Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Bosh-

Wade will be better, but a big man is still more valuable

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not picking either, I just want to see how two of the biggest homers (fanbase wise) on this board go at it.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
I am not picking either, I just want to see how two of the biggest homers (fanbase wise) on this board go at it.
Then there needs to be something at stake here... how about, whichever guy wins this poll is officially better than Carmelo forever?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!

Then there needs to be something at stake here... how about, whichever guy wins this poll is officially better than Carmelo forever?
That could work. I didn't have a problem with people voting Bosh better than Melo in the long run, but some of their reasons were fallacious, not to mention 66% of the people who voted feel Bosh will be better than Melo. C'mon now, give me a break.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I think Wade is going to be a fantastic player, but I take Bosh. IMO, and curse me if you want, Bosh could eventually nearly reach a Tim Duncan level.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I'd probably take Wade.

Normally you take the 6'11" PF over the 6'4" guard. But, Bosh doesn't seem to make a big impact. Wade on the other hand gets his team to the playoffs and makes huge plays. Although, Wade better learn how to shoot an open jumper. Or he won't be much when his athleticism goes.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Wait till you see Bosh in the playoffs, then make your decision. After all Wade didnt 'blow up' to the casual fan until the playoffs

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by <b>Hbwoy</b>!
Wait till you see Bosh in the playoffs, then make your decision. After all Wade didnt 'blow up' to the casual fan until the playoffs
I doubt any of the people on this site are casual fans.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Just like the Carmelo comparison, Wade is the safer pick, but I would gamble on Bosh's tremendous upside.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I think bosh will turn into a really good role player. I dont think he will ever be able to shoulder the load like Wade or Melo. He wont be able to put up their scoring numbers. Wade's numbers scoringwise wont increase next year, but Carmelo's will. I believe his FG% and 3pt % will rise as well.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
For the record, I voted for Melo in the last poll.

This poll was created to mock people, some of whom are my friends who are as genuinely enamoured by Bosh as I am and who might have picked Bosh more out of loyalty than level-headedness in the last time around... though I don't think there was an argument in existence that would've led to you admitting that a person had a valid reason for selecting Bosh in the last poll, HKF, because you are only willing to see things one way, as if the answer to the poll was 1+1=2.

It resembles the Kerry/Bush arguments that go on at the EBB board, where both sides are so rigidly planted in their convictions that they attack weak statements but let strong ones breeze through their ears without acknowledgement.

The Bosh-Anthony debate was as corrupted at the beginning because many people on this site (myself included) are put-off by Anthony's antics and selfishness. I'm not saying that he plays a me-first style of basketball, or that his attitude will lead to an unsuccessful career... but I can see how it is easier to have faith in someone who is humble and hardworking before someone who is childish and temperamental.

Not to mention the fact that the present doesn't necessarily reflect the future. What I mean by that is that although Melo had a great season, and his team benefited from that, it doesn't have to mean that he will have a great career or that he will continue to lead his team to future successes. Though he seemingly has more immediate potential than Bosh, there is no guarantee that either player will develop in an expected fashion.

In Bosh's case, his impact on the Raptors cannot be measured in identical terms to Anthony's impact on the Nuggets, anyhow. For one, there was no doubt as to Anthony's readiness for the NBA. He had demonstrated that he could handle the burden of being the go-to scorer on his team and that he could carry a team to success. Bosh, on the other hand, was anticipated by most if not all scouts to be a project that would require a few years of patience for him to bloom, as with most big men. He was a very talented and dominant player with Georgia Tech, but he didn’t lead his team to a national title, or even get close. With Bosh, talk was always more in the ‘prospect’ stratosphere than the ‘sure-thing’ category.

I think in a way Bosh actually did a disservice to himself by doing so well in that he has put on himself a great deal of pressure to produce in a bigger way next season, and has warranted comparisons to other players who were better prepared for the NBA or afforded less-challenging situations with their respective teams. It's inconsequential if they are the same age or if they're five years apart; NBA readiness isn't measured in days and swingmen and bigs evolve at their own paces.

Though I think Anthony was a safer pick in that poll, I understand why Bosh might be a more attractive pick and I don't condemn those that chose him for their short-sightedness or lambaste them for comparing him to other great players he emulates by his own admittance. Bosh has a tremendous amount of potential, and he plays a position that when maximized is conducive to winning.

Anyways... Wade is a terrific player and he is clearly destined to be a star in this league. I had doubts about him coming out of college because it was unclear what position he would be able to play. As it turns out, it's not such a big issue. He falls into that Baron Davis/Steve Francis role of being able to play both positions well and putting up big numbers in the process.

Clearly he isn't infallible. There are areas that require improvement, but I don't think they will be major issues. He seems to have a level of maturity and determination that will sustain him in the NBA. Issues such as three-point shooting, protecting the ball, and orchestrating an offence will be settled in time.

I will choose Bosh in this poll because I'm glad the Raptors selected him 4th in 2003 and I wouldn't change that if I could. I don’t doubt Wade’s ability. I know he will be good. But I think Bosh will be really, really good, and that has to count for something.

I watched every minute Bosh played this year and I was consistently amazed with what I saw [which is probably what the Wade fans say, too]. Bosh was somebody that most of us expected would take a while to contribute. Somebody who would need careful guidance and tasks in order to develop firstly into a reliable player, then into a good player.

I think what kept Bosh from falling to pieces this season, beyond his incredible natural ability and smartness, was his mentality. His competitive spirit and his maturity were never questioned, ever, throughout the season. Even when he was hurting, for example when he was busted-up on a hard screen by lumbering centre Jahadi White, he still managed to be productive and even explosive—not because he could jump higher or run faster, but because he could slow-down his game, play with patience and poise, and make adjustments that many veteran players find impossible. He had faults, like any young player, but as with Wade I don’t see them hindering his progression in the long-term.

There is still a lot to say about Bosh’s ability to play basketball, though. Ask Theo Ratliff and Boris Diaw what kind of hops this kid has. As Jamaal Magloire if Bosh can take it strong to the basket in traffic, no matter how “rail-thin” his 230 lbs. frame is accused of being. Ask Steve Francis if Bosh has three-point range on his shot, or if he can knock one down in the clutch. Ask Flip Murray what kind of foot-speed Bosh has, and if Bosh can chase-down a guard from mid-court and block his breakaway lay-up. Ask Antonio Davis what it’s like to be firmly rejected by his replacement. Ask Vince Carter what it’s like passing it to somebody in the post who doesn’t drop the ball or brick a lay-up. Ask Erving Johnson if Bosh has a face-up game, a back-to-the-basket game, a juke, a ball fake, a spin move, a fast first-step, and a blow-by —he saw them all in about three seconds (free speedythief avatar preview!). Can Chris catch a pass from mid-court on the run in mid-air and reverse slam it at full speed? Can Chris grab clutch rebounds and force overtime? Can Chris hit twelve, fifteen, eighteen, and twenty-foot jump-shots with mechanical regularity? Can Chris go from the free-throw line to the rack in one step in traffic? Can Chris ice a game with key free-throw shooting, despite hitting in the 70% range on average through the season?

There are and will continue to be a lot of good players in this league at every position, and you can compare them and contrast them until the keys wear-out on your keyboard. But you can keep most of them, because I’m willing to put faith in the Big Bosh Man.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
bosh because big men with potential are more valuable than tweeners with potential. maybe its cuz im from the toronto area, but ill take the 6'11 pf over the 6'4 sg.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts