1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I thought that they were one of the more likely trade partners for Chicago if the Bulls did decide to go the route of trading Rose. There's a version of a Rose deal that makes sense for both sides, but it requires Chicago to value him accurately as the player he is now and not "former MVP Derrick Rose!". Considering Pau Gasol has openly stated his intention to sign in San Antonio and Joakim Noah is some combination of signing elsewhere and washed up anyway, Robin Lopez/Jose Calderon/Kyle O'Quinn for Derrick Rose shores up Chicago's center position and opens the way for them to draft one of Jackson/Baldwin at 14 while providing the Knicks with a stealth salary-dump (since Lopez and O'Quinn both play the position at which Porzingis is most effective going forward) that also makes Carmelo a little bit happier. There's a decent chance the Bulls want something close to A-list return for Rose though (pick swap in 17 plus their 2018 first, maybe more), which would be a terrible deal for the Knicks.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make more sense for Knicks if Bulls can offer a first round pick in the package

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I thought that they were one of the more likely trade partners for Chicago if the Bulls did decide to go the route of trading Rose. There's a version of a Rose deal that makes sense for both sides, but it requires Chicago to value him accurately as the player he is now and not "former MVP Derrick Rose!". Considering Pau Gasol has openly stated his intention to sign in San Antonio and Joakim Noah is some combination of signing elsewhere and washed up anyway, Robin Lopez/Jose Calderon/Kyle O'Quinn for Derrick Rose shores up Chicago's center position and opens the way for them to draft one of Jackson/Baldwin at 14 while providing the Knicks with a stealth salary-dump (since Lopez and O'Quinn both play the position at which Porzingis is most effective going forward) that also makes Carmelo a little bit happier. There's a decent chance the Bulls want something close to A-list return for Rose though (pick swap in 17 plus their 2018 first, maybe more), which would be a terrible deal for the Knicks.

Re: the bolded - Pau didn't say that. Marc said Pau should sign there. But either way, he's out the door.

If we trade Rose to NY, I don't want to take back salary like Robin Lopez. I'd rather have the cap space.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Re: the bolded - Pau didn't say that. Marc said Pau should sign there. But either way, he's out the door.

If we trade Rose to NY, I don't want to take back salary like Robin Lopez. I'd rather have the cap space.
I feel like Marc said it first, but Pau followed it up with some comments that more or less confirmed it. As far as cap space goes - I'm not sure Chicago can do better than Lopez for $13 million this summer (or next, if we're talking about just letting Rose expire rather than dumping him into open space this summer). Either way, if Chicago's looking keep Butler and rebuild on the fly around him rather than a full rebuild, I think they're going to look to get some pieces back for Rose if they can.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
The Knicks are going to be a mess until Carmelo's contract runs out. Might as well add Rose to the mix.
There is that - trading for Rose is about the Knicksiest thing the Knicks could do this summer. The saving grace there is just that he's on an expiring contract, so it can't really hurt the Knicks all that much.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Truthfully rose doesn't have any trade value a trade of Calderon for rose straight up after July's free agent frenzy seems fairest 2 point guards on ending deals that neither team wants. If the knicks strike out in free agency its worth pursuing.

He makes 21 million and was net negative last year

Even if you only go from December 10th. From which point he averaged 17.3 points on .449 fg. His offense isn't as good as his defense is bad and there is the not so small situation as the season went on he got better but the bulls got worse.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Truthfully rose doesn't have any trade value a trade of Calderon for rose straight up after July's free agent frenzy seems fairest 2 point guards on ending deals that neither team wants. If the knicks strike out in free agency its worth pursuing.

He makes 21 million and was net negative last year

Even if you only go from December 10th. From which point he averaged 17.3 points on .449 fg. His offense isn't as good as his defense is bad and there is the not so small situation as the season went on he got better but the bulls got worse.
I think Chicago will insist on getting more than just that back for Rose, if only to save face, and I also think the Knicks would want Chicago to take the Lopez/O'Quinn contracts in order to chase a big who fits better with Porzingis, possibly Horford. I feel like both teams could talk themselves into this trade being a first step to fielding a playoff team built around their star swingmen who should both probably be traded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts