Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a somewhat shocking move, the Cleveland Cavaliers have fired head coach Paul Silas.

"NewsChannel5's Chris Miller was told by Silas' son and assistant coach Steven Silas that Paul was fired before practice this morning. Steven Silas was also let go."

Assistant coach Brendan Malone has been promoted to interim head coach.

The cavaliers are currently on a three-game skid and have a 34-30 record this season.

http://www.newsnet5.com/sports/4302925/detail.html

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Big news, Silas wasn't really helping much anyway. I've pretty down on him lately.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I thought he was the GUY!

I thought he handled the responsibility pretty well. (Of having a player like LeBron) Maybe they expected a lot from him, and maybe its something internal..

Anyway, a fan like me wouldnt know... Good luck Cleveland and Silas...

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
I was pretty surprised they decided to fire him at this stage of the season.
Then again, the Cavs have really struggled since the All Star Break.
It's quite odd, considering that Paul Silas' teams usually do a lot better in the 2nd half of the season.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Silas isn't a good coach. His substitutions and X and O's were downright poor. I always though he was a good coach because those New Orleans/Charlotte teams of his did real well considering the circumstances they were under. Now I think it was the fact that those Hornets teams had a lot of talent. In Cleveland he simply looked outmatched.

I do give him credit for pushing Z and Gooden to become better players. Overall, Silas should have been fired but I don't like the move during the season. He hasn't been a disgrace so he should have been allowed to finish the season. I have a feeling the ineptness of the Cavs recently not just the losing but the way they have been losing and the his recent remarks about Boozer finally did him in

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Very questionable move to fire him this late in the season. Firing him during the offseason would have been a good idea, but there's always an adjustment period for a new coach. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland sink to seventh or eighth in the East and get swept in the first round.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
This is a disturbing trend. Dan Gilbert is doing too much too fast. And on a broad, league-wide spectrum, GMs are dumping their coaches and promoting assistants for the rest of the season. First, GMs need to reprimand themselves for making the mistake of hiring these so-called bad coaches in the first place. This is the stupidest idea ever. A head coach that may go 10-10 for the rest of the season, or an assistant that's gonna have a valid excuse to go 5-15. You keep the head coach and dump him after the season if you wish. But throwing in these interims for the remainder of the season is a bad idea. The team is now in LeBrons hands until a real coach is put in there.. not good to give him that much say at this point in his development. Cavs could fall out of the playoffs..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Next Coach=Flip Saunders?
He is from the Cleveland area, and it is a lucrative situation. Who wouldn't want to coach LeBron?

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Next coach = Phil Jackson?

Seriously though, I called this Paul Silas firing in the offseason, I was just wrong about the Cavaliers missing the playoffs. Now I have to find my post, since it's so rare that I'm right about things in the NBA.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
They just blew their hopes of getting far in the playoffs. The coach market is big this offseason, should have just waited till then. None of those unemployed coaches will join at this point in the season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SO exactly HOW many coach changes we've had this year?

Geez, at this rate, the Coach of the year will be the guy who doesn't get fired before April.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
PhillyPhanatic said:
Next coach = Phil Jackson?

Seriously though, I called this Paul Silas firing in the offseason, I was just wrong about the Cavaliers missing the playoffs. Now I have to find my post, since it's so rare that I'm right about things in the NBA.
Philly this is somewhat offtopic, but I think that is WIllie Green's favorite shirt. I saw him wearing the same one on Friday down in AC.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think this is a big mistake. They should have given him at LEAST one more season with an outside shooter to see what the team would be like. I would even give up the Raptors victory over the Cavs last night if it could get this guy his job back. This is a disturbing trend that's taking over the league, not everyone can win right away.

Geez.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After learning from a friend what it was Silas said about Boozer, I think he was on pretty tenuous ground to begin with. I agree that they should have done it after the season, but, sometimes, a shakeup like this is exactly what teams need. Now, you'll see guys try and step up so they can get into Malone's rotation, rather than be resigned to the fact that Silas is only going to give them a few minutes a night.

Look at Pavlovic. The Cavs did well with him in the starting lineup, and rather than keep him in the rotation, he fell to almost 12th on the bench. Same with Lucious Harris. And these are two guys who maybe in a slump, but, to put Jiri Welsch ahead of them? That's criminal.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts