Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobby Portis is really playing well lately and should be a candidate for more consistent minutes.

Against the Knicks he played almost 30 minutes, with 10 boards and 16 points. He brings a lot of the energy the Bulls seemed to have been lacking lately.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
The Bulls are really going to have to make moves to accommodate Portis. I can't believe they found him, Mirotic, and Gibson in the mid-to-late first round. They were already too deep with bigs before they drafted Portis. I was kind of hoping the Pacers would grab him at 10 because I love his game, but Turner definitely has a higher upside.

I would assume either Mirotic or Gibson is the odd man out. Portis brings pretty much everything Gibson does (high energy, rebounding, some post game) minus the explosiveness, but plus more range. It's a good problem to have, though. All these guys could start on most teams.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
We saw this coming months ago that Bobby would be rotation worthy as 4th big at a minimum. It was pretty obvious in summer league that his skill level & playing style would translate immediately. Honestly I think we would've pushed harder for a trade in the summer if not for Taj & Noah being damaged goods at the time. Noah's recent shoulder injury pushes this back yet again, but ultimately I think we'll need to trade one of these bigs by the deadline. If only Andre Iguodala or Nicolas Batum were on the market, they'd be perfect...someone who can fill the starting SF spot while providing high quality D and some ability to run the offense as a quasi-PG when Rose sucks. Too bad those guys are few and far between, and there is no way GS or Charlotte are trading either of those guys.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The organization has stocked the roster with Gasol and Noah replacements in Mirotic and Portis for when the revolving door once again revolves.

Good to see Portis stands a solid chance of being a productive NBA player.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Why did it take so long for him to get minutes? Crazy Eyes was ready since the beginning of the season. Stevie Wonder could've seen that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why did it take so long for him to get minutes?
Thibs doesn't play rookies heavy minutes. Its a real flaw that the Bulls Org is looking to do something about. So blind!

Or maybe it has to do with Gasol, Noah, Mirotic and Gibson being on the team.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Noah comes back.

Maybe they can start Mirotic at the 2, Portis at the 3, Gibson at the 4 and Gasol at the 5.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Why did it take so long for him to get minutes? Crazy Eyes was ready since the beginning of the season. Stevie Wonder could've seen that.
It's pretty simple, there were 4 more proven players sitting in front of him at PF and C. Noah's recent shoulder injury opened up 18-20 minutes a night for Portis.

The front office may have considered trading Gibson or Noah, even Gasol, in the off-season to make room for Portis, but Gibson had major ankle surgery and Noah's knee problems from last season were a red flag. I doubt either of those guys was very tradeable, at least not for anything more than table scraps.

This picture was starting to round out recently as Gibson looks 100% healthy and Noah has looked rejuvenated, leading me to believe another team may be interested in trading for 1 of them. Though it's tough now since Noah hurt his shoulder. This may be a blessing in disguise though b/c Portis is now becoming a proven commodity while Noah is sidelined. Noah should be back in 1 month and we could still move someone before the trade deadline.

It's going to be tough to swallow if we can't move 1 of these guys by the trade deadline, esp. considering the upgrades we could use with the guard/wing depth.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
People keep asking what the team is going to do when Noah returns. It seems like everyone forgets that Hoiberg moved Niko to the 3 before Noah got hurt in order to open up a rotation spot for Portis. I assume that's how it'll continue.

Ultimately, it still makes sense to move a big at the deadline of Portis is keeping this up. Awesome as he's been playing, I do worry about the rookie wall and whether he can sustain this type of effectiveness into the playoffs, though if you have 3 other quality bigs, you should be able to adjust your rotations around any regression he has for the most part.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The recent play of Portis sure makes it easier to accept a trade of one of the Bulls "bigs" for a good wing man. At this point, I could see any of the "big 3" going; Noah, Gasol or Gibson. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

If someone convinced the Bulls to trade Gasol to them, would the new team have "bird" rights to Gasol? If so, I could see one of the contending teams try to swing a deal for him.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
The recent play of Portis sure makes it easier to accept a trade of one of the Bulls "bigs" for a good wing man. At this point, I could see any of the "big 3" going; Noah, Gasol or Gibson. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

If someone convinced the Bulls to trade Gasol to them, would the new team have "bird" rights to Gasol? If so, I could see one of the contending teams try to swing a deal for him.
I'm not sure you can trade Gasol now with the team's turnaround, unless they revert back to imploding again as the trade deadline approaches (making win later moves). Gasol is clearly central to everything Hoiberg is implementing offensively, and the whole system will break without him. Jimmy Butler's chemistry with Gasol is off the charts right now. If the team is set on making a playoff run, Gasol can't go anywhere.

I think the big man trade candidate is between Noah, Gibson, and Mirotic. Noah is an easy target b/c the team is doing well without him in the lineup, he is getting past his prime, and a free agent this summer. Noah would honestly be my preferred guy to trade for these reasons. But I'm not sure how much trade value he has, and we shouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him. Gibson has really shown his value lately and fits so well with Gasol, I'm not so sure we can trade him. Mirotic may have the best value and has been inconsistent for us, so I'd have to seriously consider trading him for a starting caliber SF. Mirotic + draft pick for ??? may get us someone good. Khris Middleton would be perfect though Bucks wouldn't trade him. Who else is similar to him?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts