Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though the Bronco's had a very impressive non-conference year, and an excellent start to the MAC season, without a doubt their biggest test of the year so far will come one week from tomorrow on Jan. 21st when the broncos have to travel to Kent State to meet the golden flashes, in a showdown of the MAC's two elite teams. This will also go a long way i think in getting one of these two teams into the top 25, and even more an at-large bid as long as they finish strong. Go Broncos!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TV and respect

I definitely agree without a doubt that the Kent State vs. Western Michigan game should definitely be on television, but once again the MAC gets no respect, but they will turn some heads when tournament time comes around. GO BRONCOS

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the line

It SHOULD be on television...but it wont...looks like we'll be getting ESPN Full Court for the 21st :cool: . The AP rankings in todays paper said WMU had 12 votes for the top 25 and KSU had 1vote for the top 25.

Looks like a ranking may be on the line for the winner of this game...can't wait :grinning:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The stats predict a war. Kent is # 1 in the MAC in defense with 61 points allowed per game - WMU is #3 with 63.5. Conversely, WMU is #2 in offense at 75.9 per game with Kent at #4 at 74.9.

It is a tale of two different teams. No one at Kent shows up in the MAC top 10 scoring- WMU has the top two. We have most starting players averaging between 10 and 14 points per game- which means everyone scores. We are assasins from the arc with over four players averaging over.600 on three's with 13 or more attempts. Big John is dealdy in the paint. There is almost NO downside on any substitution, except Bg John. As the Marshall coach said: "Where do you defend them?"

WMU, on the other hand, has Reed and Williams on their ways to all MAC years- playing superb ball and shutting down all comers.

It will be a battle, but I give the edge to Kent for three reasons:
(1) Kent, thought five straight post season appearances, has more experience in pressure games (2) It's at Kent. Small gym, close to the floor, very loud, very homer crowd. Plus, all the spreads give the home team four points. (3) Hey, I'm a Kent fan.

I expect a hell of a game... and the winner will be for real!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I won't think about the WMU game until after the Miami game tonight. We have the weekend off to prepare then. If we win tonight and Western avoids the upset at dangerous EMU Saturday it will be the first half "Game of the Year." After that, we have Toledo coming into Kent then next Sunday as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WMU vs. KSU

I definitely agree that KSU cannont over look Miami and that WMU cannot overlook EMU, but we're their fans, we can overlook anyone. This will be quite possibly the best MAC game of the season in my opinion, except for maybe the MAC championship game. This game will come down to who wants it more i think.

KSU has probably one of the best 3-point shooting teams i've seen in a long time, and they do have a very good bench also.
WMU however, can also shoot the 3, and their guys off the bench are no slouches either.

The deciding factor will be the little things, like free throws, rebounds and just straight up hustle plays, because we all know the big name guys will show up, and that the offenseive and defenseive stats are amost identical, so i think players like Brian Snider and Anthony Kann will be the difference makers in this dogfight for MAC supremacy.

Which the WMU Broncos will of course, coming from a western student.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well now we know. Kent 84-71 over Western Michigan.

It's likely these two teams can see each other again in the MAC Tourney. It will be another battle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
congrats to Kent

they won, while im dissipointed, its not like WMU could have gone without a loss all through confrence, maybe this will set another fire in the team, and give bronco fans another 11 game win streak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts