Registered
2,841 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Apparently the Cavs already have 15 guaranteed contracts but he could be on a two-way contract in the "G-League" which would allow him to spend 45 days with the Cavs and the rest with the Canton Charge.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/cavaliers-john-holland-inks-deal-with-cavaliers/

That is awesome. I thought the China deal closed off this possibility but I guess he'll continue to turn down the big money for a shot at the big time.

Looks like the contract IS two-way:
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/cavaliers-john-holland-deal-with-cavaliers-is-two-way/

Hopefully he gets a chance to impact the Cavs this year.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Dylan Haines will be playing this year for the Lugano Tigers in the Swiss League (the top league in Switzerland). Congratz Dylan and good luck in a lovely country!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Dylan Haines will be playing this year for the Lugano Tigers in the Swiss League (the top league in Switzerland). Congratz Dylan and good luck in a lovely country!
Good for Dylan.

I know his stats were not impressive but I was surprised he was not used more his senior year. Junior year he showed signs of being a productive player; making threes and blocking shots when given minutes. It also appeared he bulked up for senior year. Alston, Havener, and Mahoney were ahead of him on the depth chart for sure, but I thought there were times when he could have gotten minutes.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Good for Eric. He has great potential to make a career playing basketball at a high level in Europe and make good money doing so. He definitely has the body and the skill-set to be a modern professional 2.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This was a great interview.

It's still a long shot but John could have his two-way contract converted into a regular NBA contract. This would require him to continue to play well (he shot 69% from three point distance in the preseason) and the Cavaliers lose players to injury/traded. I'm not counting on this to happen but given the injury history of some players (Wade/Rose) I think John will get some playing time eventually.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I think he will too. I saw that he was a pleasant surprise for them in the preseason games. I'm not sure he'll see a lot of time on the floor this season but given Rose and Wade I think he'll at least spend his share of games at the end of the Cavs bench. Then, who knows?

I read that Mike Gansey, who is now the Asst. GM of the Cavs under their new management, was the GM of the Canton Charge the past few years. The team knows very well what John can do.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Since I like to compile information, below is a list of former Terriers who are trying their hands in professional basketball.

1) Rashad Bell ('05) - Holargos (Greece)

2) John Holland ('11) - Cleveland Cavaliers (USA)

3) Jake O'Brien ('13) - Kymis (Greece)

4) Dom Morris ('14) - Charleville (France)

5) D.J. Irving ('14) - ULB OH!TELS (Spain)

6) Mat Piotrowski ('15) - Washington Generals (USA) (!)

7) Malik Thomas ('15) - Scarborough (Canada) (?)

8) Eric Fanning ('17) - Kormend (Hungary)

9) Justin Alston ('17) - Trier (Germany)

10) Dylan Haines ('17) - Lugano Tigers (Switzerland)

I don't believe Corey Lowe, Tyler Morris, Carlos Strong, or Darryl Partin are playing professionally anymore, but each played for at least a little.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Congrats to John on his first NBA points last night with a 3-pointer. :clap:

Here's his final stat line:
MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS
J. HollandSG 5 1-2 1-1 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1 3

Also, this is pretty awesome (from the play-by-play):
4:39 John Holland enters the game for LeBron James 103 - 81

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I was checking on verbal commits and saw something I hadn't noticed before. Now Brandon Johnson is listed as "transferring." Apparently he is now playing for Babson College (DIII) which is a high quality liberal arts school in Wellesely. It looks like he is averaging 10.5 points/7.5 rebounds/1.3 assists. Awesome to see Brandon thriving there!

http://www.babsonathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/bios/johnson_brandon_vr50

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
It could be happening for John Holland...

Thanks to some injuries, he's been getting some solid run for the Cavs the past couple of games. In LA, John had 19 rotation minutes and scored a career-high 9 points. Last night against Phoenix, he was the first man off the bench and played 28 mins -- only scored 2 pts but was a +10 and had 6 rebs. People seem impressed by his defense, energy and effort.

Here's an interview post-game:

Here's a sweet block of a dunk:

161 - 180 of 206 Posts