Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EITHER/OR: Would signing Williams be coup or coup de grace?

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/S...stArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031773575427&path=!sports&s=1037645509200

CHARLOTTE - The Chicago Bulls reached a settlement with Jay Williams last week, buying out the remainder of his contract for about $3 million.

If you're the Charlotte Bobcats, do you roll the dice and try to sign Williams while he's available and no one else is interested?

The article gives two sides to the arguement. Do they? Or do they pass on Jay?

·
Registered
600 Posts
It must have been a slow news week in NC.

What I found confusing, was the writers opinion that the Bobcats would have little future risk contractually because of the assumption that all NBA contracts are underwritten via insurance policies. Excuse me, but what insurance company would write such a policy based on confidence of physical ability to perform? It would seem very likely that the premium cost would outweigh the face value.

Regarding Jay, I thought there was an agreement contained in the contract buyout, that allowed the Bulls to have first opportunity for his services, if he ever does return. IMO we have treated Jay extremely generously considering the circustances of his contact violation. The Bulls took the high road in this situation (do not forget the massive impact this had on the entire franchise), I am sure this treatment is not lost on Jay or his family, they will do the correct and honurable thing!

I hope I am right.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I doubt Charlotte signs Jay unless he fully recovers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.