Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Interesting that it was only a 10 day contract. I figured we'd sign him for the rest of the season. Could mean there's another trade possible before the 10 days is up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!
Interesting that it was only a 10 day contract. I figured we'd sign him for the rest of the season. Could mean there's another trade possible before the 10 days is up.
Yeah or they just want to see if he is the guy they want cuz they have time before dedline after the 10 days to sign someone else. Maybe Mateen Cleaves or Erick Barkley(who just scored 30 in his last game.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
I recall reports that he's really 5'10, so at least he'll tower over DS ;) I remember watching him clank jumpers in his one year in the Big East. I don't think that it speaks well for his decision making that he left college after one year to be a 2nd rounder and quickly out of the league, but at least he should be able to get the ball over half court. Hope he works out...

STOMP

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
I like the pick-up. A cheap, no-risk hope to maybe mine some latent talent. Chances are, he's not ever going to be an NBA player...but if he can develop a shot and his passing is as special as claimed, who knows?

The fact that he's only 22 is the reason this is even worth a shot. If he were 26 like Mateen Cleaves, there would be no point at all.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Omar Cook = Erick Barkley with a worse attitude.

Neither of the St. Johns' grads could shoot or defend very well, but because of the weak competition in the Big East, they could often take advantage of just being quicker than opposing PGs.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Public Defender</b>!
Omar Cook = Erick Barkley with a worse attitude.

Neither of the St. Johns' grads could shoot or defend very well, but because of the weak competition in the Big East, they could often take advantage of just being quicker than opposing PGs.
Erick Barkley was 22 when he was drafted.

Omar Cook turned 22 last week.

Why does this matter? Because it's easier to dominate college competition at age 21 (like Barkley did) than at 19, like Cook did.

Another way of looking at it: if Portland thought Barkley, at age 21, was worth a first round pick, then I think getting a similar player at age 21 as a free agent is a pretty good bargain.

I'm not sure that they're REALLY that similar of players, though. Barkley always struck me as a shoot-first guy with PG size and some PG skills. Cook is a PG who can't shoot.

I don't know that's better, necessarily, but it's different.

Ed O.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Originally posted by <b>duckman1734</b>!

Yeah or they just want to see if he is the guy they want cuz they have time before dedline after the 10 days to sign someone else. Maybe Mateen Cleaves or Erick Barkley(who just scored 30 in his last game.
That is what i sayed but everybody thought Barkely was a bad fit for our team because he was getting in trouble when we drafted him.....

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
He could end up turning out to be more of a Jamaal Tinsley than an Erick Barkley. Please, I doubt many of us have seen the guy play and we're going into this whole thing too much about how he played at the same school as Barkley did. We don't know enough to really get a grasp on him yet, let him play some games first.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Well, I don't know much about his basketball skills at this point, but I do know the answer to this one:

It's a simple matter of economics. If they signed him for the rest of the year, it's fully guaranteed. So even if they cut him in a week or two, they'd have to pay him through the end of the season. By signing him to a 10 day contract, they save money IF they decide not to keep him or if they do make a 1 for 2 trade.

This way, they can sign him to a 10 day contract and another 10 day contract before committing to pay him for the rest of the year. A nice "trial" period for Cook to try and prove himself. Or they have flexibility to not extend him any further.

It just keeps more options open this way.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The rule was 12 players not that we had to keep him with us for the rest of the season....there still could be a trade and maybe we will still need Omar and/or he becomes hurt..;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Didn't erick barkley and omar cook get into a fight during summer league a couple years ago? I thought then that both these guys were bad apples.

On a side note, I'm extremely happy we didn't get barkley back, and hopefully cook will win us all over with sweet post entry passes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.