Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else watch Roy play and see a perfect Ricky Davis or Manu Ginobili NBA comparison? Roy has a great feel for the game on the offensive end, especially when using hesitation moves to get a good first step and quickly move by his defender en route to the basket. He is a good finisher and considering that he is left-handed, I'm surprised with his ability to go both directions and finish with both hands. Also, Roy has a very nice mid-range game with a prototypical jump shot, though he does hesitate with perimeter shots. From what I can tell, Roy is also a very instinctive player, recognizing collapses in the defense. In the UCONN game, he numerously dribble-penetrated and dished off with quick, decisive, no-look passes to open teammates. From his play-making abilities, he can act as a combo guard when necessary and he would be very good on a fast-break team (because of his passing alertness and ballhandling ability). His offensive game is beautiful. He is not a particularly good perimeter defender and not that athletic, but I can see Brandan Roy having a long NBA career as a starting shooting guard who would be a very nice third or fourth option on any team. He should be drafted in the top eight, for sure. I think the Boston Celtics would be a perfect team to draft him (though, I am biased) with the assumed departure of Paul Pierce within the next season.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Premier said:
Does anyone else watch Roy play and see a perfect Ricky Davis or Manu Ginobili NBA comparison? Roy has a great feel for the game on the offensive end, especially when using hesitation moves to get a good first step and quickly move by his defender en route to the basket. He is a good finisher and considering that he is left-handed, I'm surprised with his ability to go both directions and finish with both hands. Also, Roy has a very nice mid-range game with a prototypical jump shot, though he does hesitate with perimeter shots. From what I can tell, Roy is also a very instinctive player, recognizing collapses in the defense. In the UCONN game, he numerously dribble-penetrated and dished off with quick, decisive, no-look passes to open teammates. From his play-making abilities, he can act as a combo guard when necessary and he would be very good on a fast-break team (because of his passing alertness and ballhandling ability). His offensive game is beautiful. He is not a particularly good perimeter defender and not that athletic, but I can see Brandan Roy having a long NBA career as a starting shooting guard who would be a very nice third or fourth option on any team. He should be drafted in the top eight, for sure. I think the Boston Celtics would be a perfect team to draft him (though, I am biased) with the assumed departure of Paul Pierce within the next season.
I was impressed w/ his unselfishness and passing ability. I was suprised he didn't try to post up Anderson more than he did though. Gay actually played him well when he was on him.

I think he's a late lottery pick in a good year -- top 8 pick in this draft however depending on team need.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
He has reminded me of a young Derek Anderson lately. Very versatile offensive game...smooth, makes the right decisions. He's not going to be a star with his shot or athleticism, but he's as much of a sure thing as there is in this draft.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've been watching him all year (live in WA). Not a Husky fan, but B-Roy is a very solid player and I love watching him. He's not spectacular at one thing, but he's a perfect role player. I wouldn't mind if the Sonics drafted him....we need a backup SG that can defend, and Roy would be perfect...plus, playing for his hometown team.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I was going to post something about Roy too. Out of everyone that I've seen play in the tourney (I don't watch College ball much till March) I've been extremely impressed by Roy...how did he not start last year?

Anyways, as a Blazer fan I noticed a comparison to Derek Anderson as well...but I think and hope that he'll be what Derek Anderson was supposed to be. I think that Roy will be a great player...not a star...but a really good player that will be versitle (could play spot minutes at PG and SF).

He just has an aura about him that screams leadership...and I think that any team that takes him will be very happy. I'm higher on him than Morrison...who would win in a game of one-on-one between them?

I don't know what team he'll go to...if somehow manages to slip (or through a trade, gets drafted) to a playoff level team, then he'll come in and contribute immediately next year.

Anyways, he's definately one of my favorite players to watch this year....he gets the job done and the ball in the hoop. He'll be better than Morrison or Reddick in the pros.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
2,998 Posts
Roy showed tonight that he's a very good basketball player. Playing his usual solid game against a very talented UConn team. What I like about him other than his strong fundamental and solid all-around game is his calmness in tough situation. He's a smart player who knows what to do when he's on the court. I'm still a bit sad with the loss. It was sooo close. It was a great game tho. A great great effort by UW.

I like the Bulls to grab him with their pick (not the Knicks pick). The Bulls need a big guard. Roy looks like John Paxson's type of guy. Smart player with strong fundamental. He should be a great back up to Ben Gordon. It's either him or Ronnie Brewer, Brewer is also a big combo guard and has the potential to be a very good defender. But, Roy is the more complete player. And Roy possess enough athleticism to at least be a solid 2 guard in the league.

Roy reminds more of Kerry Kittles in college, pre-injury.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Premier said:
I agree with everything...

but, Roy is right-handed, not left-handed

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
roy got robbed! where was the foul?

nah, but i like him. he'll do good things in the nba

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think that this guy is one of the most complete players in the game right now. While a lot of the other guys whose names are mentioned as top lotto picks have been inconsistent (RUDY GAY), Roy brings it every night. His game, IMO, is more NBA-ready than most other players slotted to be top 10 picks this year.
There's nothing that I don't like about this kid. His handles are good, his a great passer for a SG, he's got a really nice shot, and he really seems to be a leader on the court for his team.
Before the tournament, I was thinking that it would be best for the Raptors to trade down in the draft, but after seeing the way Roy has played in the tourney after having a solid season, I'm hoping that the Raps pick him. The only player I'd want ahead of him is LA, some other team can take Gay and his 'potential'.

·
Premium Member
21,860 Posts
He didn't look bad last night either.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
early on this year someone tried to tell me that he had the knees of a 40 year old, he's doing pretty good now isnt he. he's sort of a throwback to when guards did a little of everything and even had the mid range to go with the long distance shot and could pass the ball a little. in this draft, which we know is weak, he'll most likely get a call around the 6-10 range, i would think he will be the second shooting guard taken after morrison with interest coming from teams like houston and orlando who should be drafting in the aforementioned area.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think Brandon Roy has the most impressive skillset in a guard in the entire NCAA. He can shoot, uses the shot-fake effectively, he can drive left as well as he can right, he finishes around the hoop, he can absorb contact, he is quick, he can handle and pass the ball. He has some PG skills. The manu comparison is right on the money, except for all the flopping. :D

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Roy is the best NBA 2 guard in the draft.

Better NBA player than Redick. Gay does not have the developed perimeter skillset; Morrison has no chance to pretend to defend NBA 2-guards.

You might take Gay or Morrison ahead of him, but not if you need a pure 2-guard.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I am frustrated that I was not turned on to this kid until late in the year. I love his game, his versatility, his whole vibe. I don't really have a big enough sample, but I'd like him on the Bulls, and if that means picking him with New York's pick, then so be it. I think a lot of people are underrating what he will accomplish in the league.

My main reservation about him is whether he will be able to finish in the lane against NBA players as well as he does against college guys. So to the people who have watched Roy more than I have, can you tell me if he sometimes plays above the rim, and if he sometimes dunks on people? We all saw him poke away that steal against UConn and go in for the uncontested dunk, but usually there's a defense to contend with.

Does anyone have any highlight clips of Roy dunking on people they could post and/or post links to?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.