Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berry available

http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/04/1/27/18096459.cfm

"Several factors suggest the Sonics might consider trading Barry. First, he has obvious value as the league's third-best 3-point shooter (.446 percent), while also contributing 10.7 points and a team-high 5.5 assists per game. Second, rival teams looking to clear space under the NBA salary cap would like that Barry is in the final year of a six-year contract that pays him $5.4 million in 2003-04. Third, Seattle has an abundance of wing players - shooting guards and small forwards - and would be thrilled to acquire a bruising big man. Lastly, he is 32 and the oldest player by four years on a team intent on getting younger"

How about Davis and Blount for Berry, Booth and filler?

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I doubt Barry would be enthusiastic about coming to Chicago after his last stint as a Bull.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I seriously doubt it, but I love the idea.

In order to get them to take back salary, however, I think they'd probably want to throw in a guy like Calvin Booth (three years left) and we'd have to throw in a guy like ERob (two years left). Working the salaries this way gives them more flexibility and less payroll for under achieving guys down the road. I'd offer them this deal and pray they take it:

Barry, Radmanovic, Potapenko, Booth

for

JYD, ERob, Fizer, Blount

----

On the face of things, this looks like the Sonics are giving up too much, but they seem to be to be getting a nice deal.

Barry for JYD is a push in terms of talent, I think, but they play different roles. Barry plays a role we need, JYD plays a role they need. They have to take on JYD's contract, however, which is somewhat overpaid.

To make up for this and the addition of Radmanovic, we have to give them something really nice. And what that something really nice is- is cash.

Potapenko is due to make $6M next year. That can be wiped off the books by taking on Fizer and Blount (who also happen to be better players than Potapenko and Booth), who's contracts can both the ended at the end of the season.

Booth has 3 years left on his deal after this season, the last year paying $6.8M. ERob has only 2 years after this, and swapping him for Booth would save the Sonics a net of like $4-5M over the course of their contracts.

In short, the ERob, Fizer, Blount part of the deal would save the Sonics about $10-11M. In return for that large benefit, they have to take JYD (who's actually a pretty nice player) and give us Barry and Rad.

The net effect is that it gives them quite a bit more toughness down the stretch.

1- AD, Ridnour
2- Allen, Flip, Frahm
3- Rashard, ERob, Sesay
4- JYD, Evans, Collison
5- James, Blount

We, on the other hand, get a couple guys who might turn us from a crappy team into at least a respectable one. Adding two starting quality players (Barry and Vlad Rad) might be enough to let us reach the critical mass of winning more than we lose.

1- Kirk, Rick, (Barry), Jay
2- Jamal, Barry, Gill
3- Rad, Dupree, Pip, Jeffries
4- Tyson, AD
5- Curry, Booth, Potapenko

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I would be thrilled if we could pull off Mike's deal. A decent 3 and a pure shooting off guard -- both needs.

And we don't give up any C's.

But while they do get some quality in this trade, there's no sizzle in what Seattle would get. I doubt many Sonics fans would be thrilled.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
I seriously doubt it, but I love the idea.

In order to get them to take back salary, however, I think they'd probably want to throw in a guy like Calvin Booth (three years left) and we'd have to throw in a guy like ERob (two years left). Working the salaries this way gives them more flexibility and less payroll for under achieving guys down the road. I'd offer them this deal and pray they take it:

Barry, Radmanovic, Potapenko, Booth

for

JYD, ERob, Fizer, Blount

----

On the face of things, this looks like the Sonics are giving up too much, but they seem to be to be getting a nice deal.

Barry for JYD is a push in terms of talent, I think, but they play different roles. Barry plays a role we need, JYD plays a role they need. They have to take on JYD's contract, however, which is somewhat overpaid.

To make up for this and the addition of Radmanovic, we have to give them something really nice. And what that something really nice is- is cash.

Potapenko is due to make $6M next year. That can be wiped off the books by taking on Fizer and Blount (who also happen to be better players than Potapenko and Booth), who's contracts can both the ended at the end of the season.

Booth has 3 years left on his deal after this season, the last year paying $6.8M. ERob has only 2 years after this, and swapping him for Booth would save the Sonics a net of like $4-5M over the course of their contracts.

In short, the ERob, Fizer, Blount part of the deal would save the Sonics about $10-11M. In return for that large benefit, they have to take JYD (who's actually a pretty nice player) and give us Barry and Rad.

The net effect is that it gives them quite a bit more toughness down the stretch.

1- AD, Ridnour
2- Allen, Flip, Frahm
3- Rashard, ERob, Sesay
4- JYD, Evans, Collison
5- James, Blount

We, on the other hand, get a couple guys who might turn us from a crappy team into at least a respectable one. Adding two starting quality players (Barry and Vlad Rad) might be enough to let us reach the critical mass of winning more than we lose.

1- Kirk, Rick, (Barry), Jay
2- Jamal, Barry, Gill
3- Rad, Dupree, Pip, Jeffries
4- Tyson, AD
5- Curry, Booth, Potapenko
I find it very hard to believe Sonics go for it.I'd be the happiest guy if it did though.take it further,I'm not sure the Sonics would do it even if we throw in our 1st rounder unprotected.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bullet</b>!

I find it very hard to believe Sonics go for it.I'd be the happiest guy if it did though.take it further,I'm not sure the Sonics would do it even if we throw in our 1st rounder unprotected.
I disagree. I think if we threw in our first round pick, unprotected (which we can't do anyway -- Thanks, Bryce Drew) they would be crazy not to take the package.

In that case though, we'd pay way, way too much for what we got in return. That pick is valuable.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
I would be thrilled if we could pull off Mike's deal. A decent 3 and a pure shooting off guard -- both needs.

And we don't give up any C's.

But while they do get some quality in this trade, there's no sizzle in what Seattle would get. I doubt many Sonics fans would be thrilled.
No sizzle fo' shizzle my nizzle!

Rick Sund doesn't seem like a sizzle guy to me... maybe he'd just be happy with the $11 million bucks :)

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I've heard it mentioned before. Why cant we trade our 1st round pick unprotected, Bryce Drew?

I'm not saying I'd want to, just wondering why we cant.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
I've heard it mentioned before. Why cant we trade our 1st round pick unprotected, Bryce Drew?

I'm not saying I'd want to, just wondering why we cant.
Yep, we acquired Drew for a conditional pick. To make a long story short, if our pick is like 1-20, we keep it and give Houston 2 second rounders instead. If the pick is 21-29, we give it to Houston instead of the two 2nd rounders.

Now what the implications of that are, I've never heard a convincing answer. The basic problem is that we can't trade the pick unconditionally because we already owe it to Houston under some conditions.

However, I don't see why that condition prevents us from trading the pick conditionally as long as the conditions we trade it under don't overlap the other conditions. That is, I don't see why we couldn't offer our 1st rounder if it falls 1-20 this year, and then if we somehow manage to scrape up to 21 (in which case we owe our pick to Houston), we offer our 1st rounder in 2006 (we couldn't offer our 2005 pick in this situation because you can't give up your first rounder two years in a row). Of course since we have about a .000001% chance of moving up that high in the draft order, the promise of our "conditional" 1st rounder would almost certainly be a promise for our pick this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts