Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Portland continues its turnaround by rallying to beat Atlanta for a fourth consecutive win away from home

ATLANTA -- Rip City. Boom-chaka-laka. Red hot and rollin'.

You pick the trademark Trail Blazers radio catchphrase for excitement and use it, because for the first time this season, the Blazers are swelling with enthusiasm and accomplishment.

The Blazers finished their three-game road swing undefeated after a 93-85 win over the Atlanta Hawks on Thursday, which continued their about-face since being called a "bad" team by coach Maurice Cheeks last Saturday.

What a great road trip for the Blazers. The new line up of Wallace, Randolph, Miles, Anderson, Stoudamire is looking better and better as they gel. Does this mean that Davis is the one that might be shipped out instead of Wallace? Trying not to get sucked in, but that line up looks great and Portland just looks like they need someone to back up Damon and they might be set to make some more noise! :yes:

Oregonlive.com

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HOWIE</b>!
...The new line up of Wallace, Randolph, Miles, Anderson, Stoudamire is looking better and better as they gel. Does this mean that Davis is the one that might be shipped out instead of Wallace?
I think you may have hit it on the head..... I would not mind seeing Dale go for a younger center. He does have good D at times, we just need more consistantcy.

We need rebounds and blocked shots... like Ratliff does.

remember when we use to be one of the top rebounding teams in the league?

remember someone posted an Indiana dealll.. Pollard and ? for Davis...

ok, off my soapbox... :soapbox:

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could see Davis being shipped out instead of Wallace. The need is really needed at point and I don't know if Qyntel is the answer there. He seems to be a better fit at the three, but then what to do with Miles? :eek:

Could Nash be thinking about moving both Dale and Woods for a player that could help this team right off the bat?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
bingo, Howie. Dale has had his grousing, and Woods certainly has drawn some bad PR.

I'd rather see both shipped in trying for a PG prospect.

With McInnis, Bonzi, Dale and Woods gone, Portland could rightly claim they've gone through a character overhaul without giving up Sheed. especially if Miles becomes a fan favorite, Person continues to contribute off the bench, Patterson stays under the radar and Zach grows into the role of "media darling."

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
What about Jeff Foster and Fred Jones for Dale? I'd take Pollard too, he's a good guy, just unique.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
bingo, Howie. Dale has had his grousing, and Woods certainly has drawn some bad PR.

I'd rather see both shipped in trying for a PG prospect.

With McInnis, Bonzi, Dale and Woods gone, Portland could rightly claim they've gone through a character overhaul without giving up Sheed. especially if Miles becomes a fan favorite, Person continues to contribute off the bench, Patterson stays under the radar and Zach grows into the role of "media darling."
Patterson has had worse PR, is older and I think is a worse player, he certianly has much less upside, I would rather trade Davis and him. Patterson has had some good games recently so a team might be interested in him as well.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
of the two, I'd rather trade Patterson as well. however, I suspect most teams would offer far more value in a trade if we dangle Woods instead.

if anything, I think Patterson's value has actually dropped since we picked him up a few years ago as a free agent.

maybe there's a deal to be had with Dale Davis for Scott Pollard and Jamaal Tinsley. Tinsley is in only his third year....

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
With Dale $9 mil or so and Woods $1 mil = $10 mil OUT

you can bring back about $11.6 mil in salaries as a max amount

who do you want for that?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
With Dale $9 mil or so and Woods $1 mil = $10 mil OUT

you can bring back about $11.6 mil in salaries as a max amount

who do you want for that?
What is the min we would have to take back? What are the min and max for Davis and Patterson?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If DD really accepts his rola as a backup, I sort of like keeping him as a backup for PF/C. We could do worse. I also wonder how much trading value he has at his age.

As to Patterson, I think he's more tradable now than he was a couple of years ago (as he has kept his, er, nose clean) but his salary is a bit high for what he brings.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting idea.......

Trade Dale Davis back to Indiana so he can finish out his career with the Pacers.

Of course the Pacers are going to want more than just Davis and if Portland was to include Woods they could sweeten the deal. This type of a deal is going to do nothing but get you back some nice role players to go around the starters of......

Wallace
Randolph
Miles
Anderson
Miles

Patterson
Person

Who is going to be your third man off the bench? Does Indiana have the players that are going to help Portland? Any deal is going to have to include a point guard and a big body IMO, maybe Indiana is that team.

However, Indiana doesn't have a lot to work with as far as numbers to send something back to Portland that still fits that 2 year window. Foster might be a nice player, but his contract is way to long.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Howie... Miles is going ot get tired playing both starting PG and SF don't you think? :D

Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!
What is the min we would have to take back? What are the min and max for Davis and Patterson?
Davis/Woods min = about $8.6 mil

Davis/Patterson
$9 mil + $5.4 mil = $14.4 mil
Max to take back = $16.7 mil
Min to take back= $12.43 mil

assuming both teams are over the salary cap of course

·
Registered
285 Posts
a little too early

I know that Cheeks normally has a positive outlook on the team, but I think he's being a bit premature with his "we've turned ourselves around" quote. I like the 3-game winning streak we have going, and I like it even more that our team is playing better defense. But a 3-game winning streak is not much to be excited about, especially with how easy this team can revert back to their losing ways. I hope our team know that they still have to improve on just about every aspects in order for them to play winning basketball again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HOWIE</b>!

Could Nash be thinking about moving both Dale and Woods for a player that could help this team right off the bat?
I hope that Davis accept his new role off the bench, because he would make a fine back up c/pf. I really like the frontline of Wallace, Miles, and Rondolph. It has a bit of everything, rebounding, slashing, and shooting. On defense, Miles and Wallace are good enough of a help defender to cover for Randolph.

·
Registered
285 Posts
of the two, I'd rather trade Patterson as well. however, I suspect most teams would offer far more value in a trade if we dangle Woods instead.
I agree with you. Although, if Patterson contract was a little smaller, I would love to keep him. He accepts his role, and he's a fine role player that likes to do all the dirty work. Every teams should have a guy like Patterson off the bench.

maybe there's a deal to be had with Dale Davis for Scott Pollard and Jamaal Tinsley. Tinsley is in only his third year....
I wouldn't mind that trade. Pollard isn't as good as Davis, but he's younger and a good backup center who accepts his role. Tinsley is in his third year, but he's like 26 year old, I think. He would make a nice backup pg.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

A good idea, but not one that I like. Tinsley is a guy who's slow and can't shoot straight... and he's going to be 26 at the end of February, so I don't see a ton of upside. Pollard's a decent backup, but so's Dale.

I'd rather push for this:

Al Harrington + Scot Pollard

for

Dale Davis + Qyntel Woods

Dale would upgrade their center spot, and Woods would give them another young athlete to replace Harrington.

Probably not enough for Indy, but maybe.

Ed O.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
Al Harrington + Scot Pollard

for

Dale Davis + Qyntel Woods

Dale would upgrade their center spot, and Woods would give them another young athlete to replace Harrington.

Probably not enough for Indy, but maybe.

Ed O.
Agreed. Not enough for Indiana. I would be willing to add one of Portland's lower 1st round picks in that deal for Indiana to bite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts