Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So I didnt watch the game but as I saw it in the 2nd Quarter he was doing great.. 3rd he started picking up fouls, had to sit out most of the 4th with his fifth foul but what were your thoughts on him? Just curious!

What it sounds like is that Cook can play 20 minutes less and still be better than Horace Grant (Ok so Horace had 5 more boards, but played 22 more minutes).. :laugh:

6 Points (2-3 FG, 2-2 FT) *Career High*
3 Rebounds (2 Offensive) *Career High*
3 Assists *Career High*
1 Steal *Ties Career High*
17 Minutes *Career High*
5 Fouls *Career High*

Not a bad night but those fouls can be scary as he usually gets quite a bit a game as I know.. Guess he can only improve those :)

Btw, does anyone have a picture of the Cook dunk (probably not) ;)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Just about any time you get a rookie in there playing inconsistent minutes the way Cook does the refs are gonna call him for every foul that occurs, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I think he's looking better than the short time he played in the preseason. Only thing I don't like about him so far is that he doesn't go after rebounds with any intensity. He's PF and he should be hitting the boards with a vengeance.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Medvedenko4Life</b>!
I thought he was supposed to have a good shot?

They were calling about as good as an old robert hoory before the season.
his shot is flat, but they go in. He needs more arc on it, it looks like a bullet when he releases it.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
He's solid, I still think Lakers should have picked Barbosa though, but I guess they figure Payton will be around for a while

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cook Line At the Half:

10 pts, 4-7 FG, 2-2 FT, 1 Board, 13 Minutes

Lakers losing 62-48 @ Halftime

Not bad.. I wish everyone would quit complaining on this pick

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rookie Brian Cook had his best game as a pro (16 points in 30 minutes).

Cook vs. Minnesota
Rebounds: 4
Assists: 0
Blocks: 1
Steals: 1
Minutes: 30

Great job, just has to work on his rebounding :)

Season Averages:
PPG: 6.0 (24 Pts)
RPG: 2.0 (8 Boards)
APG: .75 (3 Assists)
BPG: .25 (1 Block)
SPG: 1.0 (4 Steals)
MPG: 13.3
ToPG: 0.0 (0 Turnovers)
FG %: .526 (10-19)
3PT %: .000 (0-1)
FT %: 1.000 (4-4)

Not bad for only 4 games right?

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
GOD I HATE TAPE DELAYS
Ya it sucks... i wanna watch the game but im too impatient... so i just look it up, ruins the game...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well 16 pts...im not complaining...Cook is a great player and i believe he could be a starter in the future...hopefully very very soon :)....Rookies this year seem to be making alot of impact in the NBA and Brian Cook is one of those rookies

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Id have to see him play consistent before i can say hes a great rookie, as you know Slava can have a 20 point night and then a 2 point night, doesnt make him good...

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly, Brian needs to step up again tonight but this time grab some more boards and help this team out more.. If he can do good again tonight wether it be starting or off the bench, maybe just maybe the Lakers could win a game.. 'Melo and Cook.. Some bright players in the future (Carmelo is now)

"Had I known that Cook,Walton and,Rush were going to be such a mystery to the Wolves I would have started the game with them." - Phil after the game

We'll see! :laugh:

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Brian34Cook</b>!
"Had I known that Cook,Walton and,Rush were going to be such a mystery to the Wolves I would have started the game with them." - Phil after the game

We'll see! :laugh:
BS! PJ will ride the veterans until they are complete failures or can't contribute anymore. The way we're working Horace right now the old mule will be dead come April. Fisher will get EVERY opportunity to find his stroke again so you can count on more 1-10 and 2-9 games. Hopefully he sees the light. Out of the youngsters, I think Cook and Rush should play more. I wouldn't play Walton, Pargo, and Sampson much. If Medvedenko continues to be a matador on defense then I'd give Cook more minutes. If Fisher continues to struggle then I'd give Rush more minutes. If Fox doesn't play well and George continues to stink up the joint then I'd let Russell play more. That's just the way I'd do it.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Cook is a smarter, less athletic version of Slava. He's really a finesse shooter, and not much else, although he can become a good player. He will have his days like yesterday where he is hot, and he will have his days where he is cold (like Slava yesterday). But I don't really see the point of having he and Slava on the same team at the same position. They are about the same age, both have unorthodox shots, both play suspect defense, both need to grab more rebounds. Slava is more athletic, with more potential. Cook is smarter, and a better fit in the offense.

Our starting lineup while Shaq/Malone are out should be:

C-Slava
PF-Cook
SF-George
SG-Kobe
PG-Payton

Rush should be getting major minutes in relief of George. I don't understand why GP is complaining; he has done nothing to show he deserves more minutes, but I don't really want to see Fish on the floor either.

Horace is terrible. Play Sampson instead.

BTW, I don't have a link, but the rumor is that the Lakers have cut Pargo.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Cook seems like a solid finesse player, but there always seems to be a kind of timid look in his eyes. I don't know if he has the killer instinct to be a solid contributor in this league. I really hope he proves me wrong.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wilt_The_Stilt</b>!
BTW, I don't have a link, but the rumor is that the Lakers have cut Pargo.
I thought he had a guarunteed contract through the end of the year...they'd have to waive him.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
"Soft" tag buried: Cook tussles with Camby (PIC)

"Brian Cook of the Lakers, left, and Marcus Camby of the Nuggets are separated by teammates after a tussle during the third quarter on Wednesday night. In the second quarter Camby suffered a corneal abrasion from a stray Cook elbow, but played the second half."

Nice seeing him not back down from Marcus last night.. Also, maybe Malone is teaching him some toughness as for backing down to other players and stuff... :cool:

Vs. Denver (Jan 7th): 4 pts (1-8), 2-2 FT, 8 boards, 4 blocks, 1 dime, 1 steal, 25 min

1 - 20 of 57 Posts