Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I find this wierd. The Barry family has alot of tension towards the C's, I dunno why Brent would come herre?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
well

I would like to see that happen.

Barry can shoot lights out. That is one piece this team could need. After that, we go Low-Post.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Who doesn't like Barry?

He is a 6-7, Peja-like shooting, PG.

Oh yeah, we already have Welsch.

I would trade McCarty, Blount, James and a 2nd Rounder for Barry and fodder anyday.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
yeap

Originally posted by <b>Celts11</b>!
Who doesn't like Barry?

I would trade McCarty, Blount, James and a 2nd Rounder for Barry and fodder anyday.
Agreed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Celts11</b>!
Who doesn't like Barry?

No doubt... me too.

That would mean we would aquire him w/o giving up Mills.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Let's be realistic....

The only way they give up Barry, who is also an expiring contract, is if they get post players OR expiring contracts.

It's either Mills or end of discussion, period.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Let's be realistic....

Originally posted by <b>Truth34</b>!
The only way they give up Barry, who is also an expiring contract, is if they get post players OR expiring contracts.

It's either Mills or end of discussion, period.
Does Baker count?

just kiddin'.

Btw... what's the Barry familiy's history of being anti-Celts?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Dad and Brother

Dad hates 'em, I think, just from watching him broadcast Celtics games.

Brother drafted by Celtics, refused to sign, eventually had his rights traded elsewhere.

I don't think that has any bearing on Brent, though. Especially if he thought he'd be the PG for the next few years alongside Pierce, Jiri, Ricky, Raef, and a couple of promising rookies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wonder if Brent gets along with his dad. Man, I couldn't imagine being raised by a bigger *****. I catch his radio show out here in SF every so often... what a jerkoff.

Imagine how well this team could run though....

Banks
Barry
Welsch
Davis
Pierce

Any combo of 4 of those guys and a center.

Though that center would have to be someone like Ben Wallace, given nobody else can play tough post defense. Pierce maybe, but he's not going to be gaurding Jermaine O'Neil any time soon.

Weird that Ainge is pushing hard for Barry.

Makes me think that one of Davis, Welsch, or more likely (against my wishes) Pierce may be shipped off for some help down low.

No masking. ---agoo

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Wait a second. Barry has a broken finger and won't be back until March 15 at the earliest, and then his contract expires and he's an unrestricted free agent. So we're going to do this big deal to have Barry in a Celtics uniform for what-- a week and a half? Seems like a waste of time to me.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
are you assuming the c's dont make the playoffs?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Good point, John

The question is, how badly do we want him, and if we don't move will somebody else get him?

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheTruth34</b>!
are you assuming the c's dont make the playoffs?
I will only be happy if:

We make the playoffs the right way: Rebounding and Running and Cutting.

or

We Completly Let the Season Go: Better chance in the Lottery to trade up..

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Re: Good point, John

Originally posted by <b>Truth34</b>!
The question is, how badly do we want him, and if we don't move will somebody else get him?
So what if they do? He's gone at the end of the year. His agent, Arne Tellum, wasnts 4 years at the MLE. In 4 years Barry will be 35 years old. Do you really want to trade Mills for him, have him around for a week (or two weeks if they manage to get into the playoffs) and then see him walk? Makes no sense.

Id rather use Mills to get Dale Davis or another player who is healthy and might actually help for the next year or so.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Wait a second. Barry has a broken finger and won't be back until March 15 at the earliest, and then his contract expires and he's an unrestricted free agent. So we're going to do this big deal to have Barry in a Celtics uniform for what-- a week and a half? Seems like a waste of time to me.
If the trade is straight for Chris Mills (and maybe a 2nd round pick) it can be valuable. Either way, Mills won't be back next season and won't play this one.

But, I think we desperately need a post player (rugged power forward). I'd rather use Mills on a trade for some player like that.

Barry, is a very smart basketball player. He would be a plus to any team.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much of a leader is Barry? Could he contribute even if he's not playing? They need a vocal leader and motivator. Don't know too much about Barry to say that he is one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mrsister</b>!
How much of a leader is Barry? Could he contribute even if he's not playing? They need a vocal leader and motivator. Don't know too much about Barry to say that he is one.
Found some tidbits off of nba.com...
http://www.nba.com/sonics/news/SeasoninReview_Brent_Barry-75562-51.html

General Manager Rick Sund on Brent Barry:

On last season: "I think Brent’s a real solid player. He was hampered this season by injuries; to his credit, he tried to play through them all, but he was never really at 100%. I’ve always felt he’s a more effective all-around player as a point guard than as a two, but he shoots well enough to be a two. A year ago, I thought he was the glue that held us together. If his health is ready, he can have a very good year next year."

Also from this article:

Don’t underestimate Barry’s intangible contributions. He routinely takes new players under his wing to help them get acclimated to the city of Seattle. Barry was only officially made a captain after the trade, but unofficially he’s been the Sonics leader the last two years.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
I think its hard enough for a guy to be thrown in and instantly be dubbed as the leader, note how poorly Paul is adjusting to the role. It would be damn near impossible for a guy to be thrown in, but not actually play due to injury and be a leader. If we get Barry, its so we have the inside track on retaining his services for next season. Not because he'll be a leader for us this season.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts