Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"NBADraft.net also learned today that Brandon Rush plans on entering his name in the 2005 draft. Rush had a good showing in the Roundball Classic, and will have another chance to impress scouts on Saturday when he plays in the Hoops Summit game. Rush's skills however are very raw, and in need of development. In the past few months it began to look as though he would take the college route. Which if he's smart, he will leave the option open to do while testing the draft process." NBADraft.net
Lookslike another high school rich draft.
 

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
Joined
·
6,884 Posts
huh? it's been said by people smarter than me that this year's high school crop is one of the worst in years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,387 Posts
It is a terrible class, but Rush is going to turn 20 soon, and he stayed in HS for 2 extra years just to prep for the NBA. If he doesn't go now, even if he's a good college player, his draft status is shot. Garcia is 23 and that's a huge factor that separates him from a top 25 pick...Rush understands that, and IMO is making the right move now. He made the wrong move not going to college 2 years ago though, and that's what had put him in this situation.

It's the same deal with Monta Ellis. He'll be 20 soon (or is already), and knows that age is a huge factor in the modern NBA draft. Louis Williams on the other hand doesn't have that age issue and should go to college for a couple of years.

Back to Rush though, he saw how JaRon would have been picked for sure coming out of HS (he would have been a near-lotto pick), but instead had the problems typical of the Rush brothers, and ended up in the bars of Kansas City, intead on a court. Brandon would be smart to at least see if he's a 1st rounder, which I think he is due to all of the guys staying in school...who would have thought, the better prospects (Marvin Williams, Rudy Gay, maybe Chris Paul, etc) are staying in school.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The crop may not be very good but a lot of kids look like they are going to test the waters (no agent)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70,380 Posts
I agree with everyone else, this HS-to-NBA class is incredibly weak compared to last year which is looking amazing.

Does anyone think that Green, Ellis, Rush, or Williams would have even been lottery picks if they were in the 2004 draft? I doubt it. Not even Josh Smith, JR Smith, Al Jefferson were lottery picks last year and I think all 3 will be better than any HS player in this 2005 draft.
 

·
Wooden the Wizard
Joined
·
13,621 Posts
They were talking tonight during the Nike Hoops game that Rush was deciding between Illinois and Oklahoma - didn't even mention the NBA. He didn't get much chance to show his stuff. I think he only scored once.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70,380 Posts
TonyM said:
They were talking tonight during the Nike Hoops game that Rush was deciding between Illinois and Oklahoma - didn't even mention the NBA. He didn't get much chance to show his stuff. I think he only scored once.
Was that the USA vs. the World game? I saw it on FOX Sports, but only watched a couple minutes of it.. Rush, Louis Williams, Ellis, Webster, and Hendrix were also on USA team.
 

·
Wooden the Wizard
Joined
·
13,621 Posts
ya, Nike Hoops: USA vs. World. USA won by almost 20. Two ACC boys put on the best shwoing: Tyler Hansbrough and Paulus. Webster wasn't bad either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
TheATLien said:
I agree with everyone else, this HS-to-NBA class is incredibly weak compared to last year which is looking amazing.

Does anyone think that Green, Ellis, Rush, or Williams would have even been lottery picks if they were in the 2004 draft? I doubt it. Not even Josh Smith, JR Smith, Al Jefferson were lottery picks last year and I think all 3 will be better than any HS player in this 2005 draft.
last years class certainly had the depth but there were some that shouldnt have declared for the draft.this class is not as good as last years top to bottom but i think green,mcroberts and maybe webster are right there with the best from last year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,482 Posts
Rush would be foolish to declare for the draft, no team would draft him.

And I agree with the majority here, I have not seen a HS class this weak in many years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70,380 Posts
rainman said:
last years class certainly had the depth but there were some that shouldnt have declared for the draft.this class is not as good as last years top to bottom but i think green,mcroberts and maybe webster are right there with the best from last year.
They are right there with guys like Dwight Howard and Shaun Livingston, huh? Yeah right. And if we are including college guys from this HS class it is even more of a no contest: Marvin Williams, Rudy Gay, etc. etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,236 Posts
TheATLien said:
I agree with everyone else, this HS-to-NBA class is incredibly weak compared to last year which is looking amazing.

Does anyone think that Green, Ellis, Rush, or Williams would have even been lottery picks if they were in the 2004 draft? I doubt it. Not even Josh Smith, JR Smith, Al Jefferson were lottery picks last year and I think all 3 will be better than any HS player in this 2005 draft.
Green is going to be a top 5-10 pick most likely.. None of those guys were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
not here to argue how good the class of 2004 was,on the other hand i dont judge a group by how many declare for the draft. most of those guys should have gone to college. except for howard i dont think any of them were ready for the league and guys like wright,telfair and swift were misled into thinking they should declare. they could have made more money in the long run by going to college and playing a year or two before going into the nba.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,061 Posts
TheATLien said:
Yeah, thanks to a very weak draft.
I don't think the weak draft has anything to do with it. Green has just as much/more potential than any of the HS wings taken in the first round a year ago. As far as superstar potential, I give Green the edge at this stage.
 

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
Joined
·
19,803 Posts
rainman said:
not here to argue how good the class of 2004 was,on the other hand i dont judge a group by how many declare for the draft. most of those guys should have gone to college. except for howard i dont think any of them were ready for the league and guys like wright,telfair and swift were misled into thinking they should declare. they could have made more money in the long run by going to college and playing a year or two before going into the nba.

How do you make more money playing a year or three for free? Quicker to the league, better training, quicker to free agency.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top