Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent article, Seattle has hinted that instead of losing Berry to free agency, he they would rather trade. Seattle is in Terrible need of a decent inside Presence!!! There is speculation that they would be more than willing to accomidate a team who is looking to make cap room, (Brents Barry is set to be a free agent next year). So my question is this.... Why doesn't the Suns pull the trigger on a trade like this. Heres why it works for both teams:

Sonics: Are looking to go young, but they don't have any cap room. Barry is making 5.4 this year. They are scarred because they have SOOO many SF and SG, that they can afford to trade Barry, yet no legit Big man is making 5 a year. Except White. Though not dominant in their system he could Flourish, and if not, the next season he is a free agent!

SUNS: We need to sign a big time free agent. We dont have money at the moment, but with a few moves, we very well could. This one in particular will give us an additional 5 off the books. Giving us around 11-14 million in Cap Room. To sweeten the deal for them we could even offer them one of our first round picks. By making this trade, we also will puit Lampe in a position to sink or swim, and almost certain he WILL thrive!!! We want a big name, we CAN GET ONE!, but we need to get ridf of Eisley and/or White, and this is the erfect way to do it!!

Let me know how ya'll feelk, and if this is a legit option as I see it!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
The Sonics have three average centers already. They don't need to add a below-average one to the mix.
 

·
Incognasho
Joined
·
4,061 Posts
As long as Seattle feels they're in the playoff race, I don't think there's any way they deal Barry.
 

·
kiss my grits
Joined
·
18,629 Posts
Seattle has reportedly had interest in Juwan Howard. We might see Howard + others (maybe Giricek) for something like Barry and Jerome James ...
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Barry would be a nice compliment for McGrady. Giricek looked like he'd nicely fit the "Barry" role...but has failed this season.
 

·
kiss my grits
Joined
·
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
Barry would be a nice compliment for McGrady. Giricek looked like he'd nicely fit the "Barry" role...but has failed this season.
I think a Barry/James for Howard/Giricek would help Orlando quite a bit. Not sure if the salaries work or if Seattle would do it, but I did hear this one awhile back as a rumor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
These trades have all been a joke. Even with the classic big vs small, Barry is SOOO much better than most of the guys listed such as perennial scrubs Jahidi White or Corey Blount.

The Sonics are not looking for warm bodies. They have a crappy frontcourt that goes 3 deep at center. They want a quality low post presence, so I think the trade would have to include either Lewis or Radmonovic for a good 4.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!


I think a Barry/James for Howard/Giricek would help Orlando quite a bit. Not sure if the salaries work or if Seattle would do it, but I did hear this one awhile back as a rumor.
Throw in Garrity and it works salary-wise. This trade involves my 2 favorite teams actually, and I'd be in favor of it from an Orlando point of view for sure, but I'm not sure from a Seattle point of view. I'm not totally against it, but I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable making a playoff push lead by Antonio Daniels and Luke Ridnour running the point. Having Howard would be nice, and the trade makes sense, I'm just not sure if I think a trade would be the best thing for the team right now. I guess if Barry really does want out, then it's best to not keep an unhappy player around. I don't, I can't make up my mind on this one from a Seattle standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
Orlando trades: PF Juwan Howard (15.3 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 34.9 minutes)
SG Gordan Giricek (10.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.7 apg in 29.6 minutes)
PG Shammond Williams (5.4 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 16.2 minutes)
Orlando receives: PF Vladimir Radmanovic (12.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.2 apg in 32.6 minutes)
PF Reggie Evans (2.9 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 0.2 apg in 16.7 minutes)
SG Brent Barry (10.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.5 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -4.5 ppg, +2.5 rpg, and +2.2 apg.

Seattle trades: PF Vladimir Radmanovic (12.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.2 apg in 32.6 minutes)
PF Reggie Evans (2.9 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 0.2 apg in 16.7 minutes)
SG Brent Barry (10.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.5 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Seattle receives: PF Juwan Howard (15.3 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 46 games)
SG Gordan Giricek (10.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.7 apg in 38 games)
PG Shammond Williams (5.4 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 29 games)
Change in team outlook: +4.5 ppg, -2.5 rpg, and -2.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Throw in a pick or two on either side to balance it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,839 Posts
How about this?

Houston trades: SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 39.4 minutes)
Houston receives: SG Brent Barry (10.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.5 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, -0.8 rpg, and +2.2 apg.

Utah trades: PF Keon Clark (2.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
Utah receives: SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 44 games)
Change in team outlook: +13.3 ppg, +0.8 rpg, and +2.8 apg.

Seattle trades: SG Brent Barry (10.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.5 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Seattle receives: PF Keon Clark (2.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 2 games)
Change in team outlook: -8.7 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and -5.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
JarvisHayes24, if the Sonics management thought they could get Ratliff for Barry, Murray, and one of their three current centers I bet they would do it. But would the Hawks do it? They would dump $5.5 mil in Barry's salary. Murray is a legit combo guard who is stuck behind Ray Allen. But to make a deal work the Hawks would have to take Jerome James. His is the least expensive salary of their centers, and it expires after next season.
Many Sonics fans believe a low post power forward is what they should try and get. But unless it's an expiring contract, then next season when Nick Collison plays, plus Radmanovic, there won't be any room at that position. Ratliff could play power forward for Seattle this season, and next season he could play center. And since Collison played a fair bit of center at Kansas, ala Raef Lafrentz, they could have a nice three man rotation between the Power forward and center spots with Ratliff, Collison, and Radmanovic. It makes some sense for Seattle, but again, does it for Atlanta?
Oh, by the way, I left out a small detail. Barry fractured his finger against the Mavs last night and will be out for around six weeks. Does the salary dump still look good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Re: How about this?

Originally posted by <b>stevemc</b>!
Houston trades: SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 39.4 minutes)
Houston receives: SG Brent Barry (10.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.5 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, -0.8 rpg, and +2.2 apg.

Utah trades: PF Keon Clark (2.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.5 minutes)
Utah receives: SG Cuttino Mobley (15.3 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 44 games)
Change in team outlook: +13.3 ppg, +0.8 rpg, and +2.8 apg.

Seattle trades: SG Brent Barry (10.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 5.5 apg in 31.1 minutes)
Seattle receives: PF Keon Clark (2.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 2 games)
Change in team outlook: -8.7 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and -5.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Any thoughts?
Personally I love this one. If Houston or Seattle throws in a draft pick, Utah might want to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,839 Posts
Re: Re: How about this?

Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!


Personally I love this one. If Houston or Seattle throws in a draft pick, Utah might want to do it.
Houston trades: SG Cuttino Mobley and 2nd Round Draft Pick
Houston receives: SG Brent Barry

Utah trades: PF Keon Clark
Utah receives: SG Cuttino Mobley, HOU 2nd, and SEA 2nd


Seattle trades: SG Brent Barry and 2nd Round Draft Pick
Seattle receives: PF Keon Clark

Everyone Wins in this deal, thats what I like about it.
Brent in Htown allows Houston to play Stevie at 2 like everyone has been saying he should be playing for years now.

Utah gets some added scoring in Cat, along with some 2nd rounders to help the rebuilding process

Seattle gets a big who can play in the West and who can run the floor.

The only reason I bad thing is these teams are all in the West and probably wouldn't want to help one an other. Other then that I really think this should happen. This trade is so good I think it just might need its own thread. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
No. I meant a first-round draft pick. Utah is getting very stingy with their cap room these days. In order for them to swallow Mobley's contract (not big, but long-term), I believe they would love a first-round pick. Heck, some other teams will probably trade an expiring contract PLUS a first-rounder for Clark, like the rumored Gugliotta-Clark deal. So in order to beat other offers, a first-rounder is definitely needed. Utah is in a win-win situation here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
No. I meant a first-round draft pick. Utah is getting very stingy with their cap room these days. In order for them to swallow Mobley's contract (not big, but long-term), I believe they would love a first-round pick. Heck, some other teams will probably trade an expiring contract PLUS a first-rounder for Clark, like the rumored Gugliotta-Clark deal. So in order to beat other offers, a first-rounder is definitely needed. Utah is in a win-win situation here.
F'it I'd throw in a 1st rounder to land a much needed piece of the puzzle. But what do I know, I'm just a fan. :rolleyes:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top