1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Yeah, it's in the conference explosion thread

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I personally am stunned...definitely didn't see them going Patriot. Kinda crazy...

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
Admittedly, I've checked out since the frustrating end to both bball seasons for BU, but I had not idea this was coming today. I'd heard chatter, but nothing confirmed, and not in this direction. I'm still processing, but my initial feelings are sadness and melancholy.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
In all seriousness, great move for BU.

If they didn't get in/didn't want to go to the CAA, and SBU is/did - what other option did they have?

The options for AE expansion probably didn't fit BU's "model" and they figured "us in the PL isn't any worse than what the AE is going to add, and we're going with incredibly better academic schools."

So, who's on the AE's radar now:

Quinnipiac
Jersey Tech
Monmouth
Texas Pan American
Chicago State
Dean Junior College
UMPI
UMFK

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
4 football schools, three different conferences, none of them named the America East.

That's PERFECT.....not

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I might be way behind, but the Patriot now offers scholarships across all sports, right? If so I think this is a really good fit for BU.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
4 football schools, three different conferences, none of them named the America East.

That's PERFECT.....not
If this conference doesn't add football by the end of the week...FIRE the Commish. Hyperbole? Maybe but you get the point.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Well we all knew that the Aeast was going to lose 1 or 2 schools. There was talk ealier of two schools being ready to join the Aeast one being Quinnipiac and another unamed one. Hopefully this is true and we can add schools sooner than later. I guess we will find out now if BU was really always calling the shots in the Aeast or not. I know from looking at the Holy Cross board they are thrilled!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I dont know how I feel about this, but it's certainly an upgrade academically. Should pay dividends for basketball with all of the eastern PA schools (and Bucknell in Central PA) and BU basketball already having a big time Philly flavor.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting move for BU, Pat League is a decent fit for them, with AU being the only other non-football school.

Where does that leave the AE in regards to some of the minor sports? Would we lose any autobids?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I am shocked... but, I like the move! Patriot is certainly no worse than the AE in basketball, and we'll still be a conference heavyweight there. I mean, we can get a 15/16 seed in either one, so why not? Patriot is second to only the Ivy in terms of academics.

The thing I will miss the most is the AE Tourneys. Where on earth is the PL tourney? Do they even have one, or is it campus sites??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting move for BU, Pat League is a decent fit for them, with AU being the only other non-football school.

Where does that leave the AE in regards to some of the minor sports? Would we lose any autobids?
Field hockey I believe. If Stony Brook also leaves you have a lot more on the chopping block (Baseball, softball, and mens and womens lacrosse)

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a big loss for the conference. That being said I guess we can now move the League Headquarters as we somehow managed to lose both Boston teams. As far as BU goes, my guess is you will have better basketball success against the Service Academies than you did over the past decade against Vermont!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
As a BU fan I have pretty mixed feelings.

On one side I like the academic focus of the Patriot League. The older I get the more I wish BU focused on academics. You could actually convince me that the best move for BU would have been to drop down to D-3 and join the nerdy-9. Those schools fit the mold of what I think BU should strive for. I'm saying this as a die-hard basketball fan by the way.

On the other side this means the A-10 dream is dead. About 8-10 years ago it seemed very likely that BU would eventually make a move to the A-10 and every year that's gone by it's seemed less and less likely and today that dream has gone from deferred to dead.

Just to make one point clear, I'm a firm believer than the Patriot League is a much better scenario for BU than the CAA. Almost impossible (at least historically) for teams from the North to make the NCAA tournament out of the CAA. Even with the upcoming departures, there's too much travel and too many inferior academic schools. This was a much better option.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
As I would have guessed the AE is once again in he position to be reactive rather than proactive. Credit to the Patriot League for their proactive behavior. It will be very strange not having BU in the league as it just feels like forever.

1 - 20 of 365 Posts