Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Boston offered would you move Ben Gordon + cap filler(Davis,Pike) for Paul Pierce this summer? It would be a tough decision but one we would have to consider. We know Paxson has shown interest in Pierce before.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
This could only be considered depending on our frontcourt depth. We would have no big man under contract assuming a deal such as this is done.

We own the rights, but would have to resign Curry, Chandler, and Othella.

We then have the MLE to resign Duhon and another big man. Depending on the big man we sign could we then ask whether we could afford to do this deal. If we go after Oberto for example, Othella would be our only verteran frontcourt presence. Even though Curry and Chandler have shown improvement this season, they are both far from what you would call consistent players.

If we did do Gordon + AD for Pierce, Boston would have to send us someone back to make the salaries match:

Chicago
Gordon: $3,610,200
Davis: $13,900,000
Total: $17,510,200

Boston
Pierce: $13,843,157

X * 115% + $100,000 = $17,510,200

Boston would need to give back $15,139,304 in salary, so the filler would need to be at least ($15,139,304 - $13,843,157) $1,296,147.

Al Jefferson would be the only reasonable player to include (from a Bulls standpoint).

Gordon + AD
for
Pierce + Jefferson

I really don't see why Boston would want to do this, and this would be about the only deal I would do from a Bulls perspective.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They would not give us Jefferson too. I would be fine with a Tyson/Eddy/Oberto/Harrington frontcourt 4some. That is more than enough. I would make the deal.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Basghetti80 said:
They would not give us Jefferson too. I would be fine with a Tyson/Eddy/Oberto/Harrington frontcourt 4some. That is more than enough. I would make the deal.
I didn't say they would give us Jefferson. My point is we would need a big in return, and Jefferson is the only option Boston has to send back to make salaries work (unless they want to give us Blount, which is even more ridiculous than Jefferson). Perkins wouldn't work, because he makes too little, so they would have to throw one of their young guards back to us (which they won't do either). The only sensible deal that would include AD+Gordon for Pierce would be if they threw Jefferson back, which I said they most likely would not do anyways.

If you're ok with a Tyson/Eddy/Oberto/Harrington frontcourt, what happens if Eddy gets injured and misses 10 games?

Who is going to play Center? Tyson can't for 30+ mpg over a 10 game stretch, so you're left with Oberto, a rookie, to play a consistently good game for 18+mpg, and that doesn't factor in games Tyson gets eaten alive with fouls trying to guard a good post center.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Basghetti80 said:
If Boston offered would you move Ben Gordon + cap filler(Davis,Pike) for Paul Pierce this summer? It would be a tough decision but one we would have to consider. We know Paxson has shown interest in Pierce before.
I would do it without a doubt. But why would the Celtics make that deal? Thought they were interested in resigning Walker, and Payton is still there for another year. Doesn't sound like they're interested in giving up their best player.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This has gotten a little off topic. The point I was trying to make was if someone else was interested in Gordon as maybe a PG or something and offered a Pierce level player for Gordon would you do it?

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Basghetti80 said:
This has gotten a little off topic. The point I was trying to make was if someone else was interested in Gordon as maybe a PG or something and offered a Pierce level player for Gordon would you do it?
For a Pierce level player and a serviceable big man in return, I would.

With Boston specifically, I don't see it working using AD + Gordon as the principles of a trade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts