Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to show he's valuable to ESPN.com more than 3 months out of the year, Joe Lunardi has released his 1st *2006* Bracketology report, projecting the entire field. He has the America East champion pegged as a 15-seed right now, playing Michigan State. The only problem?

He picked NORTHEASTERN to win the AE!

Oops! There could be some surprises in the AE next year, but I'm willing to bet that Northeastern winning the conference will *not* be one of them!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

·
Premium Member
33,465 Posts
That's funny, I made the same mistake in a post a while back. Forgot Northeastern was leaving.

I've always thought I would fit right in at ESPN.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
And if we were to win the AE, we wouldn't be a 15 seed, that's for sure!

FYI, he now has BU picked as the AE rep at #15.

For those who care, ODU of the CAA is a #9 seed. ;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
No one cares about ODU. From a basketball standpoint northeastern is leaving their tale between their legs after not being able to compete with the leagues best, culminating in their blowout loss at the hands of vermont. Sorry guys, I know Northeastern was very competative but I am dreading in a year or so NU fans starting to say something like "we were too good for the America East." Well, go back and look at your record over the past 4 years versus the league champions each year, its not too good. And don't forget getting spanked in your only championship game of the past 4 years either...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wouldnt say we were too good for the AE, but I would definitly say we outgrew the AE (as a whole, not just bball). I just look at is as a promotion/oppertunity

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
black0ut said:
I wouldnt say we were too good for the AE, but I would definitly say we outgrew the AE (as a whole, not just bball). I just look at is as a promotion/oppertunity
Although I will miss NU, for the most part I don't begrudge them leaving. That said, this statement is a bit ridiculous. Take a look at my sig. for some initial evidence. Shouldn't a school that has outgrown a conference be on top?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I don't think you have to be on top of a conference to "outgrow" it. That being said, I don't think NU "outgrew" the AE, however.

As I've said before, NU decided to leave the AE to control its own destiny in all sports and to associate itself with schools it feels will be its academic and athletic peers in the next 10-15 years, and will better reflect the composition of its student body and alumni base during that period. It's a proactive move that is uncharacteristic of the "conservative" Northeastern where I was educated.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
I don't think you have to be on top of a conference to "outgrow" it. That being said, I don't think NU "outgrew" the AE, however.

As I've said before, NU decided to leave the AE to control its own destiny in all sports and to associate itself with schools it feels will be its academic and athletic peers in the next 10-15 years, and will better reflect the composition of its student body and alumni base during that period. It's a proactive move that is uncharacteristic of the "conservative" Northeastern where I was educated.
That is the best synopsis of the move I've seen yet. NU is changing so much, it's nice to see an institution make moves for the future.

As I've said before, I for one will miss playing NU twice a year, but I hope the games will continue (it seems they will).

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
icemchine9 said:
Hartford all the way!

:banana:

...really, i just like the banana
Must remain respectful, must not break rules... :rofl:

Seriously, though, I'm sure his pick will vasilate after he reads some other review of the conference by someone who actually pays attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love BU to get there...

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
No disrepect to hartford, but it was a joke. I think I pay as much or more attention to this league than most of the posters here. On a more serious note I do see Albany being one of the favorites. I will never rule out B.U. just because they always seem to churn out good teams and they recruit a little better than anyone else in the conference. I think next year is the most wide-open race the league has seen in quite some time though.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
icemchine9 said:
No disrepect to hartford, but it was a joke. I think I pay as much or more attention to this league than most of the posters here. On a more serious note I do see Albany being one of the favorites. I will never rule out B.U. just because they always seem to churn out good teams and they recruit a little better than anyone else in the conference. I think next year is the most wide-open race the league has seen in quite some time though.
ice, I think you misunderstood.

seth said:
Must remain respectful, must not break rules...
was a note to myself, referring to not saying something dirty in regards to
icemchine9 said:
...really, i just like the banana
I was just being silly. :biggrin:

·
Registered
341 Posts
again, i didnt mean BASEKTBALL outgrew the AE, I mean our sports in general. Field hockey, for one, was being held back big time at NU. I (believe) BU was our only real competition there. Same with volleyball. The CAA helps our baseball play better schools, etc.

In other words, my comments weren't saying "NU basketball outgrew the AE"... sorry for the clarity,

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Black0ut,

NU has outgrown the AE in Volleyball? You've got to be kidding me!!

According to the history on the AE website, NU has won the tournament title ONCE, in 2001!!! They've lost in the tournament final TWICE, in 2003 and 1991!! They have two second place regular season finishes but lost in the tournament semi-finals both times.

UNH has won the tournament THREE times, 2003, 2002 and 1998 and lost in the finals THREE times in 2000, 1999 and 1997 (all to Hofstra). UNH had a down year in 2004, but it was Albany not NU that moved to top. I think NU has plenty of competition available in AE Volleyball.

NUHF has given the reasons for NU moving to the CAA. You're welcome to your opinions just like I am. Personally, I think your outgrowing argument is total rubbish.

·
Registered
341 Posts
yikes, you guys take this that seriously huh?

regarding volleyball, I cvame to school in 2000, so... in the time i was there, they were pretty good, werent they?

either way, like i said, its a step up, why would we hold back? If we were staying in the AE I dont think the interest in sports (which isnt great anyways) at NU would be where it is. The CAA has people optimistic and thus coming to games, recruits coming in, etc. I guess I define outgrowing different from you guys, which is ok. I obviously dont think it carries as much meaning as you guys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts