Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Braves have landed All-Star second baseman Dan Uggla from the Marlins in exchange for Omar Infante and left-handed reliever Mike Dunn.

Uggla is coming off a career-best season that included a .287 batting average, 33 homers and 105 RBIs. The 30-year-old infielder could play left field for the Braves or at least provide insurance until Chipper Jones proves that he is able to return from ACL surgery.

Uggla has no played any other positions other than second base since arriving in the Majors in 2006. There is some belief he could play third base if necessary. Or the Braves could opt to keep him at second base and position Martin Prado at third base or in left field.

With Uggla, the Braves have gained the right-handed hitter they were seeking to add to the middle of their lineup. He has hit at least 31 homers each of the past four seasons and a total of 154 during his five seasons in the Majors.

The Marlins began actively shopping Uggla once they were unable to sign him to a multi-year contract reportedly worth $48 million. The two-time All-Star is entering his final arbitration-eligible season.

With Infante's departure, the Braves will begin pursuing another utility player to compensate for the versatility lost in this deal. Infante's value soared this year as he earned his first All-Star selection and ranked third in the National League with a .321 batting average.
http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/11/braves_acquire_dan_uggla.html

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
The year of overrating omar infante continues...jesus
Not really the case here. The Marlins were generous to offer a 2nd baseman who can't play 2nd base and refuses to play any other position a 4 year $48 million deal, but he refused it and booked his ticket out of town. It's interesting that the Marlins would trade him in the division, but getting a utility player and a pitcher is all the Marlins were looking for anyway. They have so much young talent as it is, they really don't have a position on the diamond left that doesn't have a guy penciled in for the future. Infante will help in the short-term and could be a guy that will push the Marlins over the edge and into the playoffs next year if Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco and Hanley Ramirez can all come back from injuries and be ready to go next year.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Infante can play just about any position you want and he gets on base pretty well. Dunn had a 1.89 ERA as a rookie middle reliever. It stinks losing both of them, but the Braves have good, young pitching depth and hopefully we'll be able to rebuild our bench. As sad as it is, Uggla probably becomes our best HR and RBI guy immediately.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
The year of overrating omar infante continues...jesus
Braves wouldn't have made the playoffs without him. You could make an argument that he was the team's most valuable player after Chipper was lost. Of course, I also don't expect him to hit .321 ever again. Good move by Atlanta to trade him while his value is at the highest it will ever be.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I don't know that I do this deal, even though Uggla is pretty much the middle of the lineup hitter ATL needs. Dunn is a nice bullpen pitcher and Infante is about as valuable as Uggla is. Of course if Uggla hit for the Braves the way he hit against them he'll be the MVP next year. I've heard people say that the Braves have even more pitching in the minors though. Their bullpen is really strong so they can give up Dunn even though he pitched great for them.

Braves could still use another bat. I don't know that you can still count on Chipper being as productive as you need him to be any more for one thing.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Another trade for another bat would be nice, but I wouldn't be willing to trade away any young starting pitching. I can't imagine we could get anything good, without giving up a nice starter or two.

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
Infante can play just about any position you want and he gets on base pretty well. Dunn had a 1.89 ERA as a rookie middle reliever. It stinks losing both of them, but the Braves have good, young pitching depth and hopefully we'll be able to rebuild our bench. As sad as it is, Uggla probably becomes our best HR and RBI guy immediately.
It's really not that sad, I mean he has hit 30+ homers each of the past 4 seasons after all (only second baseman in MLB history to do that by the way). Uggla is your classic "is what he is" guy. He has absolutely no range in the field, although I guess you can say he has good hands when the ball is hit right at him. At least he has that going for him in the field. He's already shattered all kinds of home run hitting records for a second baseman, he strikes out a ton but has made considerable strides the past two years in plate discipline and at least draws his walks and gets on base at a decent rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts