich.

PG: Kirk Hinrich...Jerryd Bayless
SG: Brandon Roy...Nicolas Batum
SF: Hedo Turkoglu...Rudy Fernandez...Martell Webster
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge...Jeff Pendergraph
C: Greg Oden...Joel Przybilla

That could be a dangerous squad. They'd also be a much more dangerous team from behind the arc with Hinrich and Hedo rather than Blake and Outlaw.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blake is pretty good from the 3 too, but I do like that lineup!

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan is flying to Orlando to have a Wednesday night dinner with the Blazers' top free-agent target, Hedo Turkoglu.

Turkoglu's agent, Lon Babby, said Wednesday that Turkoglu will then travel to Oregon for a Thursday tour of the Blazers' facilities and meetings with Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard and assistant GM Tom Penn.

With the Blazers projected to have $8 million to $9 million in salary-cap space this summer -- with firm figures not known until the league announces next season's salary cap on July 8 -- and the Orlando Magic lacking the financial flexibility to re-sign Turkoglu after trading for Vince Carter last week, Turkoglu is widely expected to land with the Blazers as the first marquee free-agent signing of Pritchard's reign.

Teams and free agents were permitted to strike verbal agreements on new deals as of 12:01 a.m. ET Wednesday but new contracts cannot be signed until the cap figure is announced and the NBA's moratorium on signings is lifted next week.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sign and Trade Hedo with Outlaw going to the Magic. Do it!
From what I've read they'll just out right sign Hedo and then do a sign and trade for Andre Miller.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
I really would like that sign and trade with Orlando. If the Blazers add Turkoglu, Fernandez is going to want out. So that can work well for pretty much everybody involved.

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
From what I've read they'll just out right sign Hedo and then do a sign and trade for Andre Miller.
Idk, there is a chance that they made need Orlando's help but we'll see...

The Raptors are preparing an offer of five years and $60 million for Hedo Turkoglu, according to the Oregonian

However, in order for Toronto to clear enough money to sign Turkoglu to the five-year, $60 million deal, it would have to renounce the contracts of Shawn Marion, Anthony Parker, Carlos Delfino, Patrick O'Bryant and Quincy Douby. The team is leery of taking that path, having that same tactic backfire last season when it created room for the arrival of Jermaine O'Neal.

Homepage of Hoopshype
http://www.hoopshype.com
If this report is true, I assume Portland would likely need Orlando's help to match $12mil/per, unless Hedo agrees to settle for less money.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really would like that sign and trade with Orlando. If the Blazers add Turkoglu, Fernandez is going to want out. So that can work well for pretty much everybody involved.
I've heard the rumors of Rudy being unhappy, but I think they are just that rumors. I don't see him going anywhere.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idk, there is a chance that they made need Orlando's help but we'll see...

If this report is true, I assume Portland would likely need Orlando's help to match $12mil/per, unless Hedo agrees to settle for less money.
I don't think there is any way Portland would pay him that much money. That's a lot to pay to someone for that many years considering he's 30 now. Plus I think he'd rather play for a contender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts