Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK,

As promised, I'm going to share some of my pictures from last night's game. It was a LOT of fun! I was extremely happy that security let my buddy and I go down and chat with the crew, while also letting me take a bunch of pictures. I must admit, I'm in a fair amount of these pics. Please don't think I'm vain, or anything like that. I treated this game as if it were my little Blazer Bash. I was determined go get in as many shots with the fellas that I could!

You'll notice a picture of my buddy Randy (Georgia Dude) with Mo Cheeks. This, I'm sure, will be a shot that he will frame and put in his cube. Mo Cheeks is his hero from his playing days. Anyway, as I mentioned, we had a great time and were treated like special folks. it meant a lot to both of us!

As well, I was able to "interview" a few of the folks - namely, Mike Rice and Jason Quick. Here is a synopsis of our little chats:

Mike Rice: I asked Mike specifically about the Blazers/GS trade rumors. Mike told me that, while anything could happen, he feels that the Blazers would instead just go out and find someone for a 10-day contract. We both agreed that that player needs to be a PG (which was further evidenced by Woods' extremely poor play at that position during the game. In fact, I began to feel sorry for Q while he was getting totally abused by none other than Vaughn and others that draped over, disrupted, and stole the ball from, him on countless occasions.) Mike also seems to think that the Blazers have settled down and will continue to play much better basketball moving forth. He has a good feeling about these guys.

Jason Quick: Geez, where do I begin? Quick is probably one of the most candid media-type folk that I've ever encountered. I can't even post half the stuff he trotted out to me while we were chatting - which turned out to be about 15 minutes, or so.

On the Blazers/GS rumors: Quick didn't have much comment on it, but, I'd have to say one of most interesting aspects of that discussion was when I mentioned to him that this rumor has been discussed extensively on our board. In fact, I went as far to mention to him what Minstrel's opinion that this would be a "win now" move - that, since the trade wouldn't put the Blazers over the top (championship-calibur), then why do it, especially in light of the contracts. Quick thought this was a very astute observation and, when he thought about it, made absolute great sense! Hehe. Way to go, Min!

On this year's team: Totally been distracted by the extracurricular trade rumors, etc. Thinks that the Blazers will now settle down and get some wins. Darius Miles has been huge acquisition - more in terms of energy and team unity. He said that McInnis was a little b**ch - always sniping about something. He said he really liked Jeff, but that McInnis just wouldn't let things go....many, many times over.

On Dale Davis' fine: I asked him three questions: 1) If Dale had really wanted to get to the Minny game, could he have? "Yes." (2) Was the fine too stiff? "Yes." (3) Will the Blazers reduce it? "Perhaps."

On his seeming love for Damon: He chuckled at this one. Said that everybody seems to think that. However, he retorted that Damon probably gives him more crap than anyone on the team! I rided him a little more on that and quipped that Damon probably was the only one that actually responded to him. He laughed and said, yeah probably right. When we showed up, Quick was doing a pretty lengthy interview with Darius, so be expecting something on that soon.

Other than that, I just roamed around trying to get a few shots here and there. Heh, when I was talking to Rice, he goes, "D'oh! I was supposed to have a security pass for you, but left it in the bus!" Oh, well, woulda been nice. I could have gotten closer to the players for better shots, but, that's cool. I appreciated the fact that he remembered he'd forgotten!

I got to chat with Snapper and Wheels a bit. They were busy at the time, but took the time to say a few words and get a picture with me. I appreciated that........

Damon strolled over to the media bench. I go, "Hey Damon, how 'bout a pic?!" He just looks at me, then looks away. Wheels goes, "C'mon, Damon! Give the guy a picture!" So, Damon kinda looks over rat me and I take the shot. Funny thing while we were standing there, though. Damon was rooting through some Hawks baseball hats that were in a box there. He goes, "Some freebies, huh?" and helps himself to about 4 or 5 of them. One the Hawks announcers that was sitting there goes, "Why do you need so many of them?", and Damon replied, "Oh, so I can give them to Sheed and some others." To which the Hawks announcer quipped, "Sheed doesn't need on. He'll be here in a week, anyway!" We ALL got a good laugh out of that one - even Damon!!

After the game, I rolled back down to courtside to try and get a few more pictures. I head someone say, "ABM!". I turned and saw these 3 guys (pictures will be posted) looking at me. I'm saying to myself, "who are you?", and trying to make a connection. They said that they were with the crew had given me a tour of the TV truck last year - also, that they remembered me from seeing my avatar picture on the board. Shoot, that was way cool!

Being redundant, but a great, great evening, topped with a nice come-from-behind win. Gotta love it - even if it was against the Hawks! Wins here don't come too frequently, although we've won 2 in a row in Atlanta now -- Whoo Hoo!

Anyway, I'll be posting some of my pictures as the day goes by.......

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Great recap ABM! :rock:

I need to start rubbing some elbows with some of them here in the LA area to get some of those perks.. :grinning:

Scout

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Here's shot #1.

Kinda funny that Quick decided to do what he did. No explanation necessary! LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Way to go ABM! :headbang:

Sounds like you had a awesome Blazer Bash in Atlanta! Missed you here in Portland but there is always next season. Sounds like you are famous now, groupies and all!!!!! :D

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to mention in my initial remarks that George Wasch was there....(the Blazers TV broadcasting crew travels with the team, and gets a "night off" when the games aren't televised. I guess it's cheaper to just let them travel back with the team, rather than, say, they take commercial flights back after the Memphis telecast.)

As you're most likely aware, George has been directing Blazers Broadcasting since the very beginning (KPTV) - when I was kid. In fact, George also was a TV director for the old Portland Wrestling broadcasts.

Anywho, he is about one of the most gracious and humble men that I've met. Every time I see him, he always take the time to chat and to see how things are going, etc. Apparently, this will be his last year with the Blazers. He said that he wants to spend more time with his wife - while they await their first grandchild, whenever that may be!

I will certainly miss him when he leaves.....

Attachments

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so I had a shot taken with Jason Quick.

So, shoot me! :laugh:

Attachments

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speaking of my "groupies", :D.......

.....here are some of the TV broadcasting dudes......

Left to Right - Jeff, Olaf and Scott

Attachments

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's Damon's "posed" shot that he was kind enough to let me take.....

Attachments

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by <b>Loyalty4Life</b>!
Any pictures of the Snapper?
Of Course!

The obligatory Snapper shot.....

(sorry his head was partially cut off...)

Attachments

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got more than one picture of Z-Bo's post-game interview.

Here's a closeup.......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts