Mehmet Okur

2002 Taken Roger Mason and Lonny Baxter

Carlos Boozer
Ronald Murray

Just makes you think that scouts have to pay attention to the 2nd round

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
In all fairness Arenas was taken before Hassell and a couple of those guys were drafted before the guys the Bulls drafted. And Baxter may become just as valuable as Boozer. So...I don't buy that for a minute. Although Michael Redd would be nice right now. How a 6'6'' shooter slipped to the second round I'll never know.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hassell was taken one pick before Arenas. Just an FYI.

My biggest beef is with the 2000 draft, when we had 3 2nd round picks. I was surprised that Krause took two PGs in El-Amin and Guyton. So he wound up taking 3 PGs that made the roster in Crawford, El-Amin and Guyton. Sheesh. There were plenty of people screaming for Redd that year.

2002 was another flop with Boozer. We wound up with Baxter (picked later) which wasn't bad. But Boozer is a quality 4 for the next decade. Mason jr. at pick #31 was a joke. Not with Arch, Yarborough, Gadzuric, Boozer, Vujanic, and D.Anderson picked right after (picks #32 - 37)

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://nbadraft.net/history.asp

take a look Trenton was taken b4 Arenas...the Bulls had a shot at all of the players I listed if they used their 2nd round pick. They could have gotten at least 1 of the players listed each year and in some of the cases more.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
D. Anderson? who's that?

Redd slipped because in college he WASN'T a shooter. He made himself into one after the draft. Of course, if anyone had any inkling that he could improve so much through self-motivation, he should been a lottery pick.

and yeah, taking KEA AND Guyton was just lunacy. Guyton I liked. Khalid...ack.

blown 2nd round picks is kind of an unfair title. 25 teams usually "blow" their 2nd round pick each year. It sure would be nice to have snagged one or two of those steals though. :sigh:

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>ViciousFlogging</b>!
D. Anderson? who's that?

Redd slipped because in college he WASN'T a shooter. He made himself into one after the draft. Of course, if anyone had any inkling that he could improve so much through self-motivation, he should been a lottery pick.

blown 2nd round picks is kind of an unfair title. 25 teams usually "blow" their 2nd round pick each year. It sure would be nice to have snagged one or two of those steals though. :sigh:
yes that was the point I was getting at. Teams have to do their scouting on 2nd rounders. Look at Ronald Dupree, he is playing great and he went undrafted, same with the #2 and #3 best center in the league Brad Miller, and Ben Wallace both went undrafted.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ViciousFlogging</b>!
D. Anderson? who's that?

Whoops I got that Anderson confused w/ Chris Anderson from the Nuggets. My bad.

Yeah it stinks because Krause made it a point to stock up on 2nd round picks, something he's done the past 5 seasons. If there was a trade to be had, it would almost always net us a 2nd round pick. Unfortunately for us, we didn't really get much talent. And those decent ones we did acquire are no longer here (Baxter, Hassell, Voskuhl)

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Voshkul didnt play very good for the Bulls at all but has turned up nice overall for his career.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
I coulda sworn Arenas was taken before Hassell but alas one of my few mistakes. I'm not too concerned, but it is frustrating when you know you just wasted a pick i.e. Tommy Smith and Matt Bonner. I would've liked to keep Baxter as he was valuable off the bench.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I know it's a 2nd round thread but ay 1998 we had 28th pick(we used to be a good team once upon a time)and we took Corey Benjamin,while at the beginning of 2nd(32) Sonics took Rashard.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>T.Shock</b>!
I coulda sworn Arenas was taken before Hassell but alas one of my few mistakes. I'm not too concerned, but it is frustrating when you know you just wasted a pick i.e. Tommy Smith and Matt Bonner. I would've liked to keep Baxter as he was valuable off the bench.
Tommi Smith was one of my "steals of the draft". He will play for the Bulls at some point in time and I think he will impress. Mario Austin was also a solid pick.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Eh, 2nd round picks usually find themselves there for a reason. The draft is far from a sure thing even when in the lottery. With all the scouting going on, it's hard to fault a team for missing on a diamond in the rough during the second round. Take Arenas for example. Every team passed on him with maybe the exception of Minnesota. I think he's definitely proved that he was deserving of a lottery pick, don't you? Point is, 2nd rounders usually have something working against them, whether that be small program, questionable talent, questionable ethic, questionable competition, etc. For every stud found in the 2nd round, you can easily find 30 scrubs in the second round. In fact, I think you can find more first round busts than studs in the 2nd round.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It's hard to find good players in the 2nd round. Going over guys we missed in the 2nd round is pointless. Every other team probably passed on them as well. 2nd round picks who contribute are a bonus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts