Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joe Smith chuckled when teammate Andrew Bogut re-entered the game on Wednesday night, looking only a bit like Zorro while wearing a makeshift mask.

Bogut suffered a broken nose late in the third quarter when he took an inadvertent elbow from Philadelphia guard Allen Iverson and will have surgery on it this morning. The masked 7-foot rookie returned in the final period and helped the Bucks to a 108-97 victory at the Bradley Center.

"I had to laugh a little bit when he came out of the locker room," Smith said. "Playing in a mask like that takes some time to get used to. You could tell when he first went back in the game, his peripheral vision and everything was thrown off a little bit.

"I think he did a good job of adjusting and doing what he needed to do to make the plays."

Bogut finished with nine points and nine rebounds in a solid 23-minute effort, as the Bucks' frontcourt dominated the 76ers. Smith also had a stellar performance, knocking down his medium-range jumper and finishing with 18 points and 13 rebounds.

Smith praised Bogut's effort in returning to the game with 10 minutes 53 seconds left in the final quarter. Moments after his return, Bogut threw down a dunk on an assist from point guard Mo Williams.

A few minutes later, Bogut tipped in a Michael Redd miss to give the Bucks a 92-88 lead, and the big man was fouled and converted a three-point play. Bogut rebounded another Redd miss to push the Bucks' margin to 99-90 with 3:12 to go.

"That just shows how much heart he has," Smith said. "We're down in the paint a lot. It happened once, and it could happen again in the course of the game. For him to be able to stick his nose back in there, that's something that shows he's a tough kid."

Bogut said he would be fitted with a mask for future games, one that should resemble the mask worn by Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton.

"It didn't hurt," said Bogut, who indicated referee Luis Grillo told him that he should seek attention because it looked like the center's nose was broken.

Bogut said Iverson's elbow flew out accidentally and caught him, and Bogut did not immediately run upcourt when the Bucks gained possession.

But he stayed in the game and thought he was all right, until Grillo pointed.

"It's part of the game. It was nobody's fault; it's just part of the NBA," Bogut said.

Bogut said he hoped a custom mask could be made for him in time for the Bucks' game at Minnesota on Friday night.

"It's kind of bad timing in a way with Thanksgiving," said Bogut, who said he's somewhat uncomfortable wearing a mask.

"I'll take it off when I can. I'm not going to wear it the whole year."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/nov05/373008.asp

1 - 2 of 2 Posts