Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

What HL team has the best chance for a nationally televised Bracket Buster game?

• Butler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleveland State

• Detroit

• Illinois-Chicago

• Loyola

• Wisconsin-Green Bay

• Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Youngstown State

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking RPI and overall schedule into account, what Horizon League team has the best shot of having one of the five nationally televised Bracket Buster games?

I'm asking this because I see that ESPN is already planning out their schedule for that day, from what it looks like. They're trying to get a Creighton vs. Gonzaga game, despite the fact that they're both away teams for the Bracket Buster.

Also, remember that Wright State is not participating in Bracket Buster Saturday.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My opinions on this

I forgot to put my own opinions on this.

First of all, just so you know, there will be 23 games for the Bracket Buster. 5 will be nationally televised on ESPN/ESPN2, and another 5 will be covered on ESPN+ regionally. Matchups will be announced Feb. 1st, with the games played on the 21st.

If you go solely by overall record, UWGB has the best chance at this point for a national game, with UIC also having a possibility for one.

However, if you go by RPI alone, no Horizon League team has a chance. The highest is Detroit, who will be playing away, and there are about 7 other teams playing away above it. For a home game, UWM is the highest, but also has about 7 teams above it.

Still, I would think that the best would be to have a balance of teams from each conference playing in this. At this point, 4 of the 5 teams participating from the Western Athletic have a good chance for some type of TV exposure.

As of right now, I don't think Butler, Cleveland State, Loyola, or Youngstown State have a chance for any type of televised game, regional or national, for the Bracket Buster. UWGB, UWM, UIC, and Detroit might have to win out until Feb. 1 to get the best shot, but I think we should see at least one of these four teams nationally televised, and maybe one or two others with regional coverage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts