Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
i think this lasted longer than a lot of people, including myself, thought it ever would.

I am glad my Bears play them on Tuesday, this might be a bit of a diostraction...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I will help you out. That self control thing that Bobby always preaches to his players. Well he aint got any of it himself. That man is an idiot...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Cycloneandy</b>!
I will help you out. That self control thing that Bobby always preaches to his players. Well he aint got any of it himself. That man is an idiot...
Agree with all except the last sentence. He's very "bright" on some level, and obviously can coach. But he's the extremely ugly combination of bully and spoiled child. Amazes me that a) any program would think he's worth it at this point, and b) that any parent would allow their son to play for this guy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Coach Knight and the new Chancellor have had some issues in the past...Coach Knight began a foundation to raise money for the bball program...endowing scholarships and such. The Chancellor has believed he should control the funds Coach raises for in this foundation since it's related to TT...Coach feels otherwise.

What this most likely boils down to IMO is this....Coach Knight is financially set...if he never coach's another game his financial house is in order and he doesn't need to work for a living. He coach's because he loves doing it and he's good at it. He's donated and brought in alot of new money for the benefit of TT, he's used his connections to help get guest speakers to talk to the various schools at TT (for ex. the law school just got a visit from Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas as a request from Coach Knight). Anyone is this financial position would be hard pressed to submit to the authority of someone else.

Imagine you liked your job, but you win the lotto or become a multi-millionaire suddenly...most people wouldn't care that they liked their job, they'd quit or maybe open their own business in the field they loved. But if you did decide to keep your job, you find yourself less likely to hold your tongue when you see things aren't done right...since you don't really need the job anyway, and you probably wouldn't feel much of a need to kiss some administrator's behind just because he had a title. Those authority figures can easily chafe at someone supposedly under their chain of command not acquiesing to their demands...causing hard feelings that way too.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Please. They finally got rid him at IU, despite him being a complete ICON in that state, because they decided they were not going to put up with this crap anymore. Knowing they'd literally get death threats for doing so. At the slightest (or for that matter, no) provocation, he will unleash out-of-control, profanity laden tirades at students, faculty, media, parents, adminstrators, whoever is in front of him. This is a, what, forty year history of this behavoir now. You can't really explain it away as just being due to the circumstances right now at TT. His stock-in-trade has always been bullying, intimidation, humiliation. Always has been, always will be.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Coach Knight is the biggest hypocrite in the business. If a player did anything remotely close to what he did to his boss, he woudl have kicke him out of the state of Texas, adn screamed at the Press blaiming them and parents for not teaching kids right..

I am glad that Tech did nothing to stop him from embarassing them anymore. Maybe they should jsut change their name Bobby Knight University, or did they sell that naming right to Bill's Hemroid cream...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BaylorTMW</b>!
Maybe they should jsut change their name Bobby Knight University, or did they sell that naming right to Bill's Hemroid cream...
:laugh:

I dunno. Maybe Ron Artest or the ghost of Woody Hayes could come in and teach Bob some anger management. No... I mean how to be even angrier . So that he'd climb into the stands and kill somebody. And then Jay Bilas could go on PTI and say "It's no big deal, just Bob being Bob. And he's really turned that program around." [insert puke smilie ]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Au Contraire BaylorTMW - Mike Lewis ripped into Coach Knight during a timeout of a game when he played at Indiana (against Michigan I believe), yelling and pointing and restrained by his teammates. Lewis was back into the game within 2 minutes....and now attends TTU and does color commentary for the TT games.

Seems your perception of what Coach Knight "would" do is not in line with Coach Knight DID do. But don't feel bad...your perception of Coach Knight has been written and produced for you by a press that Coach Knight treats like dirt...and they return the favor by treating him like dirt. They have a solid history of either distorting the facts or report facts without context.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I dont know anything about Michael Lewis, and will take your word for it.

My point is that he demands his players show respect to him, their teachers, and all of their superiors and elders while Knight cant even not yell at his boss...

And your point about the media. Yes they pick on Knight, and yes he picks on them, but the Media really didnt have anything to do with this. The only thing they might have messed up on was reporting Knight had a 5 day suspension (which was leaked by one of Knights sons).

Bottom Line:

Knight yelled at his boss, for a remark that he understood as petty (even the AD didnt see it coming). He yelled at HIS boss, and they dont do anything about it...

·
Registered
188 Posts
LOL...the first "reports" I read were that Coach Knight threw a salad, grabbed the Chancellor by the necktie, and cursed at the Chancellor during the disagreement. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive...but none of those things occurred. I'm also pretty sure that it seemed the "news" indicated Coach Knight had "gone off" because the Chancellor congratulated him on good behaviour this year...now we know that was not the case too. In short...the media presented a situation where Coach Knight began this "incident" and was fully responsible for it.

We know that Coach was approached by the Chancellor and after recieving an unexpected response to his "compliment" that Coach had been unexpectantly well-behaved this year, instigated the arguement on to the point it seems Coach felt like the Chancellor was calling him a liar. We do not know what the "issue" was the two men had...but we do know that the Chancellor initiated the discussion regarding the issue. We know that once others within TT community heard the facts of the story, there was no suspension and no signing of any behaviour letter.

Now, the media says TT's community "caved" to the bullying of Coach Knight etc...It seems to never cross their minds that he may NOT be wholly at fault and too blame for the incident. It never crosses their mind that perhaps most folks would become upset when called a liar, especially if they really feel they are telling the truth.

Basically, alot of the people in the media presume Coach to be the wrong party no matter the facts, and this provides for a biased viewpoint that then gets transmitted to folks who don't know the other side to most of the tales regarding Coach's past "incidents." I guess that's my real beef, they never say, "Lets wait until all the facts are in" when reporting anything that happens with Coach Knight...he is presented as the one in the wrong...and even when the facts surrounding the incident become known...he's still the wrong party in their eyes, no matter how far off their first reports were, no matter who is the aggressor and who is the defensive one. It just aggravates me that most of the list of past indiscretions they roll out habitually whenever they can have another side to them that most folks don't know. Alot (not all) of the things on that list are inaccuately reported, (as Dean Smith just said on CNN recently), or have a side that provides sense as to what happened.

A big part of his "reputation" is not justified....yes, he is terrible to the press...most of his cursing tirades have been directed at them and they have not appreciated this and responded by creating this false perception. They are not innocent, but bitter and deceptive in their reporting supposed "news" storys. I'd speculate, that Coach Knight takes more abuse than most coach's when going into an opponent's gym...yet he takes it and keeps going. He rarely gets technicals in games and more than one TT fan I know has been surprised that he's not a raving lunatic on the sidelines...but pretty much sits on the bench and instructs the players...with an occassional comment to the officials...not at all the behaviour they percieved him to exhibit when he was the coach at iu. Perception doesn't necessarily equal reality...just keep that in mind.

A good read

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ummm, just becuase the Press put something out from sources that happened to be wrong, doesnt make them at fualt.

Fact:

Bobby Knight yelled at his boss for a remark that a reasonable person would have accepted as a compliment. And Tech let him get away with it....

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Originally posted by <b>11pm</b>!
Au Contraire BaylorTMW - Mike Lewis ripped into Coach Knight during a timeout of a game when he played at Indiana (against Michigan I believe), yelling and pointing and restrained by his teammates. Lewis was back into the game within 2 minutes....and now attends TTU and does color commentary for the TT games.

Seems your perception of what Coach Knight "would" do is not in line with Coach Knight DID do. But don't feel bad...your perception of Coach Knight has been written and produced for you by a press that Coach Knight treats like dirt...and they return the favor by treating him like dirt. They have a solid history of either distorting the facts or report facts without context.
Any ex Knight player speaks highly of Knight. I have tried to explain Knight before on here but no one cares. I give up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
BaylorTMW - your fact in WRONG!!!!

Coach Knight did NOT yell at Chancellor Smith for complimenting him. DID NOT!!! See...what you are repesenting as a fact is false. Coach Knight did argue, even yell, but not for a compliment...what they argued or yelled about was another issue entirely. You might feel that for him to argue or yell for any reason is unsuitable...but the false fact you represent only perpetuates the false perception that is not reality. Your misrepresentation only confirms my thesis that the media produces a perception for people that is not true.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did the chancellor give Knight a compliment. Yes

Did KNight then yell at the Chancellor. Yes

We both have our opinions on this subject, and we both seem pretty stuck on them.

Call it a draw???

:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
draw is fine LOL

Not trying to "convert" you to someone that respects Coach Knight, but I do feel compelled to set the record straight whenever I see misrepresented facts, untrue statements, or stories with facts but without the context in which the facts occurred. I know most of the time people just recite whatever the press has fed them...and most people already have a pretty good idea on if they like Coach Knight.

I have no problem with folks who disagree with Coach or his tactics....I certainly don't think that his use of the English language in public has been something I would want my kids around (lockerroom talk should stay in the lockerroom). But many, many people don't like coach based upon what they think his tactics or his behavior is when in truth...what they think is very, very wrong.

·
Registered
211 Posts
PLease dont get me wrong. i respect Bobby Knight as a coach and an administrator. He gets things out of kids that no one else can. He is a ture coach that gets his kisd in class and they graduate. more imporantly than that though, they are good citizens and good contributors to society.

That has more of an impact than 10 Big 10 titles, or how many he has.

I respect the heck out of him, i just dont like him as a person, but i dont have to...

He has problems that he needs to deal with. A man cant be that angry all the time, and this much "controversy" cant happen in one life without someone having a problem...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts