Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What follows is the text of an article in today's Daily Free Press (the independent BU student newspaper):

The Daily Free Press - Sports

Issue: 4/1/05

Wolff says BU has to bounce back from poor finish
By Andrew Cannarsa

Almost two weeks removed from his team's 30-point loss in the National Invitation Tournament to Georgetown University, Boston University men's basketball coach Dennis Wolff made no excuses for his team's poor finish to the 2004-05 season.

Wolff - who set aside his all-business demeanor and no-nonsense attitude - spoke candidly in his office Monday about the Terriers' offensive struggles down the stretch, poor communication between the coaches and players and the need for BU to "rebuild" and "regroup" from now until the start of next season in October.

Wolff's 11th year at BU yielded a fourth-straight 20-win season and a fourth-straight postseason appearance, but the veteran coach said the season's sour ending left him unfulfilled.

"There's a little bit of an empty feeling because of the way we played the last three weeks," Wolff said. "It was a season that unfortunately might have been better served being over with three weeks to go. On offense ... it was a struggle every possession.

"For whatever reason, we got to the point where we were very inefficient."

Never were the Terriers' offensive woes more painfully evident than during BU's 47-45 loss to the University of Maine in the America East quarterfinals. For the second straight season, Wolff's team was knocked out in its first playoff game by a lower seed. Against the Black Bears, the Terriers scored a then-season low 45 points and shot just 28 percent.

But it got worse, as BU followed the conference tournament defeat with a sad 64-34 loss to the Hoyas in Washington, D.C. on March 16. The Terriers shot a dismal 22 percent in their final loss, finishing the year losing four of their last five games and scoring less than 50 points in each loss.

Wolff cited several things that happened at the end of the year to derail the BU offense. While some players lost confidence in their shooting, others tried to do too much and lost track of their roles.

"We had way too many possessions where we didn't do the things fundamentally that we should have been doing," Wolff said. "At the end of almost every possession, you were holding your breath."

But what was most interesting was to hear Wolff say that his team might have been content with not playing its best basketball while still winning games against the America East's weaker teams.

"Sometimes, things fall on deaf ears when you're winning," Wolff said. "I can't tell you how many times after practice, I would tell the team, 'We can't be playing that way and think we're winning tomorrow.'

"We're beating these teams and then I'm going into the locker room mad," he continued. "It's really not about the winning or losing. It's about how we're practicing and playing."

The Terriers were 13-1 against America East teams below them in the conference standings, but just 1-3 against the University of Vermont and Northeastern University, the top two teams in the league. The worst of those three losses against Vermont and Northeastern was a 63-48 defeat to the Huskies at Agganis Arena on Feb. 20. BU shot 36 percent in loss, and Chaz Carr was just 2-of-18.

"That's when it started," Wolff said. "We had guys trying to make plays they shouldn't make ... and I think we weren't tough enough down the stretch. We didn't correct things before it got to be a real critical problem."

Wolff, though, said he and the coaching staff accept the blame for the team's poor finish, and the coaches will evaluate how well they're preaching team objectives throughout the season.

"We had to constantly repeat ourselves to the younger guys that we [the coaching staff] have to do a better job early on of saying, 'This is what we do, this is how we do it,'" Wolff said. "I kept saying [to the coaches] at the end of the year, 'Did we do a good job of going over these things in October, so we're not doing it in March?'"

That, along with the offensive breakdowns, did the Terriers in at the end of the season. It was, however, another 20-win year that yielded a third straight NIT appearance. Along the way, the Terriers won at the University of Michigan, opened Agganis with a win over Vermont and enjoyed an eight-game winning streak in the middle of the season.

Carr and classmate Rashad Bell - both all-league first-team players as seniors - never won fewer than 20 games in their career, making an NCAA tournament appearance in 2002.

"Any coach or any group of players that looks down at 20 wins and the NIT isn't in touch with the reality of college basketball in this day in age," Wolff said. "When I think back on these last four years, there have been very few bad games. Some have come at very inopportune times, but that's just the nature of it.

"I would like it all to be perfect, me more than anyone," he added, "but unfortunately sometimes it's not going to be."

The Terriers can only look to the future - a future without Carr and Bell, who finished eighth and ninth on the school's all-time scoring list, respectively. Wolff said the team has already signed two players - a point guard from New York City and a shooting guard from New Hampshire - for next season with plans to sign two more. Add those four new faces with forwards Ben Coblyn and Ibrahim Konate - freshman who redshirted this season with injuries - and BU will welcome six new players to the fold.

"We're gonna be in a little bit of a rebuilding mode," Wolff said. "We have questions. There's a lot more up in the air. We're gonna have to be patient because there's gonna be a lot more younger guys playing."

So after four years of unparalleled success, Wolff said the team will have to "restructure" on the fly to compete in a "dramatically different" conference, with Northeastern jumping to the Colonial Athletic Association and Vermont losing Taylor Coppenrath, T.J. Sorrentine and Tom Brennan.

For Wolff, the team and Terrier fans, it's all wait and see what unfolds next fall.

"When you've been the coach at the same school for 11 years, things go in cycles," said Wolff, who added that he doesn't plan on leaving the BU sideline anytime soon. "We'll go in having a roster of talent, and we'll just have to see how they mesh together as a team."
I've been critical of coach Wolff in the collapse, and I would like to say that it is very big of him to take responsiblity and acknowledge that the offense was a key factor to the problems. This sort of introspection makes me hopeful for next year.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The only thing I can say is I really think having only 2 seniors this year hurt somewhat. Not that its the only thing, far from it, but the last 4 years BU has had much more vocal and larger classes of senior leaders. Only 2 juniors too. With such a young team its hard sometimes to get consistency. It really seemed every game after the Vermont game that Rashad was the only guy bringing it on the team. He intensity was up but the rest of the team wasnt; it was evident even when they were going through layupp lines, especially at the AE tourney... Couple that with the fact that this was the least talented team Bu has had in the past 4 years... Not making excuses because this year was a huge dissapointment, just stating some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
33,501 Posts
While I think it is admirable Coach Wolff is falling on his own sword, the bottom line was that he couldn't go out and score the points himself. If nobody on the team can hit a shot, it will be a long game each and very time.

I thought very highly of BU from the beginning of the season thru the middle until the wheels fell off at the end. Chaz Carr and Rashad Bell will always be two great players in my book, despite their teams' anemic finish to the season.

·
Registered
341 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
I thought very highly of BU from the beginning of the season thru the middle until the wheels fell off at the end. Chaz Carr and Rashad Bell will always be two great players in my book, despite their teams' anemic finish to the season.
Two great players with an inability to lead a bunch of young men through adversity.

As much as I hate to say it, and as great of players they both were, they were not leaders. You could see it through their actions: Rashad Bell throwing a hissy-fit during the UMBC game where he refused to come in the huddle after being critisized for a poor defense play. etc.

Before anyone tells me I don't see what goes on in the lockerroom, read the article following the Georgetown debacle. Chaz Carr virtually admits his inability to control the team (referring to people not helping eachother create shots, doing things to create their own shots and failing).

Nope, these guys aren't K Fitz, Billy Collins, Ryan Butt or Jason Grachowalski. And unfortunately, I don't see anyone stepping up to take that role in Kevin Gardner or Shaun Wynn. Wynn especially showed his me-first attitude in the
games that I saw.

It's no mistake that teams of this ilk, i.e. the Mid-Majority, need team unity above all else to succeed against their big-time brethren. (See UWM, UVM, Bucknell, Penn, etc)

Until BU gets another set of team players, it will continue to walk into a post-season only to get beaten down by highly/naturally talented players.

My 2 cents. Tell me why I'm wrong.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My guess is that BU will surprise a lot of folks across the league next year. I think the younger players on this team could develop into a much better team than they have had the past two years. Gaffney, much like the Christensen kid at NH, could develop quickly into one of the elite players in the AE next year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well I hope gaffney does something. He looked like he struggled to adjust to the college games, the times I saw him.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
As far as great leaders at BU, lets not forget Daniel Daccarett and Stijn Dhont... as far as Bell he was very emotional, but he was the one leader on the team, at the tourney, vs Northeastern, he tried to get everyone into it, the problem is he was only one guy, when you have other guys (cough cough wynn) who dont care and are setting bad examples to counter his, it puts him in a tough position...

·
Registered
853 Posts
The 2005-06 season could be dubbed the beginning of the Etienne Brower era. I think, just like the team evolved around Rashad these past four years, the future BU teams will evolve around Etienne. The point guard position is a concern, and I think that's why Coach Wolff calls it a "rebuilding year".

Hogwash! BU has been in similar positions before (remember last year with the graduation of Grochowalski, Butt, Turner and Fitzgerald?), and the team didn't fall off the cliff. The often critized reliance on defense keeps them near the top. Maybe we see more of a half-court game from BU until the offense emerges.

The signing period is two weeks away, but I think BU will bring a top-notch recruiting class and reload again. This kid Marques Johnson is supposed to be very good. I see UVM in a tougher spot to repeat what they did this season...new coach...new system...and they're behind in the recruiting trail.

We may not see three teams in post-season next year, but Albany won't run away with the AE as many people think.

My .02 cents. :cheers:

·
Registered
280 Posts
TheVelezes said:
The 2005-06 season could be dubbed the beginning of the Etienne Brower era. I think, just like the team evolved around Rashad these past four years, the future BU teams will evolve around Etienne. The point guard position is a concern, and I think that's why Coach Wolff calls it a "rebuilding year".

Hogwash! BU has been in similar positions before (remember last year with the graduation of Grochowalski, Butt, Turner and Fitzgerald?), and the team didn't fall off the cliff. The often critized reliance on defense keeps them near the top. Maybe we see more of a half-court game from BU until the offense emerges.

The signing period is two weeks away, but I think BU will bring a top-notch recruiting class and reload again. This kid Marques Johnson is supposed to be very good. I see UVM in a tougher spot to repeat what they did this season...new coach...new system...and they're behind in the recruiting trail.

We may not see three teams in post-season next year, but Albany won't run away with the AE as many people think.

My .02 cents. :cheers:
I don't think BU's problem has ever been a lack of talent. I agree with you that the guns will be there next year. The problem is the amunition (motivation and unity).

Ultimately, Bell and Carr were "me first" guys with a lot of talent. I frankly don't see Brower being any different from them, except for having less talent. Brower had a few good games, I grant you, but he just isn't a consistent enough "go to" guy who you count on to get the team motivated.

In addition to a lack of leadership this year, BU really missed someone like Grochowalski who could do that (turn a game around) while accepting a role off the bench. I don't see any guy on next year's team fitting that kind of role. If one guy COULD do it, it would be Wynn. Some see him as playing selfishly this past year, and I can't argue with that. But in the previous seasons he was unselfish and a team guy. Hopefully he can go back to that next season.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Interesting observation, BBallDog.

I wonder if Wynn will be brought to the point guard spot. I see a a big contest for the PG position, with Wynn, Geffen and the freshmen recruits fighting for minutes. BU is still recruiting for an additional point.

I just hope it is settled by the beginning of the season. I hate positions being run "by commitee". I know Coach Wolff is worried about this picture.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Wynn can't play the point. He's a good passer and gets a lot of assists, but his dribbling ability is really lacking, I can't count the number of times I have seen him just lose controll of the basketball. If a team presses BU and he's bringing the ball up court BU is in trouble...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts