Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that was unexpected.

I know that at one point, they were on the list of teams the A-10 evaluated. I would imagine this would cross them off everyone's lists.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
One wonders what the CAA is poised to do about new members and if that possibly factored into BU's move.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Very surprised... Would have a good get for the CAA... Good market and good academic school...

At CAAZone, they are pushing for Stony Brook and Davidson..

Davidson said they are not interested and that they are the dominate school and basically said what is the benefit of going to another 1-bid conference (the CAA).

Stony Brook could be a decent get.. Not really a basketball power but a public school with money

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Very surprised... Would have a good get for the CAA... Good market and good academic school...

Davidson said they are not interested and that they are the dominate school and basically said what is the benefit of going to another 1-bid conference (the CAA).

Stony Brook could be a decent get.. Not really a basketball power but a public school with money
Not sure how much money the State University of New York system has.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
And stony brook has a huge amount of debt right now. Something like 1.6 billion I remember reading.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well, that was unexpected.

I know that at one point, they were on the list of teams the A-10 evaluated. I would imagine this would cross them off everyone's lists.
True, and the death of BU Sports. Fordham has made many mistakes and omissions in our athletic history but the single worst mistake was joining the Patriot League. While fball improved, virtually every other sport was all but ruined.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
True, and the death of BU Sports. Fordham has made many mistakes and omissions in our athletic history but the single worst mistake was joining the Patriot League. While fball improved, virtually every other sport was all but ruined.
On the other hand, Fordham somehow parlayed all that into an invitation to join the A-10. Who should be ridiculed now? (That, of course, is a rhetorical question the answer to which is, "Certainly not Fordham!!!")

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Interesting BU is joining the Patriot league, which has football. I doubt BU would ever revive the football program. Will have to catch-up in the coming weeks. The Patriot league is weak basketball conference. Always pull for Holy Cross and will never root for BU. Back in the day when they had football, they would come to UMass, trash our dorms. Perhaps it was an isolated event, have no warm feelings for BU.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts

We don't need BU. We already have Northeastern, which is a better athletic and academic school from the Boston market.

This does seem like an odd move because it seems like a whole lot of effort for nothing. It is an improvement in basketball, however. Lehigh and Bucknell are better than anything the America East has to offer. The AE is the worst conference in America and if you have the chance to leave, you do it without hesitation. The academic prowess of the Patriot league is far higher than that of the AE, and that may have factored into the desicion as well.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For BU, I imagine it's a academic maneuver

Patriot League Academic Ranks
Army 14L
Colgate 19L
Navy 19L
Bucknell 30L
Lafayette 35L
Lehigh 35
Holy Cross 36L
American 84
(L) Liberal Arts rank

Am East:
BU 56
Binghamton 80
Vermont 88
StonyBrooke 96
UNH 110
Albany Tier 3
Hartford Tier 3
Maine Tier 3
UMBC Tier 3

(Most recent I could find in an easy by conference format is from 2010)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Interesting BU is joining the Patriot league, which has football. I doubt BU would ever revive the football program. Will have to catch-up in the coming weeks. The Patriot league is weak basketball conference. Always pull for Holy Cross and will never root for BU. Back in the day when they had football, they would come to UMass, trash our dorms. Perhaps it was an isolated event, have no warm feelings for BU.
LOL the drunken Zoomass fans at hockey games are real saints. Go BU.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Have taken continue ed courses at BU, Northeastern, UMass-Lowell, and 2 day course at Worcester Poly Tech.

Rate Worcester Poly Tech the highest and then UMass-Lowell. Northeastern courses are short and very easy to earn an A. BU State-of-the Art program taught at the old Wang building was terrible.

I'm sure like all schools there are some great instructors, some poor ones and it's the arverage instructors that seem to make the difference.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So long as BU is in Hockey East, they'll be fine in at least one sport (which also happens to be their biggest).

They already tried (not officially) with a club team as recently as 2010. I wouldn't say they'd never bring it back, but it's certainly a long shot for them to ever field a scholarship team again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
acceptance rate:
perhaps nu has more applicants.
nu has designs on pl when caa runs the course.
neither institution is generous to high academic low income applicants. will patriot league be happy with bu offering full scholarships in basketball?
will ae keep sbu and uvm? will ae survive? (same question)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
will the patriot league be happy with bu offering full scholarships in basketball?
Why wouldn't they? The PL now allows scholarships in all sports and all PL offer scholarships in basketball. They first allowed scholarships in hoops in 1998. Lafayette was the last to not offer them, but have been doing so since 2006.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts