Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this topic after going through and reading the Tupac Vs Biggie thread. A point made by futuristxen really made me curious of how people would group rap artists, because we all know that there's more out there than one genre of rap.

So if anyone out there wants to take a shot at it feel free, I'd be interested in seeing how they broke down some of the artists out there.

Also what are the classifications to each genre? The amount money earned, the content, the style, the target audience?

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I have been out in the sun drinking all day so if this doesnt make sense or if I offend anyone on accident I apologize in advance and I will edit it when I wake up in the morning....

This is a complex question...Rap can be categorized in different areas.....

Gangster Rap :upset: -----People like 50 Cent, Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Spice 1, MC Eiht and old school DJ Quik....this is what gives hip hop a bad name IMO

Nerd Rap----See any rapper on Def Jux or Atmosphere or Kool Keith or Sage Francis...

Grown Folks rap----Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common Sense, The Roots

Pop Rap---Chingy, Ludacris, Nelly, Mase

Then there are a few artists who dont really fit into any of these categories....Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Eminem.....These emcees are usually considered "great" because they can appeal to all of the above groups....

Man I need to go to bed..:sigh:

I lost like 20 bucks in this card game I had no clue how to play....Texas Hold 'Em....why would I play a game for money that I have no clue how to play?.......And on top of that be drunk while doing so?.....I think I might make a corn dog now..that sounds pretty good....:frenchy:

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
I think there is a lot of ways to categorize hip hop. You can do it the way Midnight Marauder^^ did it or by geography.

Both ways have flaws. For example, some 'gangster rappers' like 50 Cent, can also be classified as Pop Rap just because he is so popular. You can make Southern Group, but Outkast wouldnt really fit the mold of most Southern groups out right now. But, there is always exceptions.

I think it's real tough to do this. Maybe Ill do it later, but Im kinda tired.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
There needs to be a category for Lyricists (or Wordsmiths) and then generic bubble gum fools or just incoherent idiots.

Chingy = generic bubble gum fool

Cam'ron = incoherent idiot

Skillz, T.I. = Lyricist

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
the way i would catagorise is:

Underground

Mainstream

in those i'd catagorise it

Lyrist = people who can ryme well

Beat(probaly only for mainstream) = good beat but crap lyrics

Krunk = any song produced by lil john

gangster = not to sure since everyone is a gangster

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Krunk - good beats to dance to, lots of bass, catchy hooks, bad lyrics

Nerd rap - Jedi Mind Tricks, Def Jux sans Murs

Horrorcore - Goretex, Necro

Gangsta rap - 2pac, Scarface, N.W.A.

Poetic - Sage Francis, Aesop Rock

Good message - Kweli, Mos Def

Funk - Snoop

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Midnight_Marauder</b>!
I have been out in the sun drinking all day so if this doesnt make sense or if I offend anyone on accident I apologize in advance and I will edit it when I wake up in the morning....

This is a complex question...Rap can be categorized in different areas.....

Gangster Rap :upset: -----People like 50 Cent, Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Spice 1, MC Eiht and old school DJ Quik....this is what gives hip hop a bad name IMO

White Boy Rap----See any rapper on Def Jux or Atmosphere or Kool Keith or Sage Francis...

Grown Folks rap----Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common Sense, The Roots

Pop Rap---Chingy, Ludacris, Nelly, Mase

Then there are a few artists who dont really fit into any of these categories....Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Eminem.....These emcees are usually considered "great" because they can appeal to all of the above groups....

Man I need to go to bed..:sigh:

I lost like 20 bucks in this card game I had no clue how to play....Texas Hold 'Em....why would I play a game for money that I have no clue how to play?.......And on top of that be drunk while doing so?.....I think I might make a corn dog now..that sounds pretty good....:frenchy:
This is a decent breakdown, I do agree that most people think about gangsta rap when they hear rap, but I don't feel all of it is bad of course.

What you called "white boy rap" is what I consider "nerd rap" since not every white boy is in that style and many blacks are in it. These rappers usually dress more like skaters than hip-hopers and have a nasal type of flow as well.

"Grown folks rap" is "backpackers rap" they are more educated on average and live all 4 elements of hip-hop.

Of course there is pop rap, we all know what that is. Usually has a R&B singer in there as well.

Movement rap- Tupac, Public Enemy, these people's rhymed are based on social, political change.

Abstract rap- Canibus, Killah Priest, GZA, Jedi Mind Tricks, Holocaust sometimes they are spirtual but they often rap about stuff we don't experience in western culture, or even in this world. A 10 year old kid listening to them for example, would be lost.

Battle rap- Rappers typically make a battle song, but don't build their career on it. See Tupacs "Hit 'em up" or Canibus "2nd round knockout"

Pacer guy touched on the overlooked Horrorcore genre, but didn't mention the orginators, the Gravediggaz.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PacersguyUSA</b>!
Krunk - good beats to dance to, lots of bass, catchy hooks, bad lyrics

Nerd rap - Jedi Mind Tricks, Def Jux sans Murs

Horrorcore - Goretex, Necro

Gangsta rap - 2pac, Scarface, N.W.A.

Poetic - Sage Francis, Aesop Rock

Good message - Kweli, Mos Def

Funk - Snoop

all the other ones ive seen are good but this one i think is the best,

wouldn't kanye fit under good message as well even though his lyrics arent always great he always tries with that postive message stuff......

but pacerguy you did a good job. :)

high five

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>O2K</b>!

wouldn't kanye fit under good message as well even though his lyrics arent always great he always tries with that postive message stuff......
Not really. I understand what you're saying, but the whole "College Dropout" theme isn't exactly the best message for young kids.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts

White Boy Rap----See any rapper on Def Jux or Atmosphere or Kool Keith or Sage Francis...
Oddly enough... Atmosphere and Kool Keith...Not White. I think this is a ridiculous category.

What you called "white boy rap" is what I consider "nerd rap" since not every white boy is in that style and many blacks are in it. These rappers usually dress more like skaters than hip-hopers and have a nasal type of flow as well.
You're basing a musical genre upon how you think they may or may not dress? That's retarded.

Okay.
Cool Accessory Rap: Flava Flav, Ghostface Killah, MF Doom

This group is based upon the fact that these rappers all have cool assecories.:rolleyes:

I also have a problem with "good message" rap. because it implies that other rap is "bad message" rap. Is NWA bad message rap? The world is a cold hard place. Sometimes reality isn't good. Sometimes you've got to bring attention to the ugliness. The fact that you label Krunk as having bad lyrics, and have northern rappers like Kweli and Mos Def as "good message" rap, is very biased against the south. There are plenty of krunk songs with "good messages". Krunk is more about the sound and the region, not per se the quality or substance of the lyrics.

That's my critique.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jamel Irief</b>!

Abstract rap- Canibus, Killah Priest, GZA, Jedi Mind Tricks, Holocaust sometimes they are spirtual but they often rap about stuff we don't experience in western culture, or even in this world. A 10 year old kid listening to them for example, would be lost.
Being that I'm not 10 years old, I don't have a hard time figuring out what any of these rappers are talking about. So I think they're anything but abstract. Are you sure you meant abstract?

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

Oddly enough... Atmosphere and Kool Keith...Not White. I think this is a ridiculous category.

You're basing a musical genre upon how you think they may or may not dress? That's retarded.

Okay.
Cool Accessory Rap: Flava Flav, Ghostface Killah, MF Doom

This group is based upon the fact that these rappers all have cool assecories.:rolleyes:

I also have a problem with "good message" rap. because it implies that other rap is "bad message" rap. Is NWA bad message rap? The world is a cold hard place. Sometimes reality isn't good. Sometimes you've got to bring attention to the ugliness. The fact that you label Krunk as having bad lyrics, and have northern rappers like Kweli and Mos Def as "good message" rap, is very biased against the south. There are plenty of krunk songs with "good messages". Krunk is more about the sound and the region, not per se the quality or substance of the lyrics.

That's my critique.
I was waiting for that post to happen from you....

When I said white boy rap I meant that not a lot of brothers really check for an Atmosphere(Slug is a white dude), Aesop Rock or Kool Keith album.... I know that is what you mainly listen to....I didnt mean it to be a knock on the style of music.....I listen to it(besides Aesop Rock)....Plus I am white....

Plus the bad message thing is this....If you talk about how bad it is that is cool....but dont talk about how you shoot up people and how you bang harder than anyone....that is just ridiculous....one song on an album is ok....not an entire album about it though.....

·
Registered
302 Posts

Kool Keith ?

You gotta be kidding ?

You seem to know nothing at all about Keith.

Also guys like Lif and C Rayz Walz are on Def Jux. And they don't make "White boy Rap".

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Azamad Bagatov</b>!

Kool Keith ?

You gotta be kidding ?

You seem to know nothing at all about Keith.
I know enough that he is garbage......I know you will say I dont know anything and I am stupid and all of that other junk.....but it wont matter.....Kool Keith will still rap about stupid stuff that I dont care about.....I wanna smack that stuid wig off his head.....

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
OK and enough with the whole "So and so aint white boy rap".......

I am changing my post from "white boy rap" to "nerd rap"....I like Jamel's description better....That way race stays out of this....

·
Registered
302 Posts
So ?

Neither Kool Keith, Mr. Lif nor C Rayz Walt make Nerd Rap.

The only Album of Keith you can call Nerd Rap is probably "Dr. Octagonecologyst" and partially "Black Elvis/Lost in Space".

But I don't see why Big Time Classic's like Sex Style, Dr. Doom, Spankmaster and actually every other Keith should be described as Nerd Rap.

Dont tell me I dont know what I am talking about

·
Registered
6,847 Posts

Just face it. In this case you have no idea what you actually are talking about.
:|

·
Registered
302 Posts

I know enough that he is garbage......I know you will say I dont know anything and I am stupid and all of that other junk.....but it wont matter.....Kool Keith will still rap about stupid stuff that I dont care about.....I wanna smack that stuid wig off his head.....
No, he ain't garbage.

He's more like the most creative and innovative rapper ever. Always ahead of the time...

When it comes to Rap and Hip Hop, you just don't know what you talk about.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts

When it comes to Rap and Hip Hop, you just don't know what you talk about.

You got me there.......I dont like Kool Keith so I dont know anything about hip hop....get outta here with that b.s......

This is when I stop responding to this thread.....I am sorry you have such a soft spot for Kool Keith in your heart....Have a good day.....Please come back...your views are always welcome here......

·
Registered
302 Posts
Look man...

I don't care about you, because I don't care about people who think C Rayz Walz is making Nerd Rap.

That is an outrageous statement

1 - 20 of 47 Posts