Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 25 or so years Gene Keady spent in Purdue there were some decent NBA players to go through the system, including Joe Barry Carroll, Brian Cardinal, Glenn Robinson, and Brad Miller.

Brad Miller is important because he's the guy that a lot of people think Hoff Araujo should be trying to emulate: hard-nosed, soft hands, good passer, solid all-around.

Keady was key in developing Miller in the four years he spent there before going undrafted and fighting his way into the NBA.

"Sometimes players don't understand how much coach Keady has done for them, both in terms of basketball and off the court," said Miller, who is the Boilermakers' 16th all-time leading scorer. "I have appreciated what he did for me."

Keady is currently on vacation with his wife, taking a week-long cruise, while deciding to remain retired or to accept a job on the bench coaching with the Raptors' Sam Mitchell.

Do you think Keady could be good specifically for Araujo's development, or is it a coincidence and you've learned not to expect anything from our Brazillian Beast?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I've been saying all along that Hoff only needed PT. That's it. He can't make the adjustments without PT. He has no bigs to play against in practice or to mentor him.

When he was given minutes last year, he produced. When he plays 5mpg he doesn't. Its not magic.

If we had just played him more all last year he would have been ready to start this season from game 1 at the level he played last night. I truly believe that.

Of course I also felt that if you gave me 2-3 months to work with Jerome Moiso every day that I could turn him into a productive nba center. So maybe I'm crazy.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I'd love to see our coaches spend time with Hoffa to develop his knowledge of the game. Hopefully this will be one of Keady's roles. And hopefully he adopts the team despite our struggles, we need to continue developing the organization at every level.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
wasn't Alex English supposed to be our bigman coach?

keady is supposed to be one of those guys who pushes everyone to get the most out of their talent. And refuses to let people quit, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe he's here to scream at people.

btw. heres a quote from his assistant coach/former player. Not sure the relevance, but whatever...

What is your favorite Coach Keady memory?

One of the things that will always stick out in my mind will be our first team meeting my freshman year. It was still one of the first times I'd ever met coach, so I was pretty intimate and I didn't know what to expect. Well, during this team meeting Coach talked about two things. The first was that he wanted us to tie our shoes with the laces in so we wouldn't turn our ankles. Then he passed out breath mints and started to talk about the importance of having good breath. I thought that it was kind of silly, but then later in the season I realized that half of our team couldn't tie their shoes, and the other half had bad breath. Coach was right on the money with that one!

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
ansoncarter said:
wasn't Alex English supposed to be our bigman coach?

keady is supposed to be one of those guys who pushes everyone to get the most out of their talent. And refuses to let people quit, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe he's here to scream at people.

btw. heres a quote from his assistant coach/former player. Not sure the relevance, but whatever...

What is your favorite Coach Keady memory?

One of the things that will always stick out in my mind will be our first team meeting my freshman year. It was still one of the first times I'd ever met coach, so I was pretty intimate and I didn't know what to expect. Well, during this team meeting Coach talked about two things. The first was that he wanted us to tie our shoes with the laces in so we wouldn't turn our ankles. Then he passed out breath mints and started to talk about the importance of having good breath. I thought that it was kind of silly, but then later in the season I realized that half of our team couldn't tie their shoes, and the other half had bad breath. Coach was right on the money with that one!
Nice quote! The lighter side of Keady I guess, though he probably said it will all seriousness. Deep down he probably wanted to prevent injuries and keep the boys happy by getting a few more girls.

I don't think he'll be a screamer with our team though. I think he'll be a consultant strategist but I'd like to see work in player education.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
heres a cool quote (from some writer)

"Keady's claim to fame -- his trademark, if you will -- is that he was able to take average players and get them to overachieve"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts