Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/12/14/unplugged-vince-carter-talks-about-aging-in-the-nba-and-his-future/

I would love to see him back in Toronto.

On helping young players now: “I think I have enough appreciation from some of the young guys [for them] to trust what I’ve been through, what I’ve seen. We all help each other. I’m still learning. I’m still making some bad decisions sometimes. I’m all for the constructive criticism from my teammates as well.
On returning to Toronto: “It’s always different coming here than it is going back to Jersey or even Orlando. Orlando’s home. I have family there. But it’s something I still get excited about. I want to come out here and showcase my talent. Every time, the first thing [I do] when I walk in here is look up and remember it started right there, February 20, 1999 when I was able to make the first shot in [Air Canada Centre] history for some of you guys that are new here. Look it up. That’s something I’ll never forget.”
On Sam Mitchell saying Carter didn’t demand a trade: “It’s already been a question that’s been asked. You’re beating on a dead horse, in my opinion. I’d prefer to move on. That was nipped in the bud then for that reason. It was never like that. There have been so many, I think, miscommunications throughout the course of eight, nine years or whatever. I’m taking the stand of being silent, remaining a basketball player and walking a straight line, doing what I’m supposed to do, going where this path has taken me to this day, when I’m still able to be a basketball player in the NBA: an older guy, but I’m thankful for the opportunity. I’ll never forget where it all started. I think that was the biggest misconception: that I hated being here, hated coming back here, never wanted to be here, which was never true. It’s a great feeling to hear it come from other people now. When I said it before, it was like BS. You know what I’m saying? It’s kind of like beating a dead horse now. I think it’s out there from other people. Now it’s like, ‘OK, maybe he didn’t mean it like that or mean it that way.’ So be it.”

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Ah, yes, this is how low we've sunk. We're drunk dialing old girlfriends.

Does anyone remember Kenny Anderson? Do you know that at the tail-end of his career he waited by the phone expecting us to call?

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
There's an old joke about Canadians, actually it might be about some other people reapplied to Canadians--when you step on a Canadian's foot he says sorry.

Thankfully one of the better qualities of Toronto sports fans (they have a few!) is that they can hold a solid grudge. Kudos to the fans who showed up to boo that so-and-so tonight.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
He is the greatest Raptor ever. And he did put Toronto on the map.

He also faked injuries.

He also started refusing to dunk to try to prove a point.

He also forced his way out of town and talked bad about the franchise in the process.

And to top it all off, he's also not going to improve your team in any meaningful way at this point. And you want to bring him in as a mentor?

"Hey Demar, keep putting up stats man. You keep playing like this and some day you'll get to go to a real team. In America."

Yea, no thanks. No one should forget just how good Vince was in his prime, and how exciting it was to be a TO fan when it was all going down. But that doesn't somehow take a magic eraser to what he did afterward.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
No I know it's just the "putting us on the map" bit is a curiosity for me. Something I hear almost exclusively from Raptors fans about Vince. I don't hear it about other players and franchises. I guess I don't know what it means. He made us cool?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
No I know it's just the "putting us on the map" bit is a curiosity for me. Something I hear almost exclusively from Raptors fans about Vince. I don't hear it about other players and franchises. I guess I don't know what it means. He made us cool?
Relevant.

Just like Reggie put the Pacers on the map (even though we're off it now).

Its kind of like the player who comes into a franchise and makes everyone else who isn't a fan of the team stop and pay attention.

Like Lebron and Cleveland. Prior to that I was like "Oh, hey, Andre Miller.... awesome."

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
If your team is no good and there's no exciting players on the team to watch, people forget about you pretty fast.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Vince made us relevant, no doubt about that. He then began a cycle that saw us go from franchise on the up to a laughing stock. His demand for a trade put us in a horrible situation and we executed poorly and the shit storm has just spiraled from that point.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
I picture Zo on his couch watching television and his wife comes in and tells him to put out the garbage. He puts his hand on his kidney and moans, and his wife tells him to forget it and takes it out herself. When she leaves the room he snickers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts