Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it would be worth making a run at Brendan Haywood this offseason?

-He fits our needs as a tough rebounding centre who can take the pressure off of Bosh and clear some space.
-He's got a long cheap contract
-Both sides seem unhappy in Washington, Wizards will likely be motivated to move him this offseason.

I'm not sure what we could offer, but I think it is something that might be worth consideration.

Also, another guy from Washington who interests me is Andray Blatche. I think he's a FA this offseason too, really nice skill to size ratio.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Washington locked him up to a long term deal a little while ago. They want him to be their starting centre going forward.

Etan Thomas might be a more realistic trade target. He's not young and his contract isn't small but he's a tough interior player with shotblocking and rebounding skill--what's not to like?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Brendan Haywood would be fantastic. Even though he has stone hands, he's definately tough down low and a good defensive presence. Furthermore, he's young, athletic (so he can run with our boys), and locked up for a good price. That being said, I can't see Washington giving him up shy of our first round pick. Too much IMO.

Etan Thomas isn't too bad, but his contract is too much. He's only a year older than Haywood which isn't bad, but not as athletic. I'd look into the FA market before making a trade for him.

Andray Blatche is exactly what we don't need. The kid has decent potential for a second rounder, but Monta Ellis is more intriguing and a better fit (if we don't re-sign James).

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
speedythief said:
Washington locked him up to a long term deal a little while ago. They want him to be their starting centre going forward.

Etan Thomas might be a more realistic trade target. He's not young and his contract isn't small but he's a tough interior player with shotblocking and rebounding skill--what's not to like?
It seems to me that they're not too sure about who they want. Check this storyfrom recently.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
My concern about Brendan Haywood is his work ethic. Having followed his game since his years at UNC, I have seen him rely on other players instead of playing to his fullest. Toronto needs to bring a centre to the team that shows ambition, not a project. Don't do it Raptors!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The article doesnt' suggest they are unhappy with either player. Just looking to shake things up a bit.

Haywood would be perfect for us but no way the Wiz move him. They can't replace him. Etan is OK but he is only playing very limited minutes for WAS. With that big contract and low minutes you know something is wrong. Never been the same player since he blew out his knee.

Early this season Haywood just abused Bosh inside, on both ends. He is exactly the type of player we need next to CB4. The work ethic thing is not an issue. You never get 82 strong games from a C. You have to live with the ups and downs of guys like Mihm, Blount, Currie, Dampier, etc because over the course of the whole season they help you a lot more than they hurt you. Utah did just fine with Greg Ostertag for many years.

Kwame continues to play better and better for the Lakers. The kid is a great one on one defender. Lousy offensive game but huge athletic body and very good rebounder.

I am going to start a thread on rebounders.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
if hoffa can be half the man we expect him to be, i think he's fine as our big body down low.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
aizn said:
if hoffa can be half the man we expect him to be, i think he's fine as our big body down low.
i hate to burst your bubble but at this point his expectations are minimal. i dont think there is anyway he plays for this team after his contract is up unless he starts paying the Raps to stay on the roster.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Can someone please site how many examples there are of successful teams with highly paid centres (similar to etan thomas or higher) whose primary roll is rebounding and toughness.

It just doesn't strike me as the most efective blue print, see brian grant, antonio davis, scott pollard, Theo Ratliff, Kwame Brown.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Flush said:
Can someone please site how many examples there are of successful teams with highly paid centres (similar to etan thomas or higher) whose primary roll is rebounding and toughness.
Uh, the Pistons? Ben Wallace is the epitome of rebounding and toughness. The Mavs are another example with Dampier.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flush said:

It just doesn't strike me as the most efective blue print, see brian grant, antonio davis, scott pollard, Theo Ratliff, Kwame Brown.
Not a centre, but the Bulls seemed to do okay with Rodman having primary, secondary and tertiary roles of defence, rebounding and being a *******.

I think we've got two very talented scorers at the forward position, and MoPete is becoming a very solid scorer and quite possibly the most underrated 2 in the league. Maybe we could use a guy who could slow the other team down a bit or grab an offensive board or two to give us those few extra possessions per game.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ballyhoo said:
Uh, the Pistons? Ben Wallace is the epitome of rebounding and toughness. The Mavs are another example with Dampier.
Uh, Ben wallace is widely considered one of the most under paid players in the NBA. So he can't be considered 'highly paid'. Dampier is a very good example...maybe the only one.

And I will get flamed for this, but I don't think Ben wallace could single handedly turn around a poor franchise. He is a GREAT roll player, but the success of that team lies in the group effort and distribution of talent. Take Ben out and they are still an excellent team.

I value rebounding and toughness as much as anyone, but I'm just not sure why so many people are willing to overpay for it. There doesn't seem to be a precedent for success with this approach.

All of this is off topic. I think if Haywood could be had, given his small pricetag, it would be worth looking into. However I question his effort.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Flush said:
Uh, Ben wallace is widely considered one of the most under paid players in the NBA. So he can't be considered 'highly paid'. Dampier is a very good example...maybe the only one.

And I will get flamed for this, but I don't think Ben wallace could single handedly turn around a poor franchise. He is a GREAT roll player, but the success of that team lies in the group effort and distribution of talent. Take Ben out and they are still an excellent team.

I value rebounding and toughness as much as anyone, but I'm just not sure why so many people are willing to overpay for it. There doesn't seem to be a precedent for success with this approach.

All of this is off topic. I think if Haywood could be had, given his small pricetag, it would be worth looking into. However I question his effort.
see Foyle, Adonal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.