Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing another forum and this question really made me think. A very fine player in his own right yet not ever mentioned as a top 15-20 player by many fans/historians.

Well then, where do you place Pettit in your all-time list?

Bob Pettit

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Probably never hear anything because the vast majority of people here weren't alive when he played, and trying to get tapes from that era is near impossible (if not completely impossible).

I can't answer though. I've only heard of the guy and read a couple of bios.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
He's probably in the top 15-30 players of all-time. He was one of the greatest power forwards of all-time.

The only question is quality competition faced. But his numbers and honours are certainly tremendous.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
It's really tough to go back that far when comparing players. Most people that watch basketball today probably have never seen him play, so it's very tough to say exactly. Same reason why a lot of people would have no clue where to put a George Mikan or Dolph Schayes either.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Ouch.

In the 1954 draft, the Bullets passed up on Pettit for a guy named Frank Selvy. Not a bad player, 2 all-stars, an up and down career all together, but he was no Pettit. This probably isn't bigger than Perkins over Jordan, but a nice sized draft "oops" (considering Pettit was 6'9").

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pan Mengtu</b>!
Ouch.

In the 1954 draft, the Bullets passed up on Pettit for a guy named Frank Selvy. Not a bad player, 2 all-stars, an up and down career all together, but he was no Pettit. This probably isn't bigger than Perkins over Jordan, but a nice sized draft "oops" (considering Pettit was 6'9").
That's because Frank Selvy was a scoring machine out of Furman University (or FU :p )

I would wager at the time, it wasn't thought of as a bad decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pettit has a very impressive resume.

- Career averages of 26.4 pts, 16.2 reb, 3.0 ast
- Elected to All-NBA First Team his first 10 years in the league, and an all-star all 11
- Two time League MVP (and the league's first MVP)
- Led the Hawks to a title 57/58 over Boston with 50 points in the deciding game (Boston won the previous year, and would win the next 8 straight)

Petit falls into the same trap that all the older players fall into (Dolph Schayes, George Mikan, Neil Johnston, Paul Arizin, Bob Cousy, etc) in that no one seems to feel comfortable ranking them because of the massive era difference. Also, very few people saw them play. The line for entry into "Greatest of All- Time lists" seems to start as Oscar, Bill, Wilt, West, and Elgin and often ignores these older guys.

Putting aside any questions of "Yeah, but how would he do in today's game?" and judging him based on what he did, you'd be hard pressed to name 20 more accomplished players than Bob Petit.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dulli</b>!
Pettit has a very impressive resume.

- Career averages of 26.4 pts, 16.2 reb, 3.0 ast
- Elected to All-NBA First Team his first 10 years in the league, and an all-star all 11
- Two time League MVP (and the league's first MVP)
- Led the Hawks to a title 57/58 over Boston with 50 points in the deciding game (Boston won the previous year, and would win the next 8 straight)

Petit falls into the same trap that all the older players fall into (Dolph Schayes, George Mikan, Neil Johnston, Paul Arizin, Bob Cousy, etc) in that no one seems to feel comfortable ranking them because of the massive era difference. Also, very few people saw them play. The line for entry into "Greatest of All- Time lists" seems to start as Oscar, Bill, Wilt, West, and Elgin and often ignores these older guys.

Putting aside any questions of "Yeah, but how would he do in today's game?" and judging him based on what he did, you'd be hard pressed to name 20 more accomplished players than Bob Petit.
I agree completely.

Pettit's accolades make him an easy All-Time Top 20, at least...

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pan Mengtu</b>!
Ouch.

Bowie over Jordan. Bowie over Jordan.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
i really think he along with karl malone r the 2 best power forwards to ever play the game, both should be in the top 20 for all time, but i understand wut u mean with the era difference, its hard to tell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts